No announcement yet.

CBO: GCV would weigh 64 to 84 tons...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why don you just simply get some Merkavas? It seems they are designing one anyway, just with a smaller gun and probably less armor :)

Comment

Originally posted by Dante View Post
      Why don you just simply get some Merkavas? It seems they are designing one anyway, just with a smaller gun and probably less armor :)
      At 64-84 tons, they'll be considerably bigger...

Comment

If it cannot be fit in a C-130 seaplane it does not belong in the military :bang:

For the same weight 6-10 thick hulled Gav1ns can be carried with a 15 man rifle squad, SKS swivel guns, and a brace of six-pounders to give a proper broadside.
        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

This, frankly, is a non-story.
          I believe you - But we're having so much fun with it
          Giving it a company of sumo's, a sauna, a poop deck and wine cellar :danc:
          sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
          If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

TROUNG!!!!!

You did not just go there!?!?!?

��
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

AR,

As for the happy chart above.....that is what I do for a living. I am an Acquisition Logistician.
              you poor SOB...
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post
                If it cannot be fit in a C-130 seaplane it does not belong in the military :bang:

For the same weight 6-10 thick hulled Gav1ns can be carried with a 15 man rifle squad, SKS swivel guns, and a brace of six-pounders to give a proper broadside.
                Of course. Gavins. Why didn't we think of that sooner?

And I'm SURE an M-1 turret with a 120mm smooth-bore would fit just FINE on that 9' hull!
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

And this, is 52 tons.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by troung View Post

Silly, Silly Man.

What we need are AmphiGavins rolling out of those seaplanes.

Not only do they provide the best protection of any vehicle, by using the amphib version we could save the Country money by getting rid of those Narcissistic marines and their gator navy co-dependents.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Gun Grape; 21 Nov 12,, 07:35.

Comment

(pdf link doesn't work. think it knows I'm a foreigner?...)

Seriously, at that weight, it looks like someone is eyeing both the BMP-3 (with all it's weapons) and the Namer (with all it's armour). I'm thinking the US will end up with a hybrid of the 2: a heavy APC (Namer) with a turret loaded with 2-3 guns and missle launchers (BMP-3), plus enough electronics to power Apple...

Comment

Originally posted by dan m View Post
                        How is this future acquisitions disastor conducive to the US Army being a mobile force that can be quickly deployed to different parts of the world? This vehicle makes no sense considering the Pacific pivot that this administration is making.
                        Not if it floats :)
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                          AR,

you poor SOB...

Hey, its inside work and no heavy lifting so I got that going for me!

Only 11 more years to retirement!!!
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                            Not if it floats :)
                            So does shit....

For the Pacific pivot we do not need GCV as the assault units....that is what Strykers, JTVs and amphibs are for.

As for the GCVs being too heavy for some areas....I say bullshit. Read the combat studies of armor forces in Viet Nam. Most people do not realize that only a minimal amount of the country was NO GO terrain for armor...to include MBTs.

As to ground pressure...I can guarantee you I took my Bradleys in some places at FT Stewart, GA, (the original Camp Swampy) than I ever thought about taking M113s. Even though the Bradley weighed twice the M113 it had lower ground pressure than than the APC.

As for air mobility requirement.

The C-130 is not a requirement. And it is easy to place afloat prepostion ships in Guam with the vehicles and ammo and just fly in crews...like we did for Desert Storm and OIF.
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Not only do they provide the best protection of any vehicle, by using the amphib version we could save the Country money by getting rid of those Narcissistic marines and their gator navy co-dependents.
                              It needs SKS swivel guns to allow the VULTURE squad to break down AK-47 magazines and then RELOAD the ammo into SOUND CLIPS and a BOW-MOUNTED 8 inch gun like the TACTICALLY SOUND STUG so it van win the battle against the earth (TBATE) and use terrain to maneuver OFF ROAD into position and give close range support to AIRBORNE Marines (not pansy marines).

As to ground pressure...I can guarantee you I took my Bradleys in some places at FT Stewart, GA, (the original Camp Swampy) than I ever thought about taking M113s. Even though the Bradley weighed twice the M113 it had lower ground pressure than than the APC.
                              BULLSHIT you heavist egomaniac - the STUG (Sheridan TUrreted Gav1n) can go up sheer cliffs with a full ELEVEN man paratrooper squad of proud Americans with a sound 152mm cannon unlike the female tank Bradley with its small squad of seven co-dependent high school drop outs with a water gun 25mm.

The larger 33-ton Bradley GIRL TANK (BGT) is cramped with just 6 dismounts who are enclosed and CANNOT fight from their vehicle in this way, the same mistake the Russians made in Grozny. The BGT's gun system driving training focus results in dismount infantry acting as "security guards for tanks" not acting as a separate maneuver element--the same mistake the Russians made earlier in Afghanistan when they couldn't defeat the guerrillas who were in positional advantage up the side of steep mountains. The smaller but THICKERSKINNED 11-ton GAV1N can carry a FULL 13 man paratrooper dismount squad that can see heads out of the top troop hatch situationally AWARE, with weapons ready-to-fire along with a 152mm CANNON.

For the Pacific pivot we do not need GCV as the assault units....that is what Strykers, JTVs and amphibs are for.
                              If you want to die on the beach. We need THICK SKINNED STUG tanks with a full rifle squad to assault from seaplanes and take the fight deep inland with INTEGRAL FIRESUPPORT. Even a Cambodian tank battalion could check a MEB with its wheeled death traps and bloated amtracks and weak co-dependents still dreaming of WW2 Iwo Jimas and wasting taxpayer MONEY on JSFs rather then tactically sound STUKAs-ina-Box.
                              Last edited by troung; 22 Nov 12,, 02:40.
                              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Troung

1. Tell your therapist to up your meds.

2. Start drinking....heavily.

3. Happy Thanksgiving.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X