• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refueling of CVN 72 postponed

Nuclear refueling is latest budget crisis cut
    By Christopher P. Cavas - Staff writer
    Posted : Friday Feb 8, 2013 14:53:54 EST
    The refueling overhaul of the nuclear-powered aircraft carrier Abraham Lincoln has been postponed by the Navy — another manifestation of Congress’s inability to pass a 2013 defense funding bill.

The ship was scheduled to move in mid-February from Virginia’s Norfolk naval base to Newport News Shipbuilding to begin a $3.3 billion, three-and-a-half-year overhaul. The work, called a refueling complex overhaul (RCOH), is a major mid-life job that renews the ship to serve another 20-25 years.

The Navy needs $1.5 billion to cover the work through the end of September, which is the end of fiscal 2013. While Congress granted $96 million in October to cover expenses for the first half of the fiscal year, that money runs out after March, and the Navy doesn’t want to make the move to Newport News without knowing whether it has the money to continue the work in the spring.

For now, the Lincoln will remain pierside at the naval base until Congress sorts out the funding picture.

Any significant delay in beginning the Lincoln’s RCOH will ripple through years of carrier scheduling. A carrier undergoing RCOH typically spends about 18 months in drydock at Newport News. As soon as Lincoln completes her drydock period, the dock is scheduled to receive the carrier Enterprise to defuel its reactors and prepare her for eventual dismantling. By the time that job is complete, the George Washington, the next carrier to undergo the refueling overhaul, is scheduled to arrive.

Across those three jobs, the dock is scheduled to have a carrier in it into early 2018 for all except a handful of weeks.

Any delay, the Navy noted in a statement, will also have an impact on carrier maintenance and operational availability, and increase the Lincoln’s RCOH costs.

Congress can address the Lincoln’s funding shortfall by taking special action to address the cost differences or, the Navy noted in a statement, by passing a 2013 defense spending bill.

“The fiscal uncertainty created by not having an appropriations bill — and the measures we are forced to take as a result — place significant stress on an already strained force and undermines the stability of a fragile industrial base,” the Navy said in a statement announcing the ROCH delay.

How sad

Comment

Beginning of the end. What's the point of Aircraft carriers when you are broke? We are most certainly broke, and won't have the title of reserve currency to fall back on much longer.

At that point? Depression Era Germany Hyperinflation or simple default on debts...maybe Japan's lost decade.

It kind of makes you just want to say F the world, protectionism is the way to go.

When times are bad, lashing out is so much more tempting...

Please someone tell me im being too much of a gloom and doomer .

Comment

Originally posted by diablo49 View Post
        Beginning of the end. What's the point of Aircraft carriers when you are broke? We are most certainly broke, and won't have the title of reserve currency to fall back on much longer.

At that point? Depression Era Germany Hyperinflation or simple default on debts...maybe Japan's lost decade.

It kind of makes you just want to say F the world, protectionism is the way to go.

When times are bad, lashing out is so much more tempting...

Please someone tell me im being too much of a gloom and doomer .
        I share your feelings. I will be true to myself and do some lashing out now: WHERE DID THE Ł7T BORROWING THAT WAS SUPPOSED TO SAVE THE NATION GO TO :bang:??????? WHERE IS THE PROMISED 'CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE' OR SO CALLED 'WE, THE ONES WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR' :insane:???????? I feel like shooting somebody!!!!!!!
        Last edited by Zinja; 10 Feb 13,, 21:01. Reason: spelling

Comment

Some the money went towards Egypt's 20 new F-16's and 200 export versions of the M-1 Abrams main battle tank.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Some the money went towards Egypt's 20 new F-16's and 200 export versions of the M-1 Abrams main battle tank.
            Helping democracy, right?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
              Helping democracy, right?
              That is what is being told.

Comment

Its Bull crap.

If the RCOH was so pressing, they would transfer funds from other ship projects. Its the navy putting in for more funding. A OMG we cannot work if you keep us at 2012 funding. We will fall apart.

And surfgun, none of the Navys money went for Egyptian Tanks or F-16s. Your mixing State Dept money with DoN Money. 2 separate piles.

Comment

Agreed with the gunny, They have no idea what it would cost to mothball the carrier with the nuclear reactors at its half life span. They cannot even get an idea from the Enterprise since they are going to scrap her very quickly. The price could easy surpass refueling it with all of the costs involved and the service life left on the hull.
                  Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                    That is what is being told.
                    4 words about those tanks and fighers: Logistics Support & Achilles Heel
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Some encouraging news:

Senate spending bill funds shipyard carrier work - Financial and Business News - MENAFN

Comment

What's even worse is I just looked at my Leave and Earnings Statement - and it shows me being paid in Vodka! I think we're fooked!
                        "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                          What's even worse is I just looked at my Leave and Earnings Statement - and it shows me being paid in Vodka! I think we're fooked!
                          Does it mean that life brought you lemons?
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

CVN 72, has finally arrived at Newport News, the Big Stick (the TR), is in the background.
                            http://media.globenewswire.com/cache...ires/18825.jpg

Comment

The latest nonsensical crap I've seen on the Net: "Obama" has decided to forgo refueling the Lincoln and is decommissioning her instead.

Yeah. Obama. Has decided.

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                              X