Scottish independence vote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scottish independence vote

British Prime Minister David Cameron and nationalist Scottish leader Alex Salmond have signed an agreement to give the Scottish people a referendum on independence in 2014.

British Prime Minister David Cameron and nationalist Scottish leader Alex Salmond have signed an agreement to give the Scottish people a referendum on independence in 2014.

The referendum will ask voters whether they want Scotland to remain in the 305-year-old union with England.

Mr Cameron opposes a break-up of the union, arguing that Britain is stronger together.

The latest opinion polls suggest that only between 30% and 40% of Scots support independence.

Scotland and England have shared a monarch since 1603 and have been ruled by one single parliament in London since 1707.

A devolved Scottish parliament was opened following a referendum in 1999.

Nationalists have timed the vote to coincide with the 700th anniversary of the Battle of Bannockburn, when Scottish forces led by Robert the Bruce defeated English invaders.
    Cameron signs deal for Scottish independence vote - RT News

I find it very interesting that the number is only between 30 and 40 % at the moment. It will be fascinating to see how this develops. So often when we think of nationalism, we think of war, peoples fighting for independence through long and bloody conflicts, of peoples striving for their own country without any doubt of their cause. In this case the people may vote against complete independence, despite a sense of a separate identity (which you wont doubt at a rugby union match), for economic reasons or perhaps due to a more comlicated sense of who they are built up by centruires of union with England. This should provide an interesting case study about nationalism as a phenomenon and factors with counter-balancing effects.

I think there are more people in England hoping for Scottish Independence than there are in Scotland. Central Government will certainly save a few Ł's.

Comment

To the tune of 30 billion pounds annual.

And North Sea oil on the wane.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Oct 12,, 18:19.

Comment

I think in these modern times, it can be turned into an economic issue when the time comes to sell the notion to voters.

For example, a group in Scotland could probably create a spreadsheet that would illustrate "Taxes FROM Scotland that support people/institutions other than Scot; and assets FROM the UK TO Scotland."

If the balance sheet shows a greater outflow than inflow, then there'd be a gut reaction leaning towards independence.

Of course, such a view would be incredibly myopic. There are intangibles that might easily overshadow or negate the financial aspects of a split, but these are harder to explain to the average voter.

I sometimes wonder if the people of Belize, Barbados, and other nations once British, if allowed to vote once more, would choose independence.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
          I sometimes wonder if the people of Belize, Barbados, and other nations once British, if allowed to vote once more, would choose independence.
          Why not.

These independence movements to a certain extent arise because the local elites get tired of their foreign overlords and yearn to be in charge again. Who then sell the notion of independence from foreigners as a desirable goal.

Comment

Norway was in a union with Denmark for 400 years, until 1814. We were then handed over to Sweden. We were in a union with Sweden from 1814 to 1905; in 1905 we gained our independence from Sweden, after 500 years in different unions....

It was a bit tense in 1905 and some people were worried that the Swedes would not let Norway go that easily, however those worries were unsubstantiated and we had a peaceful separation. Today we are good neighbours :) And of course all Norwegians today are very happy that the Norwegian ruling class in 1905 struggled for and gained independence!

Whatever the outcome I whish the Scots all the best, I have met some Scots and think they are great people -- it seems there is something in their culture that is resonating with us Norwegians, dont' know what it is.

Comment

Scottish independence referendum, 2014 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Who next , Wales / Cornwall / :whome:

Comment

Originally posted by Loke View Post

Whatever the outcome I whish the Scots all the best, I have met some Scots and think they are great people -- it seems there is something in their culture that is resonating with us Norwegians, dont' know what it is.
                Must be all that friendly víkingr blood ;)

Comment

From what I hear the architects of independent Scotland want the new state into EU.

So, they will make an expensive referendum, continue with nation building, hurt neighbors ego, and enter a bigger union?

Why?
                  No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                  X