Indian government seeks life sentences for Delhi bus rapists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hammer View Post
    I was about to post refuting your point of India being a semi-anarchy but stopped midway when I saw how Delhi Police (Or Dynasty Police) treated young protestors with an Iron hand. They lathi charged unarmed protestors with a vengeance. They did not even spare young girls! .There was no mercy. I wonder if the Delhi Police know that the British left in 1947 and they are working for their own kind now? It is a semi-anarchy or worse.
    Lathi-charge is certainly an old-fashioned form of riot control, but police responses to large public demonstrations never look pretty. Take a look at police actions in the occupy wall st protests, the g20 in toronto or the london riots and you'd call them all "brutal". I think what the police did at the protests is fairly normal. Their incompetence in bringing justice to rape victims however, is unforgivable.

Comment

Originally posted by hammer View Post
      Unconfirmed reports say that the girl passed away. She is no more. RIP!
      It is unfortunately true http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/29/wo...ndia.html?_r=0

Comment

"The patient passed away peacefully at 4:45am on 29 Dec 2012," a statement from the hospital said. The patient's family had been by her side, it added.
        The 23-year-old had arrived in Singapore on Thursday after undergoing three operations in a Delhi hospital"

She has been reported as dying but I'm not too sure about the word 'peacefully'. Her rapists now face a very different trial.

Comment

I sincerely hope that all of the rapists get the death penalty. Also the police officers should be held accountable for failure to protect the woman. I hope the bus company goes bankrupted in paying for the death and pain and suffering inflicted upon Damini and the male guy who also suffered this atrocity.

Comment

I am ashamed of the judiciary, the police and the political class in my country.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Sad news. Now we have a murder trial. I suspect the pressure is such that these guys will get the death penalty.

More widely, I wonder if this will prove to be a pivotal moment in India onthe issue of rape & perhaps more broadly the issue of treatment of women. It is hard to tell from here if this has had much of an impact beyond more liberal, urban areas. It is also often difficult to translate this sort of short term anger into longer term change. Here's hoping it happens.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                I am ashamed of the judiciary, the police and the political class in my country.
                Captain,

They are not the one who raped though, it is the society who did. The Police caught them in matter of a day and we do have strong laws. Ofcourse one could accuse them of inefficiency and corruption. At most. But it is Indian culture of today, that is true culprit.

I always wondered why the Indian movies show the girl wearing jeans, short skirts as 'easy', 'manipulative' while woman wearing 'saree' as 'virtuousness' and 'innocent'' ; It is not fair for one to ask for a liberal minded government and Police force, when the Indian society is ultra conservative. We are not Saudi Arabia but we are not UK either. I am sure my Driver's who are from a different India, where women dont have the courage to speak back against them, have to listen to all the whims and whams of my short skirt wearing independent girlfriend.

Comment

And another...

Published: 28 December, 2012

Amid widespread outrage over a gang rape in Delhi, another victim of sexual assault in India has committed suicide after police and suspects from an influential cast pressured her to drop the case. The teenage girl was found dead Wednesday night after swallowing poison. She was assaulted during the festival of Diwali on November 13 in the Patiala region, Punjab, according to officials. No arrests were made after she took her case to the police. It was only after her suicide that three suspects were detained on Thursday. According to the victim's sister the teenager was under great pressure from police. “The police started pressuring her to either reach a financial settlement with her attackers or marry one of them," she told Indian NDTV network.
                  Source: RT.com

Stunningly sad
                  sigpic

Comment

I hope her life doesnt go in vain, maybe this will be the awakening that is required for all concerned, the government and society.

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                      If the justice does not hand out the death penalty due to human rights or civilized people argument bullshit, I am advocating for an armed overthrow and forcible reform of the judiciary system and I won't be labeled as a rebel or traitor but as a patriot. My first act is to hang or jail all the justices who let rapists and acid throwers off the hook easily and hang all the lawyers who have corrupted the system ala Shakespeare style.

