No Mercy For Robots: Experiment Tests How Humans Relate To Machines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Mercy For Robots: Experiment Tests How Humans Relate To Machines

No Mercy For Robots: Experiment Tests How Humans Relate To Machines : Shots - Health News : NPR

At the end of the game, whether the robot was smart or dumb, nice or mean, a scientist authority figure modeled on Milgram's would make clear that the human needed to turn the cat robot off, and it was also made clear to them what the consequences of that would be: "They would essentially eliminate everything that the robot was — all of its memories, all of its behavior, all of its personality would be gone forever."

In videos of the experiment, you can clearly see a moral struggle as the research subject deals with the pleas of the machine. "You are not really going to switch me off, are you?" the cat robot begs, and the humans sit, confused and hesitating. "Yes. No. I will switch you off!" one female research subject says, and then doesn't switch the robot off.

"People started to have dialogues with the robot about this," Bartneck says, "Saying, 'No! I really have to do it now, I'm sorry! But it has to be done!' But then they still wouldn't do it."
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

No surprises there. I have a friend who is filthy rich, owns a 1996 3dr Honda Civic and refuses to sell it (shut it down). He even says "It is part of the family".

Needles to say, his wife bought a nice, big SUV for her and the 3 kids.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Ya, all you needed to do was look at car guys or sailors.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        Ya, all you needed to do was look at car guys or sailors.
        sad to say that many murders throughout human history were over material things.....
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Robots are incapable of:
          - Being smart or dumb.
          - Being nice or mean.
          - Having a personality.
          - Having behavior the way we have.

Comment

Originally posted by fjv View Post
            robots are incapable of:
            - being smart or dumb.
            - being nice or mean.
            - having a personality.
            - having behavior the way we have.
            y e t !

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
              Robots are incapable of:
              - Being smart or dumb.
              - Being nice or mean.
              - Having a personality.
              Sounds like my ex-wife...that may explain a few things.
              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
              Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                Her current position (ex) is one of them, I guess.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I used to think true AI, a robot with an actual and real self-identity, like Data on Star Trek, was simply an inevitable result of the digital revolution.

Now, I'm not so sure. We'll be able to generate programs that can emulate, but it's going to be a long time before we create a robot as envisioned by Asimov. If ever.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                    Don't know. Sounds more like wife of the inflatable kind in my opinion. (Looks around with suspicion).

Comment

What if one subject had no problem with turning off the robot? Do we label him as a sociopath and report him to the big brother as a possible future murderer?
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                        I used to think true AI, a robot with an actual and real self-identity, like Data on Star Trek, was simply an inevitable result of the digital revolution.

Now, I'm not so sure. We'll be able to generate programs that can emulate, but it's going to be a long time before we create a robot as envisioned by Asimov. If ever.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31775[/ATTACH]
                        Actually Data is Android.

About this thread i would say if in 70 computers had been able to compute 64 operations in 70 240...2000 until(if we draw graph we will see a rapid rising trend in calculations/sec until we reach zero point i.e the moment when the computer will become aware of himself(and will think of energy so humans spend energy = the AI will destroy us, but i don't believe because we have the Sun and with it limitless energy and thus 300 more efficient fision, we are near fusion ) so as i think nanotechnology will be already helping(mini robots are cleaning organs, replacing damaged tissue even because nano is on molecular level some are planing to insert paralel wire network in brain via blood canals and enhance us thus enable to "connect on net" because we can see the net just think you see while dreaming you not see with your eyes), in this circumstance most logical is symbiosis between human aqnd AI and human will become (Demi)GOD on this planet.

Comment

Android = Robot made to look and act human. He's still a robot.

You could parallel every super-computer on Earth right now, and it's still a dumb computer that does nothing except run programs that we feed it. And the internet is not self-aware despite perhaps a billion devices connected to it. They all do what we tell them to, which is crunch bits.

Nanotechnology is another over-hyped tech, IMO. These little silicon constructs are cool, but their size limits their data capacity. And we are approaching the quantum level in terms of data storage and retrieval. It's going to be hard to create denser storage in the future.

The way to create artificial sentient life is to have a system that can re-engineer its own hardware in response to stimuli. As an organic brain physically changes and grows, so must one of silicon.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                            The way to create artificial sentient life is to have a system that can re-engineer its own hardware in response to stimuli. As an organic brain physically changes and grows, so must one of silicon.
                            Or a least an AI that can reprogram itself within the limits of its existing hardware in response to external stimuli while storing and revising "useful" information as it does so. As for "nano tech" I agree that is somewhat over hyped. There are scalar limits to how small you can make multitasking machines. For example you want to make a nano device that latches on to particular types of metal atom or protein structures fine, here it is a machine that will do that task and that one task only. You want to add more abilities to your machine i.e. make it mobile fine you need to tack another nano machine onto the original one, a sensor sure thing, add another nano device, a battery? go for it -and so on and so on. If you want a nano machine that can move around its physical environment, sense changes to that environment and respond in a particular way you end up reinventing the bacteria.

Remember if nature could have made a "nano" sized life form it would have done so already. (Viruses don't "multi-task" very well i.e.they do one thing well and that's reproduce themselves, all we humans have ever managed to do is (sometimes) make them reproduce in a manner, time and place of our choosing.

IMO if you want real "work" done by small machines you seem to have to get up to bacteria like sizes before you can do it.
                            Last edited by Monash; 15 Apr 13,, 13:04.
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by FJV View Post
                              Robots are incapable of:
                              - Being smart or dumb.
                              - Being nice or mean.
                              - Having a personality.
                              Hi,
                              I really agree with your comments robots are not equal to man in all the ways.

Comment

Working...
                              X