US Says Iran Fired On US Drone Over Gulf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
    Why don't you guys send a drone to the moon?
    Perhaps that is where these orbital drones are based? ;)
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

:) Sounds like a plan. Base them on the moon and drop them on the Earth.

Bet noone ever thought of that.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Yup.
        After Iranians shoot down the drone of USA, USA protest and require Iranian apologise and compersation. Or the US airforce will send 100 B52 who load milk sugar,saltine crackers and pictures of sex girls bomb the Iran.
        Irianians shout: Allah, this is poison,we surrender!

Originally posted by S2 View Post
        "...Because the drone of USA often fly on height about 20000-30000 kilometers..."

Yup.

They swim too.
        Last edited by udake; 12 Nov 12,, 05:46.

Comment

Udake, your earlier "cost analysis" of weapons is a very common misconception on how armed conflict is conducted. You don't withhold that $500,000 air to air missile because the drone target is worth only $100,000... you blow it out of the sky. And you go right ahead and shoot that $25,000 Hellfire missile on that single Taliban soldier huddled in a ditch.

Why? Because the intelligence that drone could provide to the enemy might cause a large battle to be lost. And that Taliban soldier might blow up a truck full of soldiers the very next day.

Back OT: Iran operates only relatively ancient SAM systems. SA-2, Hawk, i-Hawk. The latter two are U.S. systems, the first is Vietnam vintage and so well known from a technology POV, they probably manufacture "SA-2 Spoof chips" for just about anything that flies. Easily jammed/spoofed into uselessness. Iran is desperate for a deal with Russia to upgrade their SAM systems, but the sanctions are preventing this from happening.

In terms of AAM's, Iran probably operates the AIM-9P, a stern-aspect only weapon. They may have some extremely limited stocks of the AIM-54 Phoenix. All of these have shelf-life issues for the motor, the warhead, and other components. They have a native AAM program that little is known about. They may be making progress in this area.

In general, Iran is well equipped with low technology, starved for high tech. But they don't lack for imagination...

Iran unveils squadron of flying boats...

Attached Files

Comment

It was my understanding - somebody correct me if I'm wrong - that the Su-25's were already in the air and this was more-or-less a chance encounter.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
              In general, Iran is well equipped with low technology, starved for high tech. But they don't lack for imagination...

Iran unveils squadron of flying boats...
              looks a lot like ekranoplan aka wig effect, ussr experemented with them in 60s.
              actually, easy thing to build, some turn their 2 seat hovercafts into wig effect vehicle, with help of pipes and tarp.

Attached Files
              "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

back in ww2 raf pilots found a way to deal with v1 with no single shot fired, they would flip over v1 with the tip of their plane wing, v1 would loose stabuility and fall down.
                su25 is strong enough to do that. iranians should have tried to flip it over, instead of shooting it down, might be more lucky that way,
                "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

This drone who had been attacked is no arm,the news had tell us,do you notice it?

As I know most of the drone of USA are special on reconnaissance missions and ground attack ,like "Globe hawk" and MQ-1 Predator. not for a air combat. Their fly speed are low compare the jet fighter. If Iran develope a unmaned plane use on air-combat. It kill the Globe hawk" and MQ-1 Predator, like a eagle hunt a bird.No suspense!

The date of MQ-1
                  MQ-1 Predator is an unmanned aerial vehicle, which can play a reconnaissance role, carry 2 Hellfire missiles. It is a remote control, maximum travel radius of 3700 km, maximum speed is 240 kilometers per hour, 24 hours can stay at sky. endurance time are 60 hours. The aircraft equipped with EO / IR reconnaissance equipment, GPS navigation equipment and weather reconnaissance radar. At a height of 4000 meters resolution is 0.3 meters, the target positioning accuracy about 0.25 m. It can be a soft landing or parachute emergency recovery....

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

You don't arm drones with guns. That is essentially useless. It is extraordinarily hard to gun a small, moving target. It is hard enough with a manned aircraft firing a 6,000 rounds per minute cannon, using a radar lock and a LCOS, Lead Computing Optical Sight. The only reliable method would be with a small, heat-seeking missile like an AIM-9.

Last edited by udake; 12 Nov 12,, 20:27.

Comment

I think missile system in movie is Sam -13 . The launch vehicle chassis are MTLB, but in film SAM chasing the F-18 obviously hypothetical .. SAM-13 is short-range missile, relying on rocket engines to accelerate to combat speed. It is running out of fuel, relying on the lift generated by the wing to flight. Inside film the missile engine burn 3-4 minutes obviously unrealistic, how much is that thing? How much fuel it carry? Sam -13 only attack some low-altitude attack aircraft and helicopters in reality...

Originally posted by udake View Post
                    When I saw hollywood movie "behind the enemy line 1",publish in 1995, tell the story about two American pilots who shoot down by Serbian armed. I think it is very wonderful,no matter from the story ,or detail of this movie. But I still want ask some question.

1 Why F18 emitted infrared decoys can get rid of the first SAM, But the infrared decoys invalid to the second SAM?
                    2 The last paragraph of movie was really scared me. the American pilot are superman?Dozens of serbian soldiers take AK47 shoot him, even can't put a bullet into his head?

Oh,Gov save me! :wors:

Comment

Originally posted by udake View Post
                      I think missile system in movie is Sam -13 . The launch vehicle chassis are MTLB, but in film SAM chasing the F-18 obviously hypothetical .. SAM-13 is short-range missile, relying on rocket engines to accelerate to combat speed. It is running out of fuel, relying on the lift generated by the wing to flight. Inside film the missile engine burn 3-4 minutes obviously unrealistic, how much is that thing? How much fuel it carry? Sam -13 only attack some low-altitude attack aircraft and helicopters in reality...
                      since I cant really stand that Oven Wilson fellow , I was kinda hoping that the serbs would get him
                      sorry for off topic comment
                      J'ai en marre.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979 View Post
                        since I cant really stand that Oven Wilson fellow , I was kinda hoping that the serbs would get him
                        We all were hoping for that.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                        X