China trade now bigger than US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DOR View Post
    When did the US have an industrial base making iPhones? Or, laptops computers?
    I do believe both Gateway and Dell made their computers in the mid 80's through sometimes in the 90's here in South Dakota and Texas respectively. No doubt IBM also in the 80's before the profit margin went south on hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      I do believe both Gateway and Dell made their computers in the mid 80's through sometimes in the 90's here in South Dakota and Texas respectively. No doubt IBM also in the 80's before the profit margin went south on hardware.
      I like to call it the Tiananmen Square syndrome

Comment

A 'spectacular' trend is transforming the world's second largest economy, Stephen Roach says

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/18/china...big-surge.html

China's economy is a lot more resilient than the West thinks, according to one of Wall Street's most distinguished voices on the region.

Stephen Roach, who was chairman of Morgan Stanley Asia, believes the world's second largest economy is on the cusp of an even bigger growth spurt — thanks to new technological advances and a booming consumer.

"The wave of innovation in their private-based economy, anything from e-commerce to medical sciences, is really quite spectacular," Roach said Monday on CNBC's "Trading Nation."

During his 30-year tenure at the Morgan Stanley, Roach led a team of economists around the world. He continues to make several trips a year to China as a Yale University senior fellow.

"The Chinese economy seems to be making remarkable progress in transforming itself into more of a consumer-based model driven more by cashless e-commerce," Roach said. "Their e-commerce share of total consumption is more than double ours [U.S.], and that gap is rising."

The latest data show China's economy grew at a faster-than-expected 6.9 percent in the second quarter. The pace far exceeds where the United States is right now, with its economic growth rate at 1.42 percent.

"The Chinese have defied a lot of naysaying for close to 40 years, and I think that will continue to be the case," he said. "All the talk about a crash landing, a slowdown, a debt-induced Japanese-like end game, those fears are largely overblown."

But there appears to be at least one anomaly. The robust economic numbers haven't been reflected in the Shanghai composite index, which is up just 2 percent this year. Despite the sluggishness, he still says he's "pretty optimistic" and acknowledges that the Chinese stock market isn't as far along as he had hoped.

"With the economy performing better than expected, the stock market should conform to that. But I've long learned that the connection between the Chinese economy and the stock market is a tenuous one at best," Roach said.

Comment

File this one under “Reading far, far too much into the tea leaves”

Geostrategic Implications of China’s Twin Economic Challenges

As China seeks to reorient the focus of its economy from investment and export to consumption, national security will become a more prominent strategic priority. The United States should recognize this shift and cooperate with China in its move toward a more sustainable growth path.
          Report by William J. Norris, Council on Foreign Affairs

https://www.cfr.org/report/geostrate...-challenges-dp

Comment.

Let’s not read too much into the individual characteristics of Chinese leaders. These are very unlikely to be the monolithic machinations of a Machiavellian state, particularly during a once-in-a-decade leadership transition, and a once-in-a-40 years transition comprised of wide scale purges.

That Xi Jinping is more outwardly aggressive than Hu Jintao is obvious. That it is because of the North Atlantic Financial Crisis is a bit of a stretch. Perhaps it’s just different personalities and styles. Perhaps it was useful for shoring up his credentials while he purged the military leadership.

Perhaps no Chinese leader in all of history has ever adjusted his external policy positioning on the basis of how large of share of the economy is a bunch of foreign-owned factories dependent on export markets.

That China’s exports-to-GDP should fall at a time when the global economy was in its first overall trade contraction since the 1950s should come as no surprise. Indeed, if trade/GDP did not collapse, it would imply that the rest of the economy wasn’t so much in free-fall as accelerating downhill at an alarming pace.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKBN1HR2LT

MADRID/ATHENS (Reuters) - European Union and Italian authorities are investigating suspected wide-scale tax fraud by Chinese criminal gangs importing goods via Greece’s largest port of Piraeus, a trade gateway between China and Europe, officials said.....

Comment

China's first C/A deficit since 2001

There’s been a lot of hoopla about China recording a current-account deficit in the first quarter of the year, the first one since the second quarter of 2001. But, as with most analysis of Chinese data, the fog is pretty thick.

Here’s what I think is important.

