China angers neighbours with sea claims on new passports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray View Post

In fact, China should have posted the world on the passports with pink clouds floating all over!
    Cut that out would you. how is that helpful in this thread.

cdude, that goes to you too.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
      Which are those countries?

Any idea?
      Cuba will not stamp American passports but will issue a page instead. Wise American citizens usually chuck those pieces of papers before re-entering the US.

Israel will usually issue a page instead of a stamp to visitors, especially if they are to visit other countries in the region.
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 24 Nov 12,, 22:19.

Comment

Serbia won't stamp Kosovo passports issued by UNMIK, Greece won't stamp your passport if it says you are born in Republic of Macedonia, I guess the list is huge.
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
          he he he this is what happens when the world purportedly ignores xinjiang and tibet. Whats more dear to china than its wealth is its "one-china" policy. Ignore that and it shifts its focus from internal to external.

I guess the south china sea dispute is not so serious after all.
          Timing.

How does this current spat help the new leadership ?

Does it give them some leverage when they get to come over on state visits and appear reasonable.

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Israel will usually issue a page instead of a stamp to visitors, especially if they are to visit other countries in the region.
          Beat me to it.

If there is an israeli entry stamp on the passport then the arab countries will refuse entry or grant a visa.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Nov 12,, 09:44.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            How does this current spat help the new leadership ?

Does it give them some leverage when they get to come over on state visits and appear reasonable.
            I don't know about that.

Chinas stunt has opened the door for any country outside the asia pacific to play a role. Do you think the chinese leaders like the idea of increasing military presence in south east asia sea?

My dad always says there are as many minds as there are people.

Comment

I don't know about that.

Chinas stunt has opened the door for any country outside the asia pacific to play a role. Do you think the chinese leaders like the idea of increasing military presence in south east asia sea?
              I don't think there's going to be an increase of military presence as a result of the recent spats. The biggest of which is Japan-China which i think is mostly to do with Japanese domestic politics.

I was referring to the passports only in my previous comment.

My dad always says there are as many minds as there are people.
              This is known as a democracy of opinions. Everybody entitled to their opinion leading to a cacophonic mess.

As opposed to a meritocracy of opinions or which opinions are better. How to pick which ideas matter from the lot.

For me the board is a testing ground for ideas, the ones that can stand up to challenges are more valuable.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                I don't think there's going to be an increase of military presence as a result of the recent spats
                I have simple a question I want to ask you

Lets say that you live in bangalore. You own some property in bombay(or atleast you think you do) but you rarely visit. One day you receive a message from your friend in bombay saying that a man is going around claiming to everyone that he is the owner of your property. What will you do?

Comment

Lets say that you live in bangalore. You own some property in bombay(or atleast you think you do) but you rarely visit. One day you receive a message from your friend in bombay saying that a man is going around claiming to everyone that he is the owner of your property. What will you do?
                  It's not the same with countries as with people.

There is no universal real estate cadastre offices. Especially not for countries ;)
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Doktor, that IS the point I was trying to make. Those islands are for anyones taking.

Comment

Doktor, that IS the point I was trying to make. Those islands are for anyones taking.
                      What you're saying is might makes it right. Then China wins by default.

Comment

That's a smart and mature move by India, responding in kind to China.

BTW some people here seem to be hell bent on getting this thread locked by the flame baits. I have seen a similar pattern in the past in threads concerning China. Glad that the Mods are watching out...
                        Seek Save Serve Medic

Comment

There's a cop and court enforcing your right to the land. There is no such cop or court between countries.

If you can keep them. The Dutch used to own Taiwan, the French used to own Vietnam, and the British used to own India.

Originally posted by cataphract View Post
                          What you're saying is might makes it right. Then China wins by default.
                          Only if the China Navy throws her entire weight into the area, losing her claims against Taiwan and Japan by default.

Comment

Thank you Officer of Engineers,

The magic words are a states "might" and its will to "enforce" it. At the most, a state can defend its sovereignty at the highest body of order(the united nations) and even if the state gets the verdict in its favour, there is no guarantee that the UN will enforce it not to mention the UN lacks enforcement capabilities.

btw double edge, china has a history of impulsive behaviour. The first priority of any nation state should be its viability. With such blunders in its wake, I'm not surprised about the south china sea dispute.

Comment

btw double edge, china has a history of impulsive behaviour. The first priority of any nation state should be its viability. With such blunders in its wake, I'm not surprised about the south china sea dispute.
                              So, does every country on earth. There are events that comes upon you that you did not foreseen and action must be taken. There was a very detailed and fascinating discussion about the Golden Temple. Decisions were made on best information at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 but I can see where each and every blunder occurred and why.

Until you step into Chinese shoes and see and understand their decision making process, you do not understand why the blunders occurred. You may think so but often, the decision process is years away from understanding.

The 1979 Sino-Vietnam War is a very good example.

Comment

It is a done deed

Comment

Working...
                                X