Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Marlin SST-2

Contributor

USS Marlin SST-2

I thought I would post my build of the USS Marlin. This model is a styrene kit and will be RC. I started construction a few weeks before Thanksgiving 2011. It will be heavily modified with lots of additional detail of my own doing as I am not striving for 100% accuracy. There were two ships of this class, the Marlin and the Mackerel. They were used for training ASW crews and for testing purposes. The Mackerel at one time had wheels installed on the keel. If you want to see more detail than what I am presenting here, please visit the build thread on RCGroups. This site only allows five attachments per post so it while take a while to catch up to where I am now in the build. The pictures here will be the same as what is posted on RCGroups, just less of them.

Hope you enjoy...

Detailed build thread on RCGroups
    USS Marlin build - RC Groups

Contributor
    And here is the beginning. I will not be going into great detail. If you have any question, please ask away. This is my first time working with styrene. It's not that bad to work with. The pictures may not be 100% in the correct order, but they are close enough.

I've had this kit sitting in my shop for a number of years. There are more modern ways of setting up the WTC with acrylic tubes, but I'll stick to most of the stock parts.

Pic#1 - Everything all laid out
    Pic#2 - The WTC (water tight compartment) for the motors and electronics
    Pic#3 - Tail cone assembly with tail surfaces
    Pic#4 - Flood holes drilled and filed out. Took just over three hours to cut and file them to shape
    Pic#5 - Adding some running hardware to the WTC
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 24 Nov 12, at 22:32.

Contributor
    Pic#1 - Construction of the bow
    Pic#2 - Bow again
    Pic#3 - Cutting out the area of the deck aft of the conning tower in order to add planking. Planking the deck was not part of the kit construction. I purchased stock styrene strips to use as the deck planking
    Pic#4 - Deck supports
    Pic#5 - Aft desk all planked, just needs some sanding and trimming

Contributor
    Pic #1 - Cutting out the forward deck area
    Pic #2 - All planked
    Pic #3 - Underside
    Pic #4 - Added grate which covered a messenger buoy. I will have the grate hinged so I can have access to an on-off switch
    Pic #5 - Conning tower view

Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Looking good.

What scale is this?
    Its called Tourist Season. So why can't we shoot them?

Contributor
    It's 1/35 scale. So a 6 foot tall person would be a hair over 2 inches. The length is 45 inches, beam 4.5 inches and keel to deck height 6 inches

Pic#1 - Added a brass hinge to the forward messenger buoy grate. Sonar antennae temporarily mounted. The original antennae was plastic and had a curve to it. As a replacement I soldered two pieces of brass and filed and sanded the replacement antennae to shape
    Pic#2 - Mounted the bow section to the upper hull. The joint needs to be filled and sanded
    Pic#3 - Layout for drilling vent holes in the forward deck area. I think they are 3/32 inches apart
    Pic#4 - Each hole is 0.030
    Pic#5 - Body work on the bow-hull joint
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 29 Nov 12, at 02:32.

Contributor
    Pic#1 - Done with the body work. Gave it a coat of spray paint to check for imperfections. Port side
    Pic#2 - Starboard side. The scratches are from sanding
    Pic#3 - Underside of the aft deck. The brass tubing are I guess exhaust ports of some sort. The square silver thing is a magnet. There will be a stern light which will pop up with the press of a finger. The magnet will hold the light up
    Pic#4 - This is a waterproof housing for a motor which turn the sonar at about 10 rpm
    Pic#5 - Top view of pic#3. The triangular opening is for the stern light

Contributor
    Pic#1 - Another view of the forward deck area and the sonar. Cleats are mounted
    Pic#2 - Bow deck hardware
    Pic#3 - Overall picture before painting the upper deck
    Pic#4 - Showing how the railing will look. The railing is small brass rod and tubing. The wire is 0.018 wire from a craft store

Contributor
    Here are a few pictures of the Marlin for comparison to the model.

Contributor
    A few more. There was a lot of work on the forward deck.

Contributor
    The hatch hardware-hinge was a solid piece of white metal. I cut the hinge up, drilled some holes, added some brass tubing and some wire to make the hinge a working hinge.
    Last edited by Ken_NJ; 30 Nov 12, at 04:12.

Contributor
    I used Krylon gray primer as the main color. I will use a clear flat as a protective coat.

Contributor
    Pic#1 - Taping off the area where the deck structure joins the pressure hull. Since there is no 'slot' in the hull, I painted this 'slot' to simulate this
    Pic#2 - Taped of and painted
    Pic#3 - Tape removed. Still need to sand everything down, add decals and clear coat
    Pic#4 - Underside of the deck
    Pic#5 - Added these square parts, whatever they are. AT this point the flat clear coat has been sprayed on

Contributor
    A few pictures with the decals on and clear coated. As you can see they do not have the black shading. These are dry transfer decals from Woodland Scenic.

Contributor
    And a few more...

Thread Information