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                        And another...
                        Stunningly sad
                        The Asst Sub Inspector who refused to file the case has been dismissed and arrested. One senior officer has been suspended while a third one dismissed from service. Too late.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

Body of the Delhi gang rape victim being prepared for transfer from Singapore to India

(CBS/AP) NEW DELHI - Indian police charged six men with murder on Saturday, hours after a woman who was gang-raped and beaten on a bus in New Delhi nearly two weeks ago died in a Singapore hospital. New Delhi police spokesman Rajan Bhagat said the six face the death penalty if convicted, in a case that has triggered protests across India for greater protection for women from sexual violence, and raised questions about lax attitudes by police toward sexual crimes. As the body of the 23-year-old student was being readied for the flight from Singapore back to India, police sealed off parts of the capital, New Delhi, and braced for more angry demonstrations like the ones last week, when thousands of Indians - most of them young and furious - poured into the streets to protest against the gang rape of the student. They were also protesting against rape in general which, they say, often goes unpunished - or the victims are blamed, says correspondent Elizabeth Palmer.

Mourners began gathering at Jantar Mantar to express their grief and demand stronger protection for women and the death penalty for rape, which is now punishable by a maximum of life imprisonment. Women face daily harassment across India, ranging from catcalls on the streets, groping and touching in public transport to rape. Dipali, a working woman who uses one name, said the rape victim deserved justice. "I hope it never happens again to any girl," she said. Nehra Kaul Mehra, a young Indian studying urban and gender policing at Colombia University in the United States, said "We come from a feudal and patriarchal set-up where we value men more than women." "We kill daughters before they are born. Those who live are fed less, educated less and segregated from boys," she said with a black band of protest around her mouth.

Prime Minister Singh said he understood the angry reaction to the attack and that he hoped all Indians would work together to make appropriate changes. "These are perfectly understandable reactions from a young India and an India that genuinely desires change," Singh said in a statement Saturday. "It would be a true homage to her memory if we are able to channel these emotions and energies into a constructive course of action." He said the government was examining the penalties for crimes such as rape "to enhance the safety and security of women." The tragedy has forced India to confront the reality that sexually assaulted women are often blamed for the crime, forcing them to keep quiet and discouraging them from reporting it to authorities for fear of exposing their families to ridicule. Police often refuse to accept complaints from those who are courageous enough to report the rapes, and the rare prosecutions that reach courts drag on for years. Indian attitudes toward rape are so entrenched that even politicians and opinion makers have often suggested that women should not go out at night or wear clothes that might be seen provocative. "I hope that the entire political class and civil society will set aside narrow sectional interests and agendas to help us all reach the end that we all desire — making India a demonstrably better and safer place for women to live in," Singh said. Mamta Sharma, head of the state-run National Commission for Women, said the "time has come for strict laws" to stop violence against women. "The society has to change its mindset to end crimes against women," she said.
                          Source: CBS News

Strangely enough, Tunisia and the Arab Spring comes to mind. In the course of history, isolated granular events sometimes have a potential to blossom into profound national and even regional "turning points".

I sincerely hope that this particular and potential turning point comes to fruition.
                          Last edited by Minskaya; 29 Dec 12,, 15:08.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                            If the justice does not hand out the death penalty due to human rights or civilized people argument bullshit, I am advocating for an armed overthrow and forcible reform of the judiciary system and I won't be labeled as a rebel or traitor but as a patriot. My first act is to hang or jail all the justices who let rapists and acid throwers off the hook easily and hang all the lawyers who have corrupted the system ala Shakespeare style.
                            A country like India with a billion plus population needs a bit of an authoritative setup to set us on the right course before we can fully adopt liberal democracy. Singapore model comes to mind. Power without accountability is unfortunately the way of governance in India. It takes such a huge protest to even get a reaction from higher ups. Harsher punishments and quick convictions are the only way to dissuade criminals from attempting such monstrous crimes in the future.
                            Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock. ;)

Comment

If those poor women had concealed handguns, things might be different.

I know, this ^^ is grossly inappropriate, trying to tie gun control laws into a desperately sad situation, but when I think of the potential for violence against the women I love in my family, I would want them to be able to shoot an attacker in the balls. Then in the head. Problem solved, no trial needed.

Comment

the poor girl, if she was 15 minutes early or late and took some other bus, she would have been around.
                                such is life.
                                may the people who knew her and loved her find peace.

Comment

Working...
                                X