No announcement yet.

Camp Bastion attacked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gen Amos " added that Gen Gurganus bore "final accountability" for the lives and equipment under his command" ... I thought the President bore that responsibility. It reminds me of the time my Troop Commander was fined £300 because his gunner had traversed on a HESH round in the turret of his tank. The tank was in Berlin the Troop Commander was in England. 'Final accountability' ;)

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
      Gen Amos " added that Gen Gurganus bore "final accountability" for the lives and equipment under his command" ... I thought the President bore that responsibility. It reminds me of the time my Troop Commander was fined £300 because his gunner had traversed on a HESH round in the turret of his tank. The tank was in Berlin the Troop Commander was in England. 'Final accountability' ;)
      That's a stupid rule. If you are not there and somebody had a brain fart, you are somehow responsible for it? Sure I understand about responsibility but no one is omniprescient or omnipotent. You can't control everything. You have to trust your troops and followers to do what is right. If you can't do that, the whole system just stops working.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
        That's a stupid rule. If you are not there and somebody had a brain fart, you are somehow responsible for it? Sure I understand about responsibility but no one is omniprescient or omnipotent. You can't control everything. You have to trust your troops and followers to do what is right. If you can't do that, the whole system just stops working.
        We had a new Commanding Officer and I think he wanted to stamp his authority. He once had the whole of the Regiment line up in box formation on a winter exercise in Germany where he flew in by helicopter to tell us to 'enjoy ourselves' as he was flying to Bavaria to do a spot of skiing for a week or so. Great for moral...not. :)

Comment

Seems to be international. Our brigade commander had the battalion commander place his entire semimobile HQ (incl. all the signal units, guard etc) at full readiness on the parade grounds, then flew in by CH-53 and landed next to it - and left again after about enough time for a little chat and a cup of coffee in the warm HQ cabins. Then the whole shebang was dismantled again and placed back into storage. And that didn't just happen once.
          Actually makes me wonder whether the callsign "Nazgul" for CH-53s in Germany really is completely coincidental...

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
            There's always more to the story. I'm getting the impression that the troop lead was letting things slide once too often and the Sqn OC finally had to teach the lead a lesson.

Comment

He had been sent to the UK on a Troop Leaders Course so maybe he hadn't done so well or had not taken it serious to the satisfaction of the CO.

Comment

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                We had a new Commanding Officer and I think he wanted to stamp his authority. He once had the whole of the Regiment line up in box formation on a winter exercise in Germany where he flew in by helicopter to tell us to 'enjoy ourselves' as he was flying to Bavaria to do a spot of skiing for a week or so. Great for moral...not. :)
                That cnut , ohhhhhhhhh yes , give out extra blankets ,,the wanker ,.

Comment

Working...
                X