Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jewish Racism and Extremism

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless

Jewish Racism and Extremism

The following is an article I just submitted to the Jerusalem Post, I'm hoping to hear back from them shortly.

On Friday, September 21, sometime before candle lighting, a picture was uploaded to Facebook by a user named Ayala Ben-Naphtali. In the picture one can see a religious woman, dressed in all the appropriate clothing: long skirt, tights, shirt with long sleeves, undershirt reaching all the way up to the neck, and a scarf covering her hair, the sign of a married woman. Ayala is standing with her hands folded, while in the background one can see three men with dark skin sitting on the grass.

So far this picture would seem to be a harmless picture that may be interpreted in a hundred different ways. Thankfully, when she uploaded the picture, Ayala decided to narrow down the options for us. The picture was uploaded into an album titled “Night Trip in the South Tel Aviv Safari”, and the caption underneath the picture reads: "There are no signs forbidding taking pictures with the animals. There weren't signs forbidding feeding the animals either, but we passed on that"

It seems that this Ayala is quite proud of her blatant racism and her witty jokes at the expense of others. The first two people to comment on the picture agreed whole heartedly. Very soon, however, the picture spread, and it has been “shared” 1,300 times by different Facebook users. There are currently close to 1,400 comments on the picture, the overwhelming majority of them negative.

So what makes this case any different from any other stock case of racism that we unfortunately seem to be plagued with? Ayala Ben-Naphtali is not the user’s original name. Reading through comments of the picture, you can also read comments of some members that know this Ayala, but by her former name: Katy Gorodezky, the name she carried before she became religious.

That’s right. This superior, racist person choosing to equate black immigrants with animals is one who voluntarily chose to accept upon herself the laws of the religion of Moses and Israel, including the laws of Love Thy Neighbor and Love the Immigrant. As a matter of fact, in the five books of Moses the Children of Israel are commanded to love three different things: God, neighbors and the immigrant. With one sentence this Ayala Ben-Naphtali spat on two of those three commandments.

Unfortunately, this is nothing more than a symptom of what happens when religion is allowed to run unchecked. Going through Ayala’s photo albums on Facebook we see how a once secular person was adopted into a brand of extreme Judaism which honors Kahane, burns “Peace Now” flags, mocks brave IDF soldiers and equates blacks to animals. Everyone is entitled to practice their religion in whatever manner they prefer, but as decent human beings it is incumbent on us all to ensure that religious extremism should not be allowed to take hold, no matter what the religion. There has been much talk of the Muslim extremists rioting over a film insulting Muhammad, but there has been very little talk of the home-grown extremists right here in Israel. I submit that this religious extremism an unconventional weapon in our midst that will destroy Israel far sooner, easier and more efficiently that any Iranian nuclear weapon.
    Here is the picture being discussed:

Attachment 30285
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Dirty Kiwi Senior Contributor
    Nice Ben
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility

Gottfried Leibniz

In Memoriam Military Professional Minskaya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigross86 View Post
    Here is the picture being discussed:

Attachment 30285
    Unfortunately, racism and xenophobia exist everywhere. I suspect that these people are refugees from Sudan/Darfur that Israel has accepted. Gorodezky is a Russian name, a land where racism and xenophobia are common commodities. Not all of us are like this. I myself would have captioned this picture quite differently: אהבה - הרמוניה - שלום (Love - Harmony - Peace)

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. If until now the ~1,800 comments were all made by bleeding heart liberals wishing for this Ayala's death, here comes part II:

Ayals discovered what had happened over the weekend. Here's what she wrote in response, after taking down the incriminating pictures:

"On Thursday I uploaded a picture that depicted the dire circumstances in South Tel Aviv, where insurgents have taken over a children's playground and turned it into a fourth world, where neither children nor adults can walk around and feel at home in their own country. When I opened my Facebook on Saturday evening, I discovered that I had received thousands of personal messages and comments - the majority of them divided between death threats and crude comments calling for my rape by a Sudanese gang and wishes for a fiery death for all Jews out there.

