Carry Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry Ammo

I've been looking for the ideal CC ammo. I have two guns, a .40 S&W and a .380 backup.

The .40 is sort of easy, I use Glaser safety slugs or "Powerball" ammo (silver in winter and blue in summer, I have "Air Safe" red too). I've got some 2000 fps 56 grain MagSafe ammo too - light recoil and lots of terminal damage.

The .380 is harder, these little guns don't like to feed JHP ammo - FMJ is the most reliable. Its hard to find powerball in this caliber. I just got some Buffalo Bore 100 grain + P hard cast lead "meplat" ammo, it looks good, I haven't fired any yet - but if it feeds welll - I may have the right stuff. The BB ammo is very nice, but the packaging is terrible - they have this crumbly styrofoam box that doesn't slide out without breaking up, and it makes a mess...

Does anyone have any experience with .380? Any recommendations for .380 SD loads?
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

What type of .380 do you have? I've got a S&W Bodyguard (piece of CRAP!!!!) that functions well when the firing pin isn't shattering (I guess they fixed the light hammer strikes by now having the firing pin smashed so hard it breaks - did I say it was a piece of crap? It's for sale if any of you are in Mass) and feeds all rounds I've put through it with no problems at all. With the new interest in CCW handguns, I've heard that most of the newer .380s were equally reliable, and most don't fall apart, either. So if you're having feeding trouble, it could be a break in period thing (or you've got an older one that's just finicky).

Anyway - just realize you're dealing with a minor caliber - get the ammo that works and shoot thrice. After all, life is expensive, ammo is cheap.
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Corbon also makes some powerful .380 rounds.

Comment

Try any of the usual big names of SD ammo- Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Saber, Hornady, Corbon. Trick is to find what your gun likes and what you're comfortable with. If it's for SD, reliability of firing and feeding is paramount.
        "The right man in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world. So wake up, Mr. Freeman. Wake up and smell the ashes." G-Man

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
          What type of .380 do you have? I've got a S&W Bodyguard (piece of CRAP!!!!) that functions well when the firing pin isn't shattering (I guess they fixed the light hammer strikes by now having the firing pin smashed so hard it breaks - did I say it was a piece of crap? It's for sale if any of you are in Mass) and feeds all rounds I've put through it with no problems at all. With the new interest in CCW handguns, I've heard that most of the newer .380s were equally reliable, and most don't fall apart, either. So if you're having feeding trouble, it could be a break in period thing (or you've got an older one that's just finicky).
          You make a terrible used car salesman

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            You make a terrible used car salesman
            Thank you, Sir.
            "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

I've got an old "AMT Back Up .380 9mm Kutz" its US made and stainless steel, 6 rounds in the clip (made in the 1980's I'm guessing).

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sma...tml#post831565 picture here

It feeds FMJ well, but today it had a lot of light hammer strikes. The gunsmith at my range said he thought it was gummed up -I will clean it tonight. I got it used as a private sale at a gunshow a couple years ago, to keep it off the books.

I had a nice afternoon at the range today - it really wore me out, but it was fun. They had six round packs of 70 gr .380 Blue Glazer's (#12 shot filled) and a box of .380 Hornady 90 Gr. XTP (JHP) (I got both, and tried the XTP, it had one primer issue, but 4 rounds fired and fed ok). I tried the 100 gr. Hard lead +P Buffalo Bore ammo - it was wicked and reliable, hard on the hands though (couldn't make it through a whole mag because of the recoil, I fired 3 rounds with no issues and went back to FMJ). My Finnoici 90 gr. FMJ had 9 light primer hits (of 25) and the Mag Safe 90 gr. FMJ had one (of 25).

A nice difference since the last time, people were just shooting not hoarding and politicizing, there was plenty of time to chat about and look at guns, there were aisles open in the range. I did notice the stock was only on the top self - the bottom two shelves were bare. The ammo stacks were small too - I got the last box of Hornady XTP. I was hitting inside the 8 ring at 16 yrds all afternoon.

I think I need a .22; this .380 is not nice for plinking, it is too sharp edged and harsh kicking for real plinking type enjoyment. It's good to know I can hit what I shoot at though, and which ammo I can trust for SD (Buffalo Bore 100 gr. +P, hard lead flat nose, no jacket or Glazer 70 gr). I'd like to try the Buffalo Bore on ballistic gel - I bet it blows a nasty big hole.

