Record decline in Japan population

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    When you put it that way... it sounds like a bad thing.
    Probably worse than you think. As I recall Mrs Gunny is from a penninsular just across the Tsushima strait from Japan that has a somewhat vexed relationship with its neighbour. She might not take too kindly to him helping Japan out in any capacity, let alone this particular one. ;)
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Explains his affiliation with K-Pop. :matrix:
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Explains his affiliation with K-Pop. :matrix:
        ....alternatively it could just be due to heavy substance abuse.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
          Probably worse than you think. As I recall Mrs Gunny is from a penninsular just across the Tsushima strait from Japan that has a somewhat vexed relationship with its neighbour. She might not take too kindly to him helping Japan out in any capacity, let alone this particular one. ;)
          That a rather nice way of describing the hellstorm that would take place.

Comment

Robots don't fill social security and pension funds.
            Yep,dumb pieces of scrap iron don't stand in line at the office

However,they increase productivity,meaning they offer a cushion for a soft landing.Japan can recover its population growth rates in a generation or 2.It cannot recover after being its population is replaced by a mass of Brazilians,Chinese,Pakistanis etc... Yeah,it will still be called Japan,its geography won't change,but there will be little relation between those that lived in the past,live today and those in the future.Zimbabwe has the same shape,mostly the same people,but those who made it Rhodesia are no more.
            Those who know don't speak
            He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
              That a rather nice way of describing the hellstorm that would take place.
              You know me gunny, always with the nice.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post

However,they increase productivity,meaning they offer a cushion for a soft landing.Japan can recover its population growth rates in a generation or 2.It cannot recover after being its population is replaced by a mass of Brazilians,Chinese,Pakistanis etc... Yeah,it will still be called Japan,its geography won't change,but there will be little relation between those that lived in the past,live today and those in the future.Zimbabwe has the same shape,mostly the same people,but those who made it Rhodesia are no more.
                You wanna say Japan will look more like... UK and France?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

I'd hardly call UK and France great success stories.Problem with migration in modern world is that only a fraction of would be migrants are highly qualified.Number wise,they're few.They don't change the demographics of the host nation.That's regardless of how you view the issue.
                  You want the numbers,you must have those dumb as bricks,or the utter failures in their home nations.Problem with these they add nothing positive,unless your goal is to score high on crime rates.

It sucks being a low qualified employee in Romania.It sucks less being in Spain.But Spain already has 25% unemployed,and Romania has less competitive advantages due to cheap labour.The poor sod that goes for 800 euros to pick potatoes can't be blamed for thinking of now,rather that what a mess it will be in the next 2-3 years.But those who are supposed to think of such things and prevent them are really at fault.
                  He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Originally posted by Mihais View Post

I doubt that robots could increase productivity to keep a demographically inverted society solvent, given current Japanese living standards.

Even if they do, the effect of having so many robots could change Japanese society in radical ways, possibly more so than just introducing immigrants.

Comment

Fair points.Robots also sounds evil.But its the one of the most dynamic sector these days,and we are just starting to scratch the surface.To put it in another form,we could start to resemble ancient Roman patricians.We'll have hundreds of slaves,each of us,for the menial and not so menial tasks.
                      In the time needed to train an illiterate poor migrant ,3 generations of technology come and go.And you need resources to do something useful,not increasing the security system,wasting money on trying to make 2 competing groups not kill each other and so on.
                      I may pay somebody to clean my house.Or I might just buy a Roomba for ~500$.iRobot Roomba 560 official video demo - YouTube

Japan with Toyota is not the same as Japan with carts,but it's still Japan.Marseille with Africans is still France because they didn't pull the flag from the town hall,yet.

Comment

The main barrier for immigrants in Japan is language. So far only immigrants from countries who somehow share a portion of the language like China, Korea have large community there.

Cost of living is also a barrier I guess. It is not easy for a low skill immigrant to start up and to have a foothold in that society.

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post
                          The main barrier for immigrants in Japan is language. So far only immigrants from countries who somehow share a portion of the language like China, Korea have large community there.

Cost of living is also a barrier I guess. It is not easy for a low skill immigrant to start up and to have a foothold in that society.
                          Some cultures have an easier (and are more attractive) to integrating foreigners. Japan isn't one of those (less so than the U.S., or even China), so it has less options to cope with decline.

That could be a probable, especially given the entrenched nature of the Japanese sociology-economic system (witness the zombie banks of the "Lost Decade").

Comment

Originally posted by hanswu25 View Post

I know at least 10 people from over here who went to Japan and stayed there for as long as they wanted. It is not the closest or most language-friendly place, but once you fit there, I guess all goes well.

8 of those 10 went for masters in seismology, 2 for dentistry. IDK what it would be like to go there as a plumber ;)

Comment

Working...
                            X