I was please to note that this highly excited group of bleeding hearts is concerned with the subject of the insurgents and is not as apathetic as I had thought until now. Indeed, those same upset responders did not seem to care when a group of insurgents raped Israeli women - they even wish the same fate upon me, if not worse - but I am glad to raise public awareness to the issue. I invite everyone to visit Levinski Park near the Central bus Station and be appalled by the situation."

That was posted 27 minutes ago and now has almost 100 comments, the large majority of them from religious folks telling her what a brave girl she is for telling it like it is, and wishing death and rape upon all those that wished death and rape upon Ayala.

This only supports and strengthens my claim that it is this extremism that will tear us apart as a nation long before anything else does, and brings to mind a quote generally attributed to one Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Minskaya View Post
    I suspect that these people are refugees from Sudan/Darfur that Israel has accepted.
    Does that matter at all?

Besides, about 1.8 percent of the population of Israel is from Beta Israel, a far more likely place for them to be from.

That’s right. This superior, racist person choosing to equate black immigrants with animals is one who voluntarily chose to accept upon herself the laws of the religion of Moses and Israel, including the laws of Love Thy Neighbor and Love the Immigrant.
    Converts are always the hardest believers and the most... let's call it segregationist. No matter in which religion.

Officer of Engineers
    Human stupidity never ceases to amaze me. If until now the ~1,800 comments were all made by bleeding heart liberals wishing for this Ayala's death, here comes part II:

Ayals discovered what had happened over the weekend. Here's what she wrote in response, after taking down the incriminating pictures:

"On Thursday I uploaded a picture that depicted the dire circumstances in South Tel Aviv, where insurgents have taken over a children's playground and turned it into a fourth world, where neither children nor adults can walk around and feel at home in their own country. When I opened my Facebook on Saturday evening, I discovered that I had received thousands of personal messages and comments - the majority of them divided between death threats and crude comments calling for my rape by a Sudanese gang and wishes for a fiery death for all Jews out there.

I was please to note that this highly excited group of bleeding hearts is concerned with the subject of the insurgents and is not as apathetic as I had thought until now. Indeed, those same upset responders did not seem to care when a group of insurgents raped Israeli women - they even wish the same fate upon me, if not worse - but I am glad to raise public awareness to the issue. I invite everyone to visit Levinski Park near the Central bus Station and be appalled by the situation."

That was posted 27 minutes ago and now has almost 100 comments, the large majority of them from religious folks telling her what a brave girl she is for telling it like it is, and wishing death and rape upon all those that wished death and rape upon Ayala.

This only supports and strengthens my claim that it is this extremism that will tear us apart as a nation long before anything else does, and brings to mind a quote generally attributed to one Albert Einstein: "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
    And people wonder why I'm tired.

Sad thing is, Ben, she is allowed to take her picture and post her idiotic comments. If a Palestinian did the same to her friends, that Palestinian would be locked up.

No, Ben, I am not trying to start anything. What I am trying to say is that she knew she could get away with it and that's why she did it.

In Memoriam Military Professional Minskaya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    Does that matter at all?
    Can you not decipher English properly? It was merely a guesstimate as to their origin...

Quote Originally Posted by Minskaya View Post
    I suspect that these people are refugees from Sudan/Darfur that Israel has accepted.
    Besides, about 1.8 percent of the population of Israel is from Beta Israel, a far more likely place for them to be from.
    I see. You are learned enough to lecture about Israeli demographics. To echo your silly arrogance, does that matter at all?

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    Does that matter at all?

