X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go again ... Lunar New Year 2016 HK Riots

Hong Kong police fire warning shots during Mong Kok fishball 'riot'

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/02/08/as...red/index.html

A government crackdown on illegal street food vendors turned violent in Hong Kong in the early hours of Tuesday morning, as riot police clashed with protesters in the shopping district of Mong Kok.

The disorder erupted following government officials' attempts to evict street vendors who were selling fishballs and other local delicacies during the Lunar New Year holiday.

Hong Kong riot police fire warning shots in bloody street clashes
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ho...-idUSKCN0VH28E

As many as 48 police were injured in the clashes, a police spokeswoman said. Hong Kong television showed police officers being beaten with poles and sticks as they lay on the ground.
    Many protesters and police were also shown with blood streaming down their faces. The police spokeswoman also said 24 protesters were arrested.

Hong Kong police fire warning shots above crowds rioting about Lunar New Year hawker clearances
    http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2016/02/...ker-clearances

Crusade Yau – the deputy Mong Kok district police commander with a name like a superhero – said the demonstrators seemed to be organised. “Radical elements have come with self-made weapons and shields and clashed with police,” Yau said. “The situation ran out of control and became a riot.”

Yes, THE Crusade Yau.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

What a name!
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Makes you wonder how those lunatics will escalate next...

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          What a name!
          gunnut,

By Hong Kong standards, "Crusade" is pretty mild.
          Between my wife and I, we knew Icky, Icy, Champion, Hamlet, Cheeter (he was my bank teller), Ringo, Rainbow, Adolph, Apple, Ero, Hottie, Opiat and Satan.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
            gunnut,

By Hong Kong standards, "Crusade" is pretty mild.
            Between my wife and I, we knew Icky, Icy, Champion, Hamlet, Cheeter (he was my bank teller), Ringo, Rainbow, Adolph, Apple, Ero, Hottie, Opiat and Satan.
            One of our guides on our China trip years ago was named Ocean. Someone mentioned another guy named Spiderman.

I can see Hamlet and Ringo. They are famous people. Adolph is famous too, but someone ruined that name 70 years ago.

I like Hottie. Was she hawt?

There was a hockey player from Czech Republic or Slovakia named Miroslav Satan. It's pronounced "Shuh-taan." It was just funny to see that name on the back of a jersey during the game.

Bank teller named Cheeter....yeah...let's hope he doesn't moonlight as a bookie or blackjack dealer.
            "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Hong Kong's Sept 4, 2016 Legislative Council Elections

These are the first elections -- for half of the 70 LegCo seats -- since the three month long street protests of late 2014.

A record turnout in Sunday's vote helped sweep newcomers into office, most notably Nathan Law, a 23-year-old former student leader of massive pro-democracy protests that rocked Hong Kong in 2014. He garnered the second-highest number of votes in his six-seat Hong Kong Island constituency.

Four veteran democrats were defeated, among them are Wong Yuk-man of the Proletariat Political Institute, who was felled by Youngspiration’s Yau Wai-ching; Labour Party’s Lee Cheuk-yan, who was beaten by Civic Passion’s Cheng Chung-tai; and Lee’s colleague Cyd Ho Sau-lan, who lost in Hong Kong Island to Nathan Law.

Another rookie, 38-year-old land reform campaigner Eddie Chu, won 84,121 votes, the highest number of votes garnered by any of the more than 200 candidates competing for 35 seats in geographic constituencies.

Law's party, Demosisto , founded earlier this year with teen protest leader Joshua Wong, advocates a referendum on "self-determination" on the future status of Hong Kong, which is in the middle of a 50-year transition period to Chinese rule.

Yau Wai-Ching, 25, of Youngspiration , which was formed during the 2014 protests and proposes a similar plan as Demosisto, secured a seat in the Legislative Council. The group's other candidate, 30-year-old Sixtus Leung, also appeared headed for a win, according to incomplete results for his constituency.

= = = = =

In my opinion, this is the start of the end of Beijing's experiment with "one country, two systems." Prior to now, the Hong Kong elite was able to tell