bad news...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bad news...

I found out my watercooler's capacity is not enough to cool my new Phenom II x4. It idles at 50C and hits almost 80C running Prime95.

Good news is this guy overclocks to 4GHz without any problems. Need to get more cooling. Might have to go back to air cooling...

Noooooo...
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
    I found out my watercooler's capacity is not enough to cool my new Phenom II x4. It idles at 50C and hits almost 80C running Prime95.

Good news is this guy overclocks to 4GHz without any problems. Need to get more cooling. Might have to go back to air cooling...

Noooooo...
    I got an i5. Cost more but overclocks to 4.2 GHz and runs at 30C on air cooling alone.

BTW, which water cooling setup did you get? My brother bought one of those simplified water coolers and found out it did not work as well as his air cooler.
    Last edited by citanon; 18 Oct 12,, 19:20.

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
      I got an i5. Cost more but overclocks to 4.2 GHz and runs at 30C on air cooling alone.
      The problem with that is I have an AMD platform. I can drop in a Phenom x4 to replace the Phenom x3 I have right now. I can't just drop in an i5.

Comment

I've had a Phenom quad for a few years. It's "ambient" temp sits around 60C. Playing ArmA2, I can easily hit the 90s. It also doesn't play well with Asus motherboards, and if I have a USB device like an iPod plugged in, I can wind up with a sudden reboot. I think it's a voltage issue. AMD has had a rep for being hot. I'm done with that experiment.

Once I save up enough, I'm going to rebuild with Intel. I built one for my son and it's been perfect.

Ed-

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          The problem with that is I have an AMD platform. I can drop in a Phenom x4 to replace the Phenom x3 I have right now. I can't just drop in an i5.
          Yep, I know what you mean. Highly recommend switching to intel platform on the next big upgrade down the line though. Right now AMD just isn't keeping up in terms of performance.

Comment

Right now the overclocking tools on the intel side are super friendly too. For my Asus motherboard, once I had Turbo V installed, I just clicked on the "Fast" button (literally). The system rebooted itself and wallah, 4.2 GHz.

Comment

Buy a bigger watercooler.

When it hits 80C+ put an egg in it, when it shuts down, the egg is hard boiled.

You and your comp get the deserved rest and you don't forget your meals. Bad news is you can't prepare spaghetti
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

gunnut - Here's your solution: submerge the ENTIRE computer in non-conductive vegetable oil:

Strip Out The Fans, Add 8 Gallons of Cooking Oil : Dousing Your Athlon FX-55 With Eight Gallons Of Cooking Oil?
                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  Yep, I know what you mean. Highly recommend switching to intel platform on the next big upgrade down the line though. Right now AMD just isn't keeping up in terms of performance.
                  I have to agree.

I bought an AMD platform 2 years ago because the Intel platform costs much more. I can sacrifice some performance to save a few hundred dollars.

This Phenom 965 will probably be the end of this path. It should be good for 2 more years. I'll see what's on the market in 2 years to see where I go.

As far as this current rig is concerned, I will switch out the fan on the radiator. I don't think it's moving enough air to cool the fluid in the system. If replacing the fan with one that moves more air can improve the performance, then it will be a cheap and easy fix.
                  Last edited by gunnut; 18 Oct 12,, 20:33.

Comment

I actually got the biggest increase to cooling performance by buying a case with big holes for moving air and installing the biggest fans I can. The big fans can then move lots of air at low fan speeds, making them efficient and quiet. Then cooling efficiency for every other component goes up because of the constant supply of cool air available throughout the case.

This solved the problem of my hard drives heating up but also made motherboard and cpu cooling a cinch.

This is the case I got:

Amazon.com: Cooler Master HAF 922 - Mid Tower Computer Case with USB 3.0 Ports (RC-922M-KKN3-GP): Electronics

I don't think the brand is really important. Just as long as it has big holes. :)

Comment

That is quite impressive. My current case has a 120mm fan in the front, one on top, and a 3rd that pulls air in at the back to the radiator.

