X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
    Or as my personal experience went:

"We expect this mission to last from anywhere between 48-72 hours"

We stayed in Lebanon for 16 straight days, and me with only 1 spare pair of boxer shorts....
    Lol...we have all gone through something similar.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

We stayed in Lebanon for 16 straight days, and me with only 1 spare pair of boxer shorts....
      One has to wonder if Lebanese have boxers in their stores :))))
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

1) The weapons on the Apache are an integrated system....there is not simple swap out of other weapon systems without significant R&D and issues with s/w h/w integration.
        Ah yes, I forgot that in the Air Force, flexibility is the key to Air Power... in the Army, fixed systems and integration tests are the key. ;)

In the Falklands dust-up, a handful of engineers fitted a completely alien weapons system (the AIM-9L) to UK Harriers enroute to the battle. The results were superb.

My earlier posts were just thinking out loud. And I was very mistaken on the rockets. I'm not sure where I got 5" from. I was in fact thinking of the 2.75" variant which was used by all services to great effect.

Comment

BR,

musta gotten real...fragrant...inside that tank of yers, eh? :)
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            BR,

musta gotten real...fragrant...inside that tank of yers, eh? :)
            And that was even before we broke down and started eating sardines...
            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ouch!

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

How much does a "Hellfire" cost???
                I was getting nervous thinking about the cost per missiles and comparing to what we are budgeted.
                Couldn't these kills be secured using guns with much more ammo and range?
                sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Ah yes, I forgot that in the Air Force, flexibility is the key to Air Power... in the Army, fixed systems and integration tests are the key.

That is because a) we don't operate from paved runways and hardstands; b) the Apache mission was always intended to be a down in the weeds tank killer in concert with the A-10.

To make that happen the Army had to select a weapon system which was easy to maintain in forward areas and simple to sustain. It also gave a significant punch to the AH-64 well beyond that of M2 .50 cal and 20mm....not to mention a hell of lot longer range.
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

You didn't "Go Commando" in the field?

Oh, thats right, you rode everywhere. And had air conditioning.

Pogue

Comment

Oh boy,...thank your stars your diet does not include pulses that we have.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        You didn't "Go Commando" in the field?

Oh, thats right, you rode everywhere. And had air conditioning.

Pogue
                        Actually, that's one of the things that convinced me to start going commando.

And I'm not gonna apologize for riding around in my air-conditioned tank. You're just jealous
                        Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

AC in tanks?

And no room for extra boxers? Hmm...

Comment

How hard is it to defeat FLIR?

For example what if each man carriers an reflective blanket, scatter randomly after first hit , deploy blankets and be still? Would it work? It seems like they are doing a lot of specific targetting in the video. With no clear targets limited ammo could be even more problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by TTL View Post
                              How hard is it to defeat FLIR?

For example what if each man carriers an reflective blanket, scatter randomly after first hit , deploy blankets and be still? Would it work? It seems like they are doing a lot of specific targetting in the video. With no clear targets limited ammo could be even more problematic.
                              While they are being still, their military value is absolutely zero. They might as well be scattered into a thousand pieces for all the good they are doing.
                              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Ah yes, I forgot that in the Air Force, flexibility is the key to Air Power... in the Army, fixed systems and integration tests are the key.

That is because a) we don't operate from paved runways and hardstands; b) the Apache mission was always intended to be a down in the weeds tank killer in concert with the A-10.

To make that happen the Army had to select a weapon system which was easy to maintain in forward areas and simple to sustain. It also gave a significant punch to the AH-64 well beyond that of M2 .50 cal and 20mm....not to mention a hell of lot longer range.
                                I hope you realize I was very much joking, and when it comes to Army, Navy, or Marine operations, I am little more than an enthusiastic fanboy who wants to see guys do good, considering 3/3 of my kids are in the Army. Like all fans, I contemplate differing weapons on stock platforms. You have to admit that in this protracted Afghani conflict, an anti-personnel round would be more appropriate than a 30mm shell.

I know the reality of systems integration. My wife works for Sikorsky as a systems integration manager. The job is probably taking years off her life.

The AIM-9L to Harrier incident was true. But the integration cost some missile functionality. The missiles' seekers were fixed at boresight... normally they could be slewed to a radar (or helmet) line of sight, and uncaged to verify track. The Brits had no range cues, no uncage. All they had was a centerline pipper, and missile audio. When the audio sounded correct, they pickled. They were 22 for 24, IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                                X