• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iran unveils unusually colored blue submarine

LOL.

Iran unveils unusually colored blue submarine | The Sideshow - Yahoo! News
    Attached Files
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Nice color match. The Persian Gulf is very blue, at least it was when I was in Kuwait. :)
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Let's not forget that the Persian Gulf ain't exactly deep. Meaning visual obfuscation underwater is something viable.

German submarines for the Baltic were also light to medium gray or a somewhat blueish gray, not black.

Comment

i agree, they had reasons to paint it that color, but the size and the color make it look more like a toy, than a weapon.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Is the little tube on the deck its torpedo tube?
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by USSWisconsin View Post
            Is the little tube on the deck its torpedo tube?
            Probably a life raft or snorkel. IRC those subs are loaded on shore and cannot reload their tubes at sea.

Comment

Claustrophobic sailors need not apply! I wonder at what sort of sortie duration those tiny subs have? Food, water, fuel... and I cannot imagine they have anything except a chemical toilet.

Comment

It is a unique submarine....

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                Claustrophobic sailors need not apply! I wonder at what sort of sortie duration those tiny subs have? Food, water, fuel... and I cannot imagine they have anything except a chemical toilet.
                Is the purpose defense only?

No deep waters to hide, limited range... hmmmm! :confu:

Comment

Originally posted by omon View Post
                  i agree, they had reasons to paint it that color, but the size and the color make it look more like a toy, than a weapon.
                  Perhaps gay pride day is coming to the Iranian navy?

Comment

Do not make fun of our 'gay in the bay' regatta you unbeliever.:hug:

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                      Probably a life raft or snorkel. IRC those subs are loaded on shore and cannot reload their tubes at sea.
                      Probably true but recall, so did a Daphne. Of course, a Daphne was a different type of submarine but the inability to reload at sea is not necessarily a bad mark.

Comment

Originally posted by kamikaze06 View Post
                        Do not make fun of our 'gay in the bay' regatta you unbeliever.:hug:
                        Do you often travel to Brighton? ;)
                        sigpic

Comment

Personally I believe that thing would be dead meat when submerged. It would show up like a sore thumb to any trained aircrew looking for submarines.

Comment

Propably hard to track

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                            Personally I believe that thing would be dead meat when submerged. It would show up like a sore thumb to any trained aircrew looking for submarines.
                            As noted, the Persian Gulf is particularly shallow and particularly blue. I suspect a mark 1 eyeball would have a hard time seeing one of these. Or if they are easily seen, that doesn't boat well for the LA boats painted black that displace 10x what one of these does. I suspect they have just enough range to get to the straight and just enough torpedoes (I think only 2x) to sink a ship. The Iranians likely couldn't sustain a long blockade with these simply for range/speed/endurance reasons; they basically are one shot weapons that would need to return to base after every engagement. That said they are probably a cost effective way to tie up USN ASW units.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh View Post
                              As noted, the Persian Gulf is particularly shallow and particularly blue. I suspect a mark 1 eyeball would have a hard time seeing one of these. Or if they are easily seen, that doesn't boat well for the LA boats painted black that displace 10x what one of these does. I suspect they have just enough range to get to the straight and just enough torpedoes (I think only 2x) to sink a ship. The Iranians likely couldn't sustain a long blockade with these simply for range/speed/endurance reasons; they basically are one shot weapons that would need to return to base after every engagement. That said they are probably a cost effective way to tie up USN ASW units.
                              How blue is blue? I spent most of my adult life at sea in the Persian Gulf. It's not any bluer than any other near as I can tell, and while it isn't particularly deep, it's deep enough. Personally I don't believe the submarine carries a weapon. I believe it may well BE the weapon. The hull being one giant shape charge. Park one of those beneath a carrier and pull the pin and you may well have a real disaster on your hands.

Comment

Working...
                              X