No announcement yet.

US Students Expose China’s Massive, Secretive Missile Tunnel Projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to educate me as to where Mao pissed Gandhi off.

Comment

One day after India’s first round of nuclear tests in May 1998, Atal Bihari Vajpayee, prime minister of India, wrote to U.S. President Bill Clinton:

I have been deeply concerned at the deteriorating security environment, especially the nuclear environment, faced by India for some years past. We have an overt nuclear weapon state on our borders, a state which committed armed aggression against India in 1962. Although our relations with that country have improved in the last decade or so, an atmosphere of distrust persists mainly due to the unresolved border problem. To add to the distrust that country has materially helped another neighbor of ours to become a covert nuclear weapons state. At the hands of this bitter neighbor we have suffered three aggressions in the last 50 years.

Rajendrasinh Rana, chief of the State Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), said that, ‘‘the tests were a befitting reply to our hostile neighbors.’’ But disagreements do exist among Indian policy makers. Inder Kumar Gujral, a former prime minister, advised Prime Minister Vajpayee not to project the nuclear tests as a BJP victory and warned against cultivating a chauvinist image of India. Gujral criticized Vajpayee’s adventurism and lamented that his successor had encouraged the defense minister to take over India’s foreign policy.

I can't seem to find the original source. I've also removed in-text citations for the text above.
      Nonetheless, something I've never seen before.
      http://www.carnegieendowment.org/fil...anging_CH2.pdf
      Last edited by chanjyj; 05 Oct 12,, 14:59.

Comment

Different series of tests than the 1974 test.

Comment

My bad on the dates.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            You have to educate me as to where Mao pissed Gandhi off.
            Mao destroyed the reputation of her father. Nehru was Indira Gandhi's father and she was very close to her father. She never forgave the Chinese for ending her father's life so soon.

Comment

Very astute of you. I would have never surmised that.

Comment

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                1. It is obvious that the research had been going on for at least a decade if not more. Three years (71-74) aren't nearly enough to develop a working nuke from scratch.
                Right

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                Mao destroyed the reputation of her father. Nehru was Indira Gandhi's father and she was very close to her father. She never forgave the Chinese for ending her father's life so soon.
                Why the delay till '74 ?

We could have tested earlier if we wanted to. The decision to do so was not forthcoming.

I don't think personal reasons come into it, destroyed her father yes, but so what.

There had to be a pressing national imperative, to proceed with such a decision and Nixon provided it. Look at the pattern with the other nuclear powers. This is the common thread.

heh, left out the US in my earlier post, they had to do it before the Nazis did.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Oct 12,, 23:53.

Comment

There was a recent report in the Indian press, that Nixon's China visit was the last straw for Indira Gandhi to test the nuke.
                  India wanted a US-Soviet Nuke umbrella against the Chinese. However with US aligning with China, India decided to go forward with nukes.

Ofcourse the question remains for whom the nukes were meant.

If only I could somehow find the new report.

Comment

Working...
                  X