No, they are not from the Beta Israel. It's a well known fact pretty much across all of Africa by now. If you want to go anywhere, go to Israel, they will let you in. Once you get to Israel, you go to south Tel Aviv. The area defined by the Old Central Bus Station, Levinski Park and the New Central Bus Station have turned into a self-styled illegal immigrant/refugee camp. Sudanese, Eritreans and others sleep in the streets, rape Israeli girls and women that live in the area, steal cellphones and basically sit around doing nothing.

The fact that there is a large refugee problem is not in doubt. Some, like Minister Eli Yishai are in favor of kicking them the hell out, and he already has shipped the first group onto planes and out of Israel a little over a month ago. The others wants them to stay in Tel Aviv and want the government to take care of them, even as those same people protest that people in Israel aren't getting enough welfare and government handouts themselves.

However, regardless of how you look at it, neither reason is an excuse to call black people animals and to be so proud of it.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    Quote Originally Posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    And people wonder why I'm tired.

Sad thing is, Ben, she is allowed to take her picture and post her idiotic comments. If a Palestinian did the same to her friends, that Palestinian would be locked up.

No, Ben, I am not trying to start anything. What I am trying to say is that she knew she could get away with it and that's why she did it.
    Colonel, no one said she's not allowed, and we're a better country for it. At the same time I'd like to think that if an Israeli Arab said that in Israel, she would also get the same reaction: Loads of people getting on her case about her ignorance and stupidity. Whether the PA wants to allow free speech is up to them.

She has every right to be stupid and exercise her right to free speech to be racist and stupid, whether it be natural or under the guise of religious extremism. I simply think that if we want to survive we should try and stop people from reaching this stage of religious extremism, before it's too late.

Military Enthusiast Senior Contributor
    Unfortunately, when rapes occur, the volatile emotions that the news of rape occurrences evoke will plant seeds of extremism and allow the seeds to fester and grow into a monster. It is a very typical human instinct to lash out against the group whose members were accused of rape.

I mean, take a look in Afghanistan. I was watching Frontline one day and they were showing coverage of the Taliban. One of Taliban's favorite recruiting tactics is to claim that the Westerns are "raping our women" and dissing the Islam religion. Mention of rape will often cloud reason and create a perfect atmosphere for extremists to take advantage.

Regular
    Bigross, what is the current situation in Israel with regards to Haredi/Ultra-Orthodox Jews and the draft? Recently, was there not some attempt made to overthrow laws that previously upheld their right to avoid the draft?

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    There was the Tal Law (which basically exempted the Ultra-Orthodox from the mandatory draft) that expired recently, and after much politicking there is still absolutely nothing on the books in its place.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    That she is a stupid racist is not in doubt apparently.

Now on to the picture itself, I am not racist, but I'd be nervous in that picture, she is the only male in evidence and all the males are younger men. young men in large groups = violence waiting to happen.

Oh, BTW they are not black Israelis, examining the picture will reveal more feet than shoes, those guys are refugees. Westerners and those who get westernized develop soft feet. FYI, archeologist can date the history of shoes by the weakening and thinning of the toe bones in the foot.

Refugees from a war torn land + military age males some/many of whom have probably seen action as fighters or victims and I can see why she called them insurgents.
    Last edited by zraver; 30 Sep 12, at 00:09.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Mostly Harmless
    A) She specifically went to an area that is known to be full of black illegal immigrants and even titled her album "trip to the zoo"

B) No one said they were Israelis, it was known beforehand that they were illegal immigrants. The issue at hand is not that she is discriminating against them for being immigrants as opposed to Israelis

C) The word translates into insurgents but with a different meaning. Not Fallujah insurgents, but rather those that merely crossed the border illegally and took up residence in Israel.

The issue is not that she called them insurgents or that she has an issue with illegal immigrants. The issue at hand is simply her comparison of black people to animals. Nothing more, nothing less and nothing else.

Rickshaw Professional Senior Contributor Pedicabby's Avatar
    Just curious but how do all these illegals get in? I just can't see them all prancing across the King Hussein bridge or rolling up on a beach in Eilat.

Thread Information