Thread: X-47B is afloat

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Don't blame them. They designed a unmanned stealth strike plane. Just like the Navy wanted. Then the Navy changed their mind and decided it wanted a non stealthy refueler.

They are already making a strike drone for the USAF. They already have the X-47. Just need to wait by the phone until the navy decided it needs it.

Until then follow Kelly Johnson's rule "Starve before doing business with the damned Navy. They don't know what the hell they want and will drive you up a wall before they break either your heart or a more exposed part of your anatomy."
    Damn, you beat me to it. The Skunk Works once had designs for a stealth submarine which the Navy thought didn't look like a sub in their opinion. Hard to find though. They did tests using the Sea Shadow to show how it could be equipped with missiles to defeat Soviet look down radar in the North Atlantic. They even had a design to lower the radar profile of a carrier from a barn down to a post card. Sometimes, or maybe many times, the Navy just does stupid things.

I believe I read somewhere that they thought the Sea Shadow looked like the Merrimac and with such a small crew how was an officer to move up the food chain to higher command.

As far as a stealth strike drone why not pull out the old files on the spy drone the Skunk Works built in 1970. Switch out the ramjet, drop in current avionics and call it a day.
    Last edited by tbm3fan; 30 Oct 17, at 03:44.

Thread Information