No announcement yet.

Protesters besiege Hong Kong plaza as crisis over ‘national education’ mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOR-- thanks for the updates as the man on the ground!
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I hope everybody will be safe. I have an American adventure-scholar friend writing his doctoral thesis on East Asia by flying to every protest he can find around these parts and he's happily posting pictures on FB. Supposedly HK police are backing off after the bad publicity they got the other night.
      All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
      -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Wonder how long the protesters can keep on blockading things (are the shut down businesses closed because they're being physically blocked from working?) until the man in the street gets fed up with them?

Comment

Now in Xi'an (anniversary trip with She Who Must Be Obeyed), and enjoying the filtered news everyone else in China gets. BBC and CNN come on the TV for three seconds, then a blank screen for three minutes. That's followed by the normal news show, until the wrap-up, when we "lose the signal" once again, for 30 seconds.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

There is interesting drone footage on mother jones showing the protests- seems like multiple thousands present blocking roads. Can't figure out how to embed sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
              DOR-- thanks for the updates as the man on the ground!
              seconded
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

It looks like people are finding ways around "The Great Firewall"

Hong Kong democracy protesters flock to new messaging app

Comment

No single shop was burnt down.

Comment

Moreover Photo credit to this

香港:佔中ç­ć™®é¸ | Flickr Blog

Comment

The photos are chilling for anyone who live through 1989.

Has China really changed all that much in the past 25 years?

We will see.

I am hoping for the best, but I cannot rid myself of the chill I feel down my spine ......

Comment

The police threw tear gas during the public are for help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q93UlAx21W8

With English sub-title.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                          The photos are chilling for anyone who live through 1989.

Has China really changed all that much in the past 25 years?

We will see.

I am hoping for the best, but I cannot rid myself of the chill I feel down my spine ......
                          They have tear gas now, and it looks like Leung and co. are going to just sit it out. If the protests cause a recession by going on too long, the HK public will quickly turn on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                            They have tear gas now
                            We will see.

The icy fingers still grip my spine.

Students and Chinese are not a happy mix.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
                              We will see.

The icy fingers still grip my spine.

Students and Chinese are not a happy mix.
                              Beijing is just happy to sit and wait. It works out pretty well for them if the protests cause a recession in Hong Kong (admittedly, not the most optimal option).

Comment

Originally posted by Skywatcher View Post
                                Beijing is just happy to sit and wait. It works out pretty well for them if the protests cause a recession in Hong Kong (admittedly, not the most optimal option).
                                There is exactly one way in which Hong Kong goes into recession: a severe drop in trade. Trade is 4-1/2 times the size of the local economy, which makes it nigh on impossible to have a recession if trade is normal or even slow.

In 2003, world trade roared ahead at about 7%. Hong Kong ground to a halt under SARs, . . . and the economy grew about 2.5%.

In 2009, with a booming domestic economy -- retail, tourism, construction, finance -- Hong Kong fell about 3% as global trade had its worst year since modern records start, in 1950.
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X