IDF transitions to Tavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDF transitions to Tavor

According to the Maariv website NRG, the IDF (active and reserve forces) will replace all M-16s with the Israeli made Tavor assault rifle. The impetus is standard weapon uniformity coupled with urban combat considerations. The full transition is expected to take up to two years.

IMI Tavor TAR-21 - Wikipedia

Dammit. I really like my M-4.
    sigpic

I worked hard to get my M-4. I shot the Tavor exactly once, and it was amazingly fun. I would love to get my hands on a Tavor for some real range time.
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Looks really compact and suitable for close range or in buildings.

Wonder how much time it would take for training and adaptation. 2 years switch time seems too optimistic, considering IDF's reserve forces size.

That wiki link says our guys have bought some, but needs verification. I will try to find out and if possible to shoot a mag or few.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
        Looks really compact and suitable for close range or in buildings.
        The one in the pic is the compact CTAR version I think. There is a regular long barreled version available.

Apparently the guns have become really popular in the Indian Army as well, with many of the special forces units toting them these days.

Comment

The vid is a bit dated (2007) but it provides a general overview...

Micro TAR-21 (top) and standard TAR-21 (bottom). The IDF will be going with the MTAR-21 as standard issue. The MTAR-21 can have barrel lengths from 10" to 18". Both weapons below have the same barrel length (18") but the MTAR design is lighter and more compact.

sigpic

Comment

It still is a friggin 5.56. All these attempts is like re-inventing the stone wheel. Yeah, this might give you a 5% increase in combat effectiveness at a friggin 4000% R&D cost (making a point, not being accurate) just so that Israel (France, UK, Germany, Austria) can say they make their own rifles (at least it's not as bad as the Russian 5.45 and the Chinese 5.8 - another substantial R&D sunk cost with extremely small return over the 5.56).

You want to impress me? Make a phaser rifle damn it.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
              You want to impress me? Make a phaser rifle damn it.
              If it were up to me Colonel, we'd all be on horseback with short swords.
              sigpic

Comment

What's the point in going for a 5.56 Standard issue that can't fit a bayonet?
                Or is it just for builtup warfare?
                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Get with the times, Major. You don't need a bayonet when you have a light sabre.

Comment

You can't trow the light sabre into enemy's head. I guess.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      Get with the times, Major. You don't need a bayonet when you have a light sabre.
                      Sir,

The light sabre....well...can't kill the charging horse, while I hold on to me starche of cadbury, out of ammo.
                      sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

I like it. My accuracy always improved dramatically whenever I tucked my chin tight to the charging handle on the M-16. This weapon does the same thing. In fact, it forces such. You really have no option. The barrel on the extended version probably isn't any shorter than the M-16 nor any shorter than the M-4 on the compact version by moving the bolt assembly and receiver group back into the weapon's butt.

It'll unquestionably see combat soon. Israel will quickly know if this weapon performs as intended.
                        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                          What's the point in going for a 5.56 Standard issue that can't fit a bayonet?
                          Or is it just for builtup warfare?
                          Get used to the Khukri charge...lol.
                          Apart from the Gurkhas, the Nagas, Assamese, Garhwali and Kumaonis all have the Khukri or Dah as a side arm.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                            It'll unquestionably see combat soon. Israel will quickly know if this weapon performs as intended.
                            The Tavor has seen tons of action in J&K. Our SF battalions seem to love the weapon.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Why the MTAR? The 20-in. barrel version is already as short as a CAR-15 without losing muzzle velocity and rarely does anyone complain about the excess length of a CAR-15 in the US.
                              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Working...
                              X