Any truth to this rumor? Type 99

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any truth to this rumor? Type 99

Looking around some local and Chinese websites, it says that the PLA Type 99 tanks are armed with ZM 87 laser weapon. that isn't allowed is it?

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
    Looking around some local and Chinese websites, it says that the PLA Type 99 tanks are armed with ZM 87 laser weapon. that isn't allowed is it?
    Nope, not allowed under the 1995 Protocol on Blinding Lasers. However, it could be a new laser jammer that doesn't cause human blindness, just mechanical and it would be legal.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Nope, not allowed under the 1995 Protocol on Blinding Lasers. However, it could be a new laser jammer that doesn't cause human blindness, just mechanical and it would be legal.
      These rules confuse me...

Is it worse to blind a soldier in a war, or to kill him? :confu:

Comment

The keyphrase is "unnecessary suffering".

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
          These rules confuse me...

Is it worse to blind a soldier in a war, or to kill him? :confu:
          If I kill you, your body lays where it falls until a grave registration details scoops it up. If I blind you, you and 1 other troop have to evac the front lines and I get a two-fer. Obviously the incentive for me is to create weapons that maximize the ability to permamently injure but minimize the ability to kill. War is cruel enough without adding that arms race to the mix.

Comment

I vaguely recall that it was designed to interfere with optics and that it is not eye safe.
            All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
            -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Its certainly a banned weapon and China should not be using them N/K did 2003 , but if WW3 breaks out who's gonna stop ANYONE from using it , some from wiki

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...Zn6zoVWnX0GcMQ
              Last edited by tankie; 26 Jan 13,, 01:01.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                If I kill you, your body lays where it falls until a grave registration details scoops it up. If I blind you, you and 1 other troop have to evac the front lines and I get a two-fer. Obviously the incentive for me is to create weapons that maximize the ability to permamently injure but minimize the ability to kill. War is cruel enough without adding that arms race to the mix.
                What my question meant was, is it worse for the soldier to be blinded or be killed.

I suppose if allowing such weapons, in turn allowing for increasingly cruel weapons could be a bad thing..., wouldn't this however be in turn becomes a stronger incentive to not start wars?

Anyways, sorry for the derailment

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
                  What my question meant was, is it worse for the soldier to be blinded or be killed.

I suppose if allowing such weapons, in turn allowing for increasingly cruel weapons could be a bad thing..., wouldn't this however be in turn becomes a stronger incentive to not start wars?

Anyways, sorry for the derailment

Well, as a retired soldier and former police officer I can tell you that I prefered neither death or blindness in either position. :)

Comment

Originally posted by RollingWave View Post
                    Yes, blinding lasers are banned but loopholes still remain. Countries are still allow the use of lasers intended for optical and electro-optical countermeasures.

Comment

Working...
                    X