No announcement yet.

IDF transitions to Tavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I understand, the MTAR will be for the Armored and Artillery troops, that have less use for a personal weapon, being encased and covered in armor, but it would be utter stupidity to send them out without a personal weapon at all, so they compromise by making a shorter/smaller version
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
      From what I understand, the MTAR will be for the Armored and Artillery troops, that have less use for a personal weapon, being encased and covered in armor, but it would be utter stupidity to send them out without a personal weapon at all, so they compromise by making a shorter/smaller version
      My understanding is that the MTAR will become the standard infantry arm.
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post

It'll unquestionably see combat soon. Israel will quickly know if this weapon performs as intended.
        As Capt LT mentioned it has seen action in the Kashmir region.
        Now it is been used against the Moaist by the Indian Paramillitary, IAF SF, Navy SF. It is all over the place. Probably India is the largest user after Israel.

Tavor introduction in Indian Army was delayed by almost 2-3 years due to teething issues when it was first introduced. Now it seems to be doing well.

Comment

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            It still is a friggin 5.56. All these attempts is like re-inventing the stone wheel. Yeah, this might give you a 5% increase in combat effectiveness at a friggin 4000% R&D cost (making a point, not being accurate) just so that Israel (France, UK, Germany, Austria) can say they make their own rifles (at least it's not as bad as the Russian 5.45 and the Chinese 5.8 - another substantial R&D sunk cost with extremely small return over the 5.56).

You want to impress me? Make a phaser rifle damn it.
            its also means they can sell it for profit :)
            One cannot but examine it.

Comment

Me want.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
                What's the point in going for a 5.56 Standard issue that can't fit a bayonet?
                Or is it just for builtup warfare?
                But this site claims that it have a bayonet.
                IWI US Tavor | Rifleshooter.com

Pic: http://rifleshooter.com/wp-content/u...1/DSC_0058.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                  The one with a shorter barrel might prove handy during an urban warfare.
                  http://www.ynetnews.com/PicServer/03...7/tavor_wh.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by payeng View Post
                    But this site claims that it have a bayonet.
                    I've never seen an Israeli use a Tavor with a bayonet attached. This only serves to lengthen the profile which defeats its compact urban-warfare design.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hopefully more Tavor kits can make their way in short order from Israel to Pennsylvania for assembly, as the semi-auto Tavor becomes illegal to purchase in Maryland, this October.

Comment

All I really see is a rifle that doesn't have the same modularity of the M4-family (and vast array of accessories) and is likely more difficult to reload. I hope the trigger is an improvement over other bullpups.

And I agree with the Colonel - if you are going to design a new rifle, establish a universal caliber (7x46 anyone) that will work with crew-served weapons as well.

Tankersteve

Comment

From the SHOT Show 2013. I fired a Tavor a few months ago. Impressive. Lightweight, compact, and highly accurate with very little recoil. Clip change-out is extremely fast.

sigpic

Comment

I managed to get a Tavor. The magazines changes and the chambering is very quick. The trigger pull is crisp but heavy. The after market trigger makers are engineering improved units now and should be out in a few months. The modularity of the weapon should be improving in short order, since the Tavor is now in the American market.

Comment

Originally posted by Tankersteve View Post
                              And I agree with the Colonel - if you are going to design a new rifle, establish a universal caliber (7x46 anyone) that will work with crew-served weapons as well.
                              Tankersteve
                              The IDF and IMI announced a few months ago that the Tavor X95 will utilize 7.62 NATO rounds for greater lethality and range.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                                The IDF and IMI announced a few months ago that the Tavor X95 will utilize 7.62 NATO rounds for greater lethality and range.
                                The better part of that is being able to supply universal 7.62 NATO rounds to any unit they may be incorporated with. Perhaps they should also standardize bullpup rounds for the same reasons.
                                Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Working...
                                X