I still want some silver Glazer ammo (#6 shot filled).

Attached Files
              Last edited by USSWisconsin; 09 Feb 13,, 00:45.
              sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.

Comment

I think the little gun needs to come completely apart and get a thourough deep cleaning and relubing. Maybe I'll polish the feed ramp a little bit while I'm in there.

Comment

That is one of the old single action AMT's. Is it hammer fired or striker fired? I can not recall. Clean out the firing pin channel, it may have never been cleaned out before, after that replace either the hammer or striker spring.

Comment

I like powerball ammo for .380, as its exterior profile is almost identical to FMJ. But just about any ammo is hard to find these days. And as expensive as it is, I simply verify function with 25 rounds or so, then save what's left for defensive purposes.

The modern micro .380's are not pleasant guns to shoot. 50 rounds through a Ruger LCP left my hand sore and middle finger abraded by the trigger guard. But it's hard to argue with the incredible light weight and tiny size.

Comment

I was just looking at ammo again and I checked on .22 LR. :insane:

$23.17 -- I figured that was the price for a brick, not bad. BUT it was for a box of 50!!! At Cheaper than Dirt, they only had 3 types available, bird shot, no powder "super colibri", and the expensive (23.15 for 50) plain lead target ammo.

WTF, I can't even buy .22 plinking ammo? Things are a mess - but no new federal gun laws have even been passed. IMO, these prices aren't Obama's fault, it is opportunistic price gouging and fear-mongering by the ammunition industry. It sickens me to see this going on, it is dispicable. I don't have any sympathy for these people - screwing their customers with an ice auger. People who bought ridiculous amounts of ammo might be able to resell it at fabulous prices and get rich- but then again, who knows.
                      Last edited by USSWisconsin; 19 Mar 13,, 21:10.

Comment

.22 LR is very hard to come by (almost as bad as 9mm, 5.56 and 7.62). .22 Magnum appears to be available at a few outlets (not that may help you). Just another reason to keep reasonable, or by others an unreasonable amount of ammo on hand.
                        Since Obama, got elected in 2008 I have not been target shooting much to keep my stores up. That guy has always given me bad vibes.

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post

Anyway - just realize you're dealing with a minor caliber - get the ammo that works and shoot thrice. After all, life is expensive, ammo is cheap.
                          "Minor caliber"?

Gimmee what'ch you're smoking, Bub!

You ever been shot twice in the chest and twice in the head with a "minor caliber"?

After all, handguns are so notoriousy underpowered we had been taught from an early age...read that EARLY AGE... to shoot two mighty/powerful/big (etc.,etc.,et.al. (insert ensuing claim here)) .45 ACP rounds from the "venerable/Holy/Godly" 1911 pattern weapon towards the chest and one towards the head of any and all Unholliness...or so the "major caliber" people insisted we should.

"Major" v. "minor" caliber?

It ain't no competition, it is for keeps. Buy better, train better, live better and forget your brush cuz' we only be interested in your painting.

William
                          Last edited by Swift Sword; 20 Mar 13,, 01:41.
                          Pharoh was pimp but now he is dead. What are you going to do today?

Comment

I suppose anyone who needs to be shot is a major caliber kind of guy...

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
                              I was just looking at ammo again and I checked on .22 LR. :insane:

$23.17 -- I figured that was the price for a brick, not bad. BUT it was for a box of 50!!! At Cheaper than Dirt, they only had 3 types available, bird shot, no powder "super colibri", and the expensive (23.15 for 50) plain lead target ammo.

WTF, I can't even buy .22 plinking ammo? Things are a mess - but no new federal gun laws have even been passed. IMO, these prices aren't Obama's fault, it is opportunistic price gouging and fear-mongering by the ammunition industry. It sickens me to see this going on, it is dispicable. I don't have any sympathy for these people - screwing their customers with an ice auger. People who bought ridiculous amounts of ammo might be able to resell it at fabulous prices and get rich- but then again, who knows.
                              Things are in a bloody mess. Prices of 45ACP and 40S&W have just about doubled on a per round basis. thankfully I have some left over from before the Newtown incident
                              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X