Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New sniper record for 2.8km?!

2815 meters kill... daaaamn.

The record for longest sniper kill has been broken (unoficial ?)

At this point, maybe such weapons should be reclassified as "portable artillery"?!

Nice! As the article said, Barrett's back on top.

Officially, the US military considers the Barrett to be an "anti-materiel" weapon, not a sniper rifle, but it works pretty well as a sniper rifle, too.
    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

not the first time, a weapon is used for not intended purposes, soviets used nsv 12,7mm machine gun as long range sniper weapon.

great shot, congrads to australians.,
      "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

My mind is boggled at how people make these shots when there is so much to calculate, bullet drop, wind-speed, barrel temperature etc. To calculate all these variables on top of firing the shot, a ton of work for a 2 man team

Comment

I personally wonder why the targets don't move.

Comment

"I personally wonder why the targets don't move."

Time of flight was supposedly 6 seconds. Speed of sound at that distance would be approx. 8 seconds. He never heard the round which hit him.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

They do move.

This wasn't some snap shot. I'm sure they had observed the target long enough to establish his movement pattern.
              Then they applied a little "sniper magic" and successfully engaged the target.

BZ to those fine marksmen.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                They do move.

This wasn't some snap shot. I'm sure they had observed the target long enough to establish his movement pattern.
                Then they applied a little "sniper magic" and successfully engaged the target.
                I'm assuming that also has something to do with the fact that they used two different snipers for the same target instead of one; kind of like the CEP with a nuclear weapon: if the use of one weapon means a CEP of, say, 75%, the use of two weapons increases the CEP to 90% (theoretically).
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post

Time of flight was supposedly 6 seconds. Speed of sound at that distance would be approx. 8 seconds. He never heard the round which hit him.
                  People never hear the shot that kills em thats for sure ,, still its classy sniping . :wors:

Comment

No. I don't mean why he doesn't move in relation to the gunshot. I was thinking why those targets in all the long distance kills didn't move at all. I have always felt that to stay within an area where the bullet will hit for 6 seconds is odd unless you're sleeping. Heck, even when you're sitting and eating there might be enough variation in movement for a shot to miss at 2+km.

Perhaps Gunny could be right, but I still find it hard to fathom.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                      I'm assuming that also has something to do with the fact that they used two different snipers for the same target instead of one; kind of like the CEP with a nuclear weapon: if the use of one weapon means a CEP of, say, 75%, the use of two weapons increases the CEP to 90% (theoretically).
                      Then how would you determine who actually hit the target?

Comment

Wait, what? The .50's rounds are supersonic?!

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        The article says "commander". I can imagine a group of men talking around a table, or standing in front of a board/map. That would make them imobile, or close...

Comment

All modern military rifles are supersonic, mach 2 or 3 at the muzzle. Bullet beats the sound to the target.

People can't move ALL of the time. Maybe the guy sat down to rest. Maybe he was heeding the call of nature.

Comment

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
                            Then how would you determine who actually hit the target?
                            We'll probably never know who actually fired the killing the shot, nor does it really matter; the mission was a success, the job got done, that's all that really matters. Plus, these guys are specops, nobody's going to say anything for quite a while (if at all).

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                              We'll probably never know who actually fired the killing the shot, nor does it really matter; the mission was a success, the job got done, that's all that really matters. Plus, these guys are specops, nobody's going to say anything for quite a while (if at all).
                              I think you missed my point Stitch.

While in this instance 2 rifles were used, other 2km+ shots where they were able to give a statement like:
                              The previous record for longest sniper kill shot was held by Corporal Craig Ferguson of the British Army. His shot(s) were taken at a distance of 2707 yd or 2475 m with a .338 Lapua fired from a L115A3 rifle
                              2 rifles couldn't be involved - or they couldn't credit the kill to a person.
                              Last edited by chanjyj; 18 Nov 12,, 17:32.

Comment

Working...
                              X