Awesome, wish we did this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome, wish we did this.

Britain honors bomb-sniffing dog who died with handler in Afghanistan | Fox News

A bomb-sniffing army dog who died in Afghanistan on the day his handler was killed has been honored with Britain's highest award for animal bravery.

Springer spaniel mix Theo was posthumously awarded the Dickin Medal on Thursday at a ceremony in London.

Theo worked for five months in Afghanistan with Royal Army Veterinary Corps Lance Cpl. Liam Tasker, searching out roadside bombs.

Tasker was killed in a firefight with insurgents in Helmand Province in March 2011. Theo suffered a fatal seizure hours later at a British army base, likely brought about by stress.

Read more: Britain honors bomb-sniffing dog who died with handler in Afghanistan | Fox News

Z, while a wonderful story we do honor our war dogs....many have been awarded BSMs and PHM over the last several years.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

We give friggin dogs BSMs and PHMs?

What a way to cheapen the ones that military members earn.

If for some reason we think animals should get awards, than there needs to be different awards for them. Not human ones.

Comment

Waaaay too much attitude given the vast numbers of lives saved by those animals. Thank God we have them and the great job done for all our sake.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

No doubt they have saved lives. But don't treat them like humans. Don't give them servicemen awards.

Want to award them. Make non human awards for service animals like the UK has done.

And those awards are not presented by their military. They are from the People's Dispensary for Sick Animals. A civilian charity.
          So if the American Humane society or, PETA or the SPCA wants to give animals awards. No problem.

Lets not forget that those animals are tools, just like rifles, tanks and aircraft. Don't humanize them. Don't cheapen human awards.
          Last edited by Gun Grape; 26 Oct 12,, 12:43.

Comment

When did the US start awarding animals medals?

Reading this, it seems like the DoD doesn't do it. But its from 2010

Are working dogs eligible for the Purple Heart? - The Rumor Doctor - Stripes

"The use of military decorations is limited to human personnel who distinguish themselves in service to the nation," Defense Department spokeswoman Eileen Lainez said last month.

Was Lex an exception, or had the rules changed? Neither.

"The Secretary of the Navy has not authorized presentation of [Navy Department] personal awards, to include the Purple Heart, to animals, even military working dogs wounded in combat," Marine Corps spokeswoman Maj. Shawn Haney said in an e-mail.

The award was presented by the Military Order of the Purple Heart, not the Corps, Haney said.

A Military Order of the Purple Heart spokesman scoffed when asked whether his group was awarding the medal to working dogs.

"Are you really serious, or am I on candid camera????" John Bircher III said in an e-mail. "The MOPH does NOT issue Purple Hearts, only the military services can do that. And, of course animals do NOT receive a Purple Heart."

Comment

Honor them with Canus Familiaris medals and ribbons. I agree, they are not people and thus should never receive people medals.

Carrier pigeons in WW1 engaged in suicide runs to deliver messages. For a human to have done the same would generally be acknowledged as heroic. But these are birds, doing what they do by instinct and training.

Comment

Gunny,

They are not official.

Units have awarded medals of their own making and treat it like a BSM ceremony...same with awqards for wounding.

Posted incorrectly too many beers into the program.

I am with Chogy and S2.

There should be official awards for our canine warriors.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Naw, Buck. You're with those guys. I'm different. I don't give a sh!t whether it's a BSM (V) or Canis Familiaris. Actually, I do. Give them the same as us. I won't comment on pigeons but dogs? Plenty brave and lots of heart to me.
                  "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

I am with Steve on this one. Anyone who has owned a dog will know exactly how people like they are. They are not much different than children. They have feelings, emotions and they get very quickly attached to their owners/trainers.

As a young child, probably 6-7 years old, strolling around in the family farms, I remember being attacked by a group of strays. My dog, who was clearly scared himself, and badly outnumbered, kept circling around me and lashed out against any strays which tried to come close.

In an earlier incident, from what my parents tell me, I was saved by the family German Shepard when I (still in my infancy) crawled into the cowshed, which at the time used to house my grandfather's horses as well. Apparently the dog went wild, barking and howling, running back and fourth to my mother and than towards the cowshed. Mom got curious, followed the dog, and found me crawling around inside.

So yes, Dogs are very much people like.
                    Last edited by Tronic; 27 Oct 12,, 06:36.
                    Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
                    -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

What objection could there be to having dog awards?

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
                        Naw, Buck. You're with those guys. I'm different. I don't give a sh!t whether it's a BSM (V) or Canis Familiaris. Actually, I do. Give them the same as us. I won't comment on pigeons but dogs? Plenty brave and lots of heart to me.
                        Steve, you may have noticed in my statement I did NOT state that it should be a separate award system....I have no problem with a BSM (V) or a 3 foot long Milkbone for a canine warrior. That was Gunny not me.

I said "There should be official awards for our canine warriors." Don't see where I ruled out our military awards system in that statement.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Buck,

I don't either so I stand corrected. Thanks.

Comment

i have no problem with dog awards.

I do have a problem with dogs getting Human awards. Lets not cheapen the medals nor the service men ad women that have earned them.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                              i have no problem with dog awards.

I do have a problem with dogs getting Human awards. Lets not cheapen the medals nor the service men ad women that have earned them.

Gunny I don't see it as cheapening the award. The dogs are warriors as well.

I have no problem with a special canine award system.

I have witnessed a few work dog burial ceremonies at FT Irwin and FT Lee. It is done with a great dignity which they have earned.
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X