Spitfire flies again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spitfire flies again

For your enjoyment. One of the most beautiful planes ever.

Rebuilt Spitfire flies from Filton aerodrome as BAE closes home of Concorde | Mail Online

What a beautiful plane!!! The closest I've seen is a P-51D at an air show. That Merlin hums the sweetest tune...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Sadly, I had read somewhere - can't find it now - that after this one flight, the Spitfire will be retired to the Earth and not flown again.

That is like keeping a living eagle or falcon tethered to a perch, never to fly again. If airworthy, why not fly?

I hope (probably in vain) that jet fighters from the 50's to the 70's (and beyond) will one day be held in numbers enough to see them flying for decades to come. Like the F-100 Super Sabre... when that AB kicked in on take off, you could hear it boom from a mile away.

Airplanes that should always be flying (from a USA perspective; certainly other countries have similar)

P-80
      F-86
      F-100, 101, 104, 105, 106
      SR-71
      F-4
      F-14, 15, 16

I'd pay money to see the F-105 Thud fly again. I'm not sure there is an airworthy example anywhere. Ditto the other "Century" series, with the exception of the F-104.

Comment

Working...
      X