Seek tactic analysis on this China Army "Amphibious assault"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
    No. Soldiers will be climbing over bodies before they can get to their objectives, ie human bodies will become defensive physical (and psychological) barriers, ie you have to remove the bodies before the tanks can come on shore ... that is if enemy guns are not adding to the bodies.
    Thanks Col, my guess is that in this 'ex' they did not break thought until the armor lands. The red tried to soft'em up with air and infantry before sending armor ashore.
    “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Andy, I do need an eval. What is the stated purpose of this ex? You and I both know that the PLA do not hold an exercise without a stated purpose.

I've also lost touch with the day-to-day eval of the PLA due to my condition. I'm not reading as much as I should. What I'm really asking what is the PLA confidence level?

Comment

Andy, I do need an eval. What is the stated purpose of this ex? You and I both know that the PLA do not hold an exercise without a stated purpose.

I've also lost touch with the day-to-day eval of the PLA due to my condition. I'm not reading as much as I should. What I'm really asking what is the PLA confidence level?
        I don't know what their confidence level is but for them everything is a static model exercise; if by using tactical A, I will lose 100 guys, the solution -- send in 200 guys next time.
        “the misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing compared to the misery of not being exploited at all” -- Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by xinhui View Post
          I don't know what their confidence level is but for them everything is a static model exercise; if by using tactical A, I will lose 100 guys, the solution -- send in 200 guys next time.
          Wow, Andy, this is new to me. I have to think about that. It's not always that simple. Sending in a brigade where a battalion has failed is not always the answer for success.

Actually, thinking about this, a recipe for disaster. A minefield that can stop a company will also stop a battalion.

Comment

Xinhui Reply

"My problem is that, is this actual propaganda or they actually will carry it out. If they are willing to give up bodies, will it actual work."

Middle of the day and initial assault wave carried by guys in open launches bailing over the sides? This is a joke, right? Troops moving with sleeves up? Orange "shoot me" life jackets as standard issue? How serious can this be?

It's a photo op...and an embarassment at that. Seriously embarassing and an insult to the ROC troops they'd actually face.

Were that a U.S. rifle company in the defense I'm confident that those launches would have been completely holed offshore. Those Chinese troops aboard would have found practical use for their life jackets at that point. OTOH, I'm confident that a mid day assault would have included smoke, NGF prep, CAS and attack aviation along with an air assault over the heads of the defending beach force.

This was silly. In extremis.
            "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
            "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Actually, thinking about this, a recipe for disaster. A minefield that can stop a company will also stop a battalion.
              Sir, a minefield will only stop a company or a battalion which stops to demine, not a company or battalion willing to charge through it.
              Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
              -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

Tronic Reply

"Sir, a minefield will only stop a company or a battalion which stops to demine, not a company or battalion willing to charge through it."

"In for a penny, in for a pound" is not a viable operational premise for professional soldiers. A properly-laid minefield includes covering by observation and fire. "...willing to charge through it." is not considered a breaching operation.

The reason it's not considered a breaching operation is the wanton expenditure of soldiers' lives is detrimental to the good conduct and discipline of any (surviving) unit. Surviving soldiers will likely look askance at the leadership principles exhibited by their commanding officers.;)
                "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Pardon my drool. A squadron of armed drones would wreak havoc on something like this.
                  sigpic

Comment

The defenders had built antitank spikes (I am assuming that would the painted sand represent) and mines had been laid but the infantry has only a sand ditch for protection ? looks like for me the defenders aren't very cautious with their lives either.
                    J'ai en marre.

Comment

God I hate QBZ-95's.

Comment

I don't know much about the PLA, but these pics seem to be a propaganda piece along these lines, and targeted towards the average Chinese civilian - "See, this isn't your grandfather's army. Look at the cool stuff we have, the high tech. We have swimming 'tanks' and computers and neat new guns. We are modern."

Comment

"... but some of still can't swim and need those orange vests"
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

the reason for orange vests is that this is still an exercise, not an actual battle so they don't want to lose any casualties that are preventable and unnecessary. So orange vests help to locate soldiers that may be in danger of drowning.

Comment

Could be. If I see the pics correctly the vests are thrown in the water, before beach landing, when the soldiers are in the shallow waters.
                              How can this save lives?
                              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                                the reason for orange vests is that this is still an exercise, not an actual battle so they don't want to lose any casualties that are preventable and unnecessary. So orange vests help to locate soldiers that may be in danger of drowning.
                                I wouldn't even call this an exercise. As mentioned, it's a photo op and a rather silly and "dishonest" one at that.
                                They're expending some decent quantities of fuel alone, to say nothing of other supplies, for this bizarre mess.

On the plus side, those amphibious assault guns look rather impressive.
                                I'd be curious know if they're actual functioning fighting vehicles and not floating Potemkin Villages.

Some of those pictures are just plain ridiculous though, even to a whimpering simpering civilian such as myself.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X