Bal Thackeray -Right wing hindutva leader dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bal Thackeray -Right wing hindutva leader dead

Good riddance to this bastard, hope the rest of his clan follows him into obsolescence

BBC News - Bal Thackeray funeral: Thousands mourn right-wing leader

What's disgusting is that this worm , without any constitutional posts, gets a state funerals as otherwise his followers are going to trash the city.
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Good!
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Good riddance.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
        Good riddance to this bastard, hope the rest of his clan follows him into obsolescence.
        His clan is split. So his nephew & son will be competing with each other.

The problem is these characters are useful to both national parties. The industrialists loved him because he fought the trade unions. That is why they have lasted this long and he gets a state funeral.

It amazes me that he lived as long and nobody tried to take him out for all that he's done.
        Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Nov 12,, 23:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
          His clan is split. So his nephew & son will be competing with each other.

The problem is these characters are useful to both national parties. The industrialists loved him because he fought the trade unions. That is why they have lasted this long and he gets a state funeral.

It amazes me that he lived as long and nobody tried to take him out for all that he's done.
          He gets a state funeral as else Bombay will burn. Lots of shops closed their shutters and parts of the city went into lockdown because they were afraid of what his thugs would do.
          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            Good!
            Just curious here, do you really know who this guy was and his history? I'm asking because he isn't exactly famous outside of India and maybe Pakistan (the latter only because his party workers once dug up a cricket pitch to stop an Indo-Pak match).
            Last edited by Firestorm; 19 Nov 12,, 08:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
              Just curious here, do you really know who this guy was and his history? I'm asking because he isn't exactly famous outside of India and maybe Pakistan (the latter only because his party workers once dug up a cricket pitch to stop an Indo-Pak match).
              I have a pretty good idea & have done for decades. I don't limit my understanding of the world simply to its 'famous' citizens. He was an important figure in an important nation. More's the pity.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                He gets a state funeral as else Bombay will burn. Lots of shops closed their shutters and parts of the city went into lockdown because they were afraid of what his thugs would do.
                And these thugs are more powerful than the state ?

My point is the only reason they exist is because the state tolerates them.

Comment

The state is irrelevant when it comes to political thugs. If Sainik thugs beat you up in Bombay, the state is not going to help you.

If today you are not a member of Trinamul and if CPM thugs beat you up in Bengal, Didi will not give a damn about you.

Comment

The state is irrelevant when it comes to political thugs. If Sainik thugs beat you up in Bombay, the state is not going to help you.

If today you are not a member of Trinamul and if CPM thugs beat you up in Bengal, Didi will not give a damn about you.

Comment

21-year-old girl held for Facebook post questioning Mumbai's 'Bal Thackeray shutdown'

MUMBAI: Police on Sunday arrested a 21-year-old girl for questioning the total shutdown in the city for Bal Thackeray's funeral on her Facebook account.

Another girl who 'liked' the comment was also arrested.

The duo were booked under Section 295 (a) of the IPC (for hurting religious sentiments ) and Section 64 (a) of the Information Technology Act, 2000. Though the girl withdrew her comment and apologized, a mob of some 2,000 Shiv Sena workers attacked and ransacked her uncle's orthopaedic clinic at Palghar, north of Mumbai.

Both the girls have been released on bail within hours, according to media reports.

The 21-year-old arrested for her Facebook post was among many who aired opinions on social networking sites.

"Her comment said people like Thackeray are born and die daily and one should not observe a 'bandh' (city shutdown) for that," Police Inspector Uttam Sonawane told the Mumbai Mirror.

Despite widespread concerns, there were no reports of unrest in Mumbai itself on the day of Bal Thackeray's crematon.

In recent months, the country has shown sensitivity to criticism of its politicians, sparking criticism in turn from freedom of speech campaigners.

In September, campaigners were outraged by the arrest in Mumbai on charges of sedition of a cartoonist for his anti-corruption drawings. The charges were later dropped.
                      Now, that arrest is unconstitutional, but will anyone be held culpable for it? Highly doubt it.

Justice Katju reacts to TOI report, asks Prithviraj Chavan to probe Facebook user's arrest - The Times of India

NEW DELHI: Press Council chief Markandey Katju has asked Maharashtra CM Prithviraj Chavan to inquire in to the wrongful arrest of a woman for protesting against a bandh following Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray's death.

Reacting to a TOI report that had said that a woman had been arrested for protesting against the shut down in Mumbai on the occasion of Thackeray's death on social networking site facebook Katju said it was "absurd" to say that protest would hurt religious sentiment.

Katju said that the arrest was a criminal act since under sections 341 and 342 it is a crime to wrongfully arrest or wrongfully confine someone who has committed no crime.

"Hence if the facts reported are correct, I request you to immediately order the suspension, arrest, chargesheeting and criminal prosecution of the police personnel (however high they may be) who ordered as well as implemented the arrest of that woman, failing which I will deem it that you as chief minister are unable to run the state in a democratic manner as envisaged by the Constitution to which you have taken oath, and then the legal consequences will follow," he added.
                      So DE is right. The thugs are technically not more powerful than the state, but it is the state itself which chooses to pander to them.
                      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                        Now, that arrest is unconstitutional, but will anyone be held culpable for it? Highly doubt it.
                        I remain sceptical that girl got arrested if there is even a girl. Its way too soon and we are not that efficient.

But i appreciate such a story would spread like wildfire and the effect would be to make people a little more careful with what they say online ;)
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Nov 12,, 22:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                          The thugs are technically not more powerful than the state, but it is the state itself which chooses to pander to them.
                          Thackeray was very useful to the powers that be, he held the communist influence in maha back so that the business people and congress that liked him. Then he gives the unemployed and disaffected a way to channel their frustrations so they don't take it out in an unpredictable way. Basically we got less violence as a result of thackeray. Can't prove that ofc.

Then he gives the BJP a win. And congress now counts on SS & MNS to split the vote so they cannot come back. The man survived because he was very useful to a lot of people.

The biggest joke for me is after all his anti-muslim vitriol he ends up with a muslim cardiologist who he trusted

Comment

The law that was used to arrest the poor girl (and her friend who liked the FB post) was the one brought in by Kapil Sibal (who, for the record, belongs to the secular and benevolent Congress, rather than any evil right wing Hindu party). It is the same law that was used to arrest a guy who tweeted that P Chidambaram's son had amassed more wealth than Robert Vadra and the cartoonist whose cartoons were deemed offensive by Mamata Bannerjee.

With laws like this you can be forgiven for thinking that you live in the former soviet union rather than a purported democracy.

Kapil Sibals law--Tweet and go to jail
                            Last edited by Firestorm; 19 Nov 12,, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              I have a pretty good idea & have done for decades. I don't limit my understanding of the world simply to its 'famous' citizens. He was an important figure in an important nation. More's the pity.
                              Fair enough. My apologies.

Comment

Working...
                              X