The case is cool enough. My mobo idles at 35C and hard drive might reach 40C. The old Phenom 720 @ 3.2 GHz idles at 35C and might hit 60C under load.

The new proc idles at 45C to 50C, and hits 80C running Prime95. It bluescreened not long after I started Prime95 when I had it running at 4 GHz.

Comment

GN sorry t hear of your temp problems.
                        A good case will aid airflow over the processor better. My Cooler master CM690 2 Advanced is really good for this and a wee bit cheaper than the Haf.

GN give up on Phenom already. They gobble too much power and generate too much heat especially compared to Ivy bridge.

Back when I was using my my nifty Phenom II 940 as primary, temps at idle even with a big hunk of copper on it were at 42~45 idle and over 60 at load.
                        My i5 2500K on the other hand idles at 35:) and load has never exceeded 50:)
                        Still dont have the nerve to overclock as I'm pretty bad at it and its still so shiny and new.

Sad to report that my old phenom II system has bit the dust :( failed to load windows at first (HDD and OS were fine) and then completely stopped dead.
                        I think sitting in my antec sonata III with only forward side vents for airflow aided this a bit.

Ps: I am replacing the phenom system with these parts as its at another house where people still want a functional desktop.
                        What do you think of this config?
                        Wanted to go AMD but bulldozer gets blasted to pieces when compared to i5s or even i3s.
                        Intel Core i5 3450 (thought i3 at first but price diff between it and i5 is only about 2200 INR which is not significant)
                        GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
                        G-Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2
                        Corsair Carbide 300R
                        Seasonic SII520 PSU
                        Last edited by bolo121; 19 Oct 12,, 04:42.
                        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Aha...found the problem

The radiator was completely, and I mean COMPLETELY, plugged up. I vacuumed it to clear the way for air to pass through. Now it idles at less than 40C and hits upper 50s under full load.

I overclocked it to 4 GHz and it tops out at high 60s under full load.

It will boot into windows at 4.2 GHz, but bluescreens immediately running Prime95. I will try boosting voltage later.

For now, I am happy. :)
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gunnut; 19 Oct 12,, 05:16.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                            GN sorry t hear of your temp problems.
                            A good case will aid airflow over the processor better. My Cooler master CM690 2 Advanced is really good for this and a wee bit cheaper than the Haf.

GN give up on Phenom already. They gobble too much power and generate too much heat especially compared to Ivy bridge.

Back when I was using my my nifty Phenom II 940 as primary, temps at idle even with a big hunk of copper on it were at 42~45 idle and over 60 at load.
                            My i5 2500K on the other hand idles at 35:) and load has never exceeded 50:)
                            Still dont have the nerve to overclock as I'm pretty bad at it and its still so shiny and new.

Sad to report that my old phenom II system has bit the dust :( failed to load windows at first (HDD and OS were fine) and then completely stopped dead.
                            I think sitting in my antec sonata III with only forward side vents for airflow aided this a bit.

Ps: I am replacing the phenom system with these parts as its at another house where people still want a functional desktop.
                            What do you think of this config?
                            Wanted to go AMD but bulldozer gets blasted to pieces when compared to i5s or even i3s.
                            Intel Core i5 3450 (thought i3 at first but price diff between it and i5 is only about 2200 INR which is not significant)
                            GIGABYTE-B75M-D3H
                            G-Skill Ripjaws 4GBx2
                            Corsair Carbide 300R
                            Seasonic SII520 PSU
                            They do gobble up much more power than the current Intel procs. However, upgrading to Intel would cost me a lot more than $100. That money could easily pay for the operating cost of the Phenom for the next 2 years.

Your build is good. But I would swap out that 3450 for a 3470k for a little bit more money. The unlocked multiplier comes in handy when you overclock it.

Comment

Working...
                            X