New Glock sidearms for UK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Glock sidearms for UK

The MOD has ordered the new pistols to replace the Browning sidearms ,, good move IMO

Glock 17 Pistol Issued To Armed Forces - Yahoo! News UK
    Last edited by tankie; 11 Jan 13,, 13:12.

Gotta agree - I love the Browning, but it's probably saving a boat load of money to replace them with the Glocks.

Now they even have back up hand grenades.... ;)
    "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

The downside to this is ... the Military Police gets to play with it.

Comment

These are used by military & most police forces in Australia, though I think my state uses a Smith & Wesson.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          These are used by military & most police forces in Australia, though I think my state uses a Smith & Wesson.
          It was an inside joke. The nick name for the MPs is Meat Heads.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            It was an inside joke. The nick name for the MPs is Meat Heads.
            I figured that. Derison of MPs seems to be something of a universal constant in militaries. Growing up near some decent sized bases (for Australia) I got to hear more than a bit. I wasn't actually jumping in on the hijinks, just a boring old infornational post. :)
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Gotta love the Glock, use one myself and have never had a complaint - not hat anyone would listen if I did. As for the Hi-powers its a pity but any firearm type on "general issue" is going to wear out/need spare parts after a a few decades no matter how well maintained after all its not like they all been kept oiled up in their storage boxes since they were purchased back in the 60's or 70's. My question though is why just the Army MP's? Couldn't the Army or even the DOD have saved some money and gone with a bulk order for one "standard issue" general service pistol across all services (special forces excluded of course).
              Last edited by Monash; 12 Jan 13,, 10:56.
              If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

My preferred military sidearm is the Glock-21. Lightweight, durable, and accurate with minimum recoil. I've never had a problem with it.
                sigpic

Comment

I have never had the pleasure of using one , but have used the Browning so cant compare but the genmeral consensus of opinion seems to be for the Gock , obviously a good choice for a few reasons , one being more ammo in the mag !

Cheers mods for correcting title spelling gaff , oops

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                    My preferred military sidearm is the Glock-21. Lightweight, durable, and accurate with minimum recoil. I've never had a problem with it.
                    What's the difference Minskaya between that and the 17 ? do you have the 17 in general use ?
                    Last edited by tankie; 12 Jan 13,, 14:14.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                      What's the difference Minskaya between that and the 17 ? do you have the 17 in general use ?
                      Caliber and clip. The G-21 is .45 caliber with a 13 round capacity. The G-17 is 9mm with a 17 round capacity.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                        Caliber and clip. The G-21 is .45 caliber with a 13 round capacity. The G-17 is 9mm with a 17 round capacity.
                        Thanks , I know now why the UK opted for the 17 , we have a plethora of 9mm ammo

Comment

My first police sidearm was the Glock 17, although we have long since transitioned to the Glock 22 (.40 cal S&W). I really liked shooting the 17, but the -22 definitely packs a punch. I greatly prefer Glocks over the Berettas that I carried over the course of my Army career, and found them easier to shoot and simpler to maintain than the M1911A1's I started out with in the Stone Ages, but I wonder if the lack of an external safety isn't better suited to police work than as a general issue weapon for other branches. Perhaps this explains the decision to give these to the MPs first.

Comment

Still use the Model 17 myself, it is nice to shoot, I have test fired the 22 and it does have more kick. It might just be down to lack of familiarity but I prefer the 17, I find it very accurate and easy to use plus the 147 grain hollow points appear to have been up to the job - as least so far.
                            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

UPDATE with regards to my previous query about why the MP's were the only ones transitioning to Glocks. Janes is reporting that the MOD has actually placed an order for 25000 new pistols (Mark 4s). So everyone except Special Ops will be getting them. Makes more sense than just the military police.

Comment

Working...
                              X