Israel strikes Syrian convoy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by S2 View Post
    While allowing PoG to obtain SAM systems can't be good, denying potential WMD to any new actors along with the opportunity to rid the present Assad regime of the same seems paramount. Assad will not pre-emptively and proactively rid these weapons as some parting gesture of good intentions. We can, and must, do so-
    From what I understand, there is a dedicated US presence in Jordan closely monitoring Syria's WMD.

Lol. Although I am not all that fond of the Jordanians (nor apparently, are they all that fond of me), they do have an excellent intelligence service.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
      I think the quote of the day was from the man himself. Assad seems to be taking hiscues from the now-retired 'Baghdad Bob', PR spinmeister extraordinaire.

Yeah, because without those damned jews Syria would be so stable.

A 'straight man' of remarkable skill.
      BWAHAHAHAHA....oh that was a good one

Yeah, he's a regular Baghdad Bob all right...can't wait to see what he comes up with next
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
        And perhaps reveals something of Assad's strategy. If Israel can be provoked into a major confrontation most of the regional players including the 'rebels' are likely to put aside current activities to fight Israel. It's like the dog characters in the movie Up: complex conversations and activities until someone says "SQUIRREL", or in this case Jew.
        In the current climate i don't see anyone spilling their blood for Assad. Listen to the deafening silence of the rest of the muslim world on this incident. All this bluster by Turkey is just aimed at Assad and Hezbollah to expend themselves by opening another front. Hezbollah wouldn't dare from Lebanon, the Lebanese have no stomach for it. As for Asaad good luck finding comradeship with Al-Nusra Front. Turkey would find it difficult very difficult supporting anyone against Israel, the incoming Pentagon chief does not seem to entertain Turkey's attitude towards Israel that would disturb peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
          Source: YNet News

From the rough & tough Turks who demanded NATO Patriot protection after a few errant mortar rounds
          The Turkish Minister insisted that Turkey will not stand by as Israel attacks a Muslim country.
          Yes, they won't stand by when a Muslim country is attacked....unless it is attacked by other Muslims. Then they will sit quiet and happily watch thousands get killed while eating popcorn.

Also, since he insists Turkey won't stand by, what exactly are they planning to do about it besides making speeches attacking Assad?

Comment

Making speeches attacking Israel?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              Yes, they won't stand by when a Muslim country is attacked....unless it is attacked by other Muslims.
              Or they are the attacker, or its NATO or a US led coalition doing the attacking... I bet they would even allow Asian and African nations too. Its really anyone but Jews.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                At least in terms of air defense weaponry, the SA-17 as a system would concern me less than bulk shipments of modern MANPADs into unsavory hands. The SA-17 is primarily a battlefield weapon; shoulder-fired IR missiles can be very effective terrorist weapons.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31783[/ATTACH]

Let's hope Israel's intelligence agencies are on the ball along these lines.

Added: Interesting page on the MANPADs threat
                its really scary to imagine a terrorist group using such weapons to attack civilian airplanes, with the situation around the world sometimes I fear it's only a matter of time...

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                  its really scary to imagine a terrorist group using such weapons to attack civilian airplanes, with the situation around the world sometimes I fear it's only a matter of time...
                  It happened over 10 years ago...

2002 Mombasa attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    El Al passenger jets carry IR jammers as a matter of course. The technology was adapted to Air Force One.

Comment

Or they are the attacker, or its NATO or a US led coalition doing the attacking... I bet they would even allow Asian and African nations too. Its really anyone but Jews.
                      It is anyone but jews, because syrian masses will accept help from anyone but jews. His words are for the consumption of syrians. While the rebels hate Assad they also hate Israelis so actually supporting an Israeli strike would seem to be bad PR.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                        El Al passenger jets carry IR jammers as a matter of course. The technology was adapted to Air Force One.
                        A) Was Arkia, not El Al. B) Point was that passenger jets have already been attacked with MANPADS
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                          A) Was Arkia, not El Al. B) Point was that passenger jets have already been attacked with MANPADS
                          One of two Arkia's planes was transferring high officials some time before the incident and there are suggestions it was equipped some sort of jammers. There are even reports that flares were released when the 2002 attack occurred.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I know, supposedly it was the plane that had previously flown PM Sharon, but that's not the point. The point is that kuku said "its really scary to imagine a terrorist group using such weapons to attack civilian airplanes, with the situation around the world sometimes I fear it's only a matter of time..."

I pointed out to him that it had already happened.

The second comment was to correct Z's comments that it wasn't an El Al plane, it was an Arkia plane, they are different airlines.

Comment

Working...
                            X