No announcement yet.

Awesome, wish we did this.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll use the words of the Commanders past and present of the Military Order of the Purple Heart. From the first time this silliness started. It cheapens the medal and demeans the servicemen that are awarded the Purple Heart. Same as with any award.

Do as the British do, Let one of the animal organizations give them awards.

Comment

GG, I believe the perspective diverges here:
      animals are tools, just like rifles, tanks and aircraft.
      It cheapens the medal only for those who view dogs merely as tools. Everyone doesn't share that perspective GG.

Loyal to the end: Heart-breaking photo shows Navy SEAL's devoted dog guarding his coffin

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30555[/ATTACH]
      Sadness: Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson's Labrador retriever Hawkeye was loyal to the end, as he refused to leave his master's side during an emotional funeral

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30556[/ATTACH]
      Man's best friend: Mr Tumilson's family members followed Hawkeye into the service before he lay down
      Navy SEAL Jon Tumilson's dog sits by coffin during funeral | Mail Online
      I doubt you'd see a rifle, tank or aircraft mourn at their owner's demise.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Tronic; 28 Oct 12,, 01:30.
      Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
      -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
        GG, I believe the perspective diverges here:

It cheapens the medal only for those who view dogs merely as tools. Everyone doesn't share that perspective GG.
        Past and present members of the Military Order of the Purple Heart are on record as saying that it cheapens the award.

So you want to change the rules so a few dog lovers feel good about themselves?

As I stated earlier, do as the British.

The pic is sweet but it doesn't change anything. Don't give human medals to non-humans.

Comment

I care less about what people who think dogs are "part of the family"/members of the military than I do about the feelings of real Service men that have earned the medals.

Comment

you get more jail time for kicking police dog than for assaulting someone not important.

can't really talk on dog medals\human medals, since I'm not in military, doubt dogs care about medals anyway. but i agree with GG, as much as i love dogs, but, even civilians should not be awarded military medals. imho.
            "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

@Gun Grape

GG, when you state that dogs 'do not' receive military medals, I'm totally fine with that (as long as the they are still recognized through another award system). However, when you state that dogs 'should not' receive military medals, than we get into personal opinions, where I differ. That's all.
              Last edited by Tronic; 28 Oct 12,, 03:31.
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

What's a medal, but a piece of metal? I mean what would it mean to a dog or its'friends?
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  What's a medal, but a piece of metal? I mean what would it mean to a dog or its'friends?
                  The biggest advantage medals would confer to war dogs is hopefully preventing them being declared surplus property and killed off. It is incredibly hard to retire a military working dog to the civilian life, its generally easier to just euthenics them. Ditto for traumatic veterinary or veterinary psychiatric care care. Making them warriors not tools makes retirement and traumatic and psychiatric care much more likely. war dogs get PTSD but it can be trained out of them. Plus each hero dog is an extension of their handlers dedication to duty. Finally on the military side, handlers won't come back feeling they left a buddy behind.

On the civvie side it would strengthen the fight against animal abuse by raising awareness of the value of dogs to not just the security of the home, but of the nation.

Comment

So now you want to give them VA benefits too?

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      So now you want to give them VA benefits too?
                      Nope, just life saving surgery, prosthetic limbs if needed and retraining. At the end of WWII it took about six months to complete de-mil a war dog back into a family pet. Dogs are so mentally malleable they can be completely re-wired unlike man.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                        Nope, just life saving surgery, prosthetic limbs if needed and retraining. At the end of WWII it took about six months to complete de-mil a war dog back into a family pet. Dogs are so mentally malleable they can be completely re-wired unlike man.
                        (edit) Which sounds like VA benefits to me(end edit)
                        Paid for by whom?

DoD or VA?

I have no problem if a civilian animal agency decides to take care of these animals.

In fact, I would be for a streamlining process so that the Humane Society or SPCA could take over wounded working animals.

But DoD and the VA doesn't have enough money to take care of human war injured. Until they do, no money for dogs.
                        Last edited by Gun Grape; 28 Oct 12,, 19:01.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                          (edit) Which sounds like VA benefits to me(end edit)
                          Paid for by whom?

DoD or VA?

I have no problem if a civilian animal agency decides to take care of these animals.

In fact, I would be for a streamlining process so that the Humane Society or SPCA could take over wounded working animals.

But DoD and the VA doesn't have enough money to take care of human war injured. Until they do, no money for dogs.
                          DoD only, get them back to health, de-mil them and then turn them over to adoption agencies.

Comment

It never occurred to me that there was an issue about giving a military decoration to a heroic dog. Seems to me the decoration is meaningless to the dog. Now a good t-bone would get the dog's attention. If medals and such are incentives as well as rewards for outstanding service and sacrifice, it seems to me best to give them to beings that have sufficient ego to understand, appreciate and flaunt them. So far as I know, dogs don't give a damn about them. Thank God.
                            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                              It never occurred to me that there was an issue about giving a military decoration to a heroic dog. Seems to me the decoration is meaningless to the dog. Now a good t-bone would get the dog's attention. If medals and such are incentives as well as rewards for outstanding service and sacrifice, it seems to me best to give them to beings that have sufficient ego to understand, appreciate and flaunt them. So far as I know, dogs don't give a damn about them. Thank God.
                              Meaningless to the dog, but not to those who serve with them. The story of Stuby and another story about a pigeon name Cher Ami.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                                The biggest advantage medals would confer to war dogs is hopefully preventing them being declared surplus property and killed off. It is incredibly hard to retire a military working dog to the civilian life, its generally easier to just euthenics them. Ditto for traumatic veterinary or veterinary psychiatric care care. Making them warriors not tools makes retirement and traumatic and psychiatric care much more likely. war dogs get PTSD but it can be trained out of them. Plus each hero dog is an extension of their handlers dedication to duty. Finally on the military side, handlers won't come back feeling they left a buddy behind.

On the civvie side it would strengthen the fight against animal abuse by raising awareness of the value of dogs to not just the security of the home, but of the nation.
                                None of these would be solved with medals for the dogs.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X