Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indian Navy plans to issue bid for over 120 multirole choppers

Navy plans to issue bid for over 120 multirole choppers

It could be the world's biggest tender for helicopters, the Indian Navy is planning to issue a bid for procuring more than 120 multirole choppers expected to be worth around Rs 35,000 crore.

The navy had recently issued a global request for information in this regard and has plans of acquiring more than 120 Naval Multirole Helicopters (NMRH), navy sources said here.

The navy had recently asked global helicopter vendors to provide details about their choppers in this category and is planning to issue a global request for proposal in this regard in near future, they said.

The navy is planning to procure these new NMRH for carrying out anti-submarine warfare, special forces' operations and anti-submarine and anti-surface warfare.

The companies expected to take part in the tender include all major chopper manufacturers like European Eurocopter and Agusta Westland and American Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin.

"We are planning to offer our EC725 helicopter once the Indian Navy issues a tender for these NMRH," Eurocopter's Vice President for South Asia region Rainner Farid said here.

The Indian Navy is already holding a competition for procuring 16 multirole helicopters in which European NH-90 and American Sikorsky S-70 Bravo are in the race.

The navy at present relies on its fleet of Sea King helicopters which were inducted in two different phases in the 80s.

The navy would require these multirole choppers in view of its expanding fleet size and expansion in its area of responsibility with the government stating that country's strategic interest ranges from the Gulf of Aden to the Malacca Straits.

Navy plans to issue bid for over 120 multirole choppers - Indian Express
    Sea Kings will be replaced. The Harriers are also slated to be replaced soon, but unfortunately it probably won't be by another VTOL aircraft.
    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
    Sea Kings will be replaced. The Harriers are also slated to be replaced soon, but unfortunately it probably won't be by another VTOL aircraft.
    The Harriers will be retired along with the Viraat itself. They won't serve on the Gorshkov (if it is ever delivered ). The IN has already signed contracts for 45 Mig-29Ks of which it already got 16 I believe. So the Harriers have already been replaced so to say.

Comment

Any idea what the front-runners are? Oceanhawks/Seahawks maybe?
      "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post

Well, the tender is yet to open but, "The companies expected to take part in the tender include all major chopper manufacturers like European Eurocopter and Agusta Westland and American Sikorsky and Lockheed Martin.", and, "We are planning to offer our EC725 helicopter once the Indian Navy issues a tender for these NMRH".

So I'm guessing that we'll see the EC725 from Eurocopter, and LM/Sikorsky's MH-60 (most likely, as they have been trying to sell this to the Indian navy for some while now) in the competition. Don't know who else will be in the fray.
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
          My guess would be the NH90, EC725, AW101 Merlin and the MH-60R. The Merlin is too big and is unlikely to be selected. There is a smaller tender for 12 helos already out. The NH90 and MH-60R are the only 2 left in that competition. If the IN is smart they will select the same chopper in both cases to maintain commonality.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
            The Harrier replacements. I know its OT, but this is one of my favorite pics

Comment

Sigh.....sometimes when i look up from the grindstone of expenses and EMIs, I dream If only I had luck to be in MoD procurement.
              Those guys must be salivating at the hundreds of crores they are going to loot.
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

It boiled down to

NH90 and Seahawks.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Go, Seahawk!
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Glad to see Indian Navy choosing Seahawks. I read here that S-70B export versions of the Seahawk are operational with the navies of Australia, Greece, Japan, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey .. there are using them successfully ... hope the same with indian navy .... is there any perticular number of seahawks to be added to Indian navy?

Comment

Well, the bid is for 120 choppers, under $1bn.
                      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by ramakrishna View Post
                        Glad to see Indian Navy choosing Seahawks. I read here that S-70B export versions of the Seahawk are operational with the navies of Australia, Greece, Japan, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand and Turkey .. there are using them successfully ... hope the same with indian navy .... is there any perticular number of seahawks to be added to Indian navy?

It's a good choice. Very rugged airplane and capable in numerous mission areas at sea.

Comment

Working...
                        X