Awesome, wish we did this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    Mongol horsemen ride their horses to the ground and then eat them afterwards. Norwegian polar explorers used dog teams as transportation. They run them to the ground, slaughter a few to feed the others can continue on. Native North Americans ran entire bison herds off the cliffs for maybe a couple 100lbs of meat. Native Americans eat their dogs after they work them to death. Chinese oxen can only be on the dinner table after they cannot do field work anymore.

What that guy did is not out of the ordinary in the history of livestock animals. I did not like what he did. But then, I would have shipped her off to the slaughter barn to get a few dollars out of her.
    This was the norm for thousands of years. Horses were treated like self-replicating dirt bikes and ridden into the ground if needed, with little emotion. Domestic animals were tools. Hunters who used dogs would not tolerate the presence of dogs that didn't work. They'd be killed outright or abandoned. Cats were never fed... their job was to feed themselves by ratting and mousing.

There were certainly exceptions like pampered court animals, and personal dogs who formed a bond with an individual, but I think the extreme emotional bonds we see between humans and animals is a modern phenomenon, modern being 200 years or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
      Hunters who used dogs would not tolerate the presence of dogs that didn't work. They'd be killed outright or abandoned.
      Still done today. Not abandoned but they are put down

Comment

Even good dogs get put down. My gang don't hunt with dogs off leash anymore ... and it takes an extremely young fit lad to keep up with them. What inadvertently happens is that the dogs will go somewhere where they're not supposed to ... onto another farmer's field ... or onto Crown Land and they get pick up by other gangs. The local gangs around here will return the dogs to the proper owner ... if after a day of using them.

But we have gangs from all over, including the US. They'll use the dogs ... and then shoot them at the end of the hunt to avoid being accused of theft ... and sharing of the harvested animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          But we have gangs from all over, including the US. They'll use the dogs ... and then shoot them at the end of the hunt to avoid being accused of theft ... and sharing of the harvested animals.
          Terrible....

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Working...
          X