First, China exports of goods in 1988-2002 were 5.4 times as large as its export of services, and on the import side, 5.1 times as large. Merchandise exports averaged US$121.2 billion a year in those 15 years, and services $22.5 billion. Imports were $106.1 billion p.a. vs. $20.7 billion.

In the following 15 years, 2003-17, the ratio on the export side was 9.8 times more goods than services, and 5.0 times as much on the imports side. In other words, the explosion in merchandise trade totally blew away the rise in services.

Add in the small investment, income and transfers components that flesh out the current-account and the result is an increase in the average annual balance from $12.7 billion p.a. from the late 1980s to the early 2000s to $209.2 billion in the last 15 years.
              15 times more.
              Per year.

But, what’s really important is the current-account balance averaged 8.9% a year in 2006-08, but only 2% in 2015-17.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                I work installing hardware for a lot of the major manufacturers for business use. Profits are indeed razor thin in the consumer home hardware market, but I have a theory why these companies don't give up on the consumer market.

Profit margins are healthy in the business hardware market, and razor thin profits, break-even, or even slight losses on consumer hardware are tolerable as they serve as advertising for business hardware. If a hardware company makes a favorable impression on millions of consumers for their home PCs, laptops, printers, etc., they're more likely to get the contract at the places these consumers work. Virtually all workplaces use some sort of hardware sold by these same companies.

In fewer words, consumer hardware is a loss leader that promotes the sale of business hardware.
                Last edited by Ironduke; 23 May 18,, 16:19.
                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

What God given right do people have in going around and demanding all countries should be democratic? You do realise for most of the time British occupied HK , democracy elections as you know it was never utilized.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                    I work installing hardware for a lot of the major manufacturers for business use. Profits are indeed razor thin in the consumer home hardware market, but I have a theory why these companies don't give up on the consumer market.

Profit margins are healthy in the business hardware market, and razor thin profits, break-even, or even slight losses on consumer hardware are tolerable as they serve as advertising for business hardware. If a hardware company makes a favorable impression on millions of consumers for their home PCs, laptops, printers, etc., they're more likely to get the contract at the places these consumers work. Virtually all workplaces use some sort of hardware sold by these same companies.

In fewer words, consumer hardware is a loss leader that promotes the sale of business hardware.
                    Are you named after the battleship Ironduke?

What if these hardware manufacturers are all hoping others quit first and they can take over?

Comment

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post

What if these hardware manufacturers are all hoping others quit first and they can take over?

Originally posted by Weez
                      I've read this one on Quora:

What do you guys think of this?
                      It's BS. There must be some party leaders who lean towards greater liberty.

Comment

Fortune Global 500 2019

There will be a lot of noise about how China has surpassed the US on the Fortune Global 500 list. While the rise of China is real, this perspective isn't.

China HQ Companies _ _ _ _ _ 112
                        Hong Kong PRC Companies _ _ _ 4
                        HK non-PRC _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 3
                        Taiwan _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _10
                        Greater China _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 129
                        United States _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ 121
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by hboGYT View Post
                          No, I took the name Ironduke from the engine (General Motors Iron Duke Straight-4 engine) in the car I drove at the time.

I've used a picture of the HMS Iron Duke as an avatar at times, which in turn is named for the Duke of Wellington. I didn't know or was barely aware about these other uses of Iron Duke at the time I picked the name, though.

Haven't really given it any thought.

Funny thing is, for example, IBM exited the consumer market 14 years ago and sold it off to Lenovo.

As much as Lenovo has tried to build up the capabilities in-house to provide warranty, technical, and break-fix support for their laptops, PCs, thin clients, and workstations, they've completely failed. Every time they've tried, they've been forced me to go back and pay IBM to provide most or all of these services for them. Including at this present moment.

Lenovo has proven incapable of providing these services to their Western customers. And I remind you they've had 14 years to try to build up these capabilities.

I suspect IBM is making more money selling these services to Lenovo, than the sum total IBM would have had made had they retained ownership of their PC business, and been responsible to provide these services as the manufacturer. IBM is better off and making more money selling these services as a third-party to the company that purchased one of their old product lines.
                          Last edited by Ironduke; 23 Jul 19,, 15:09.
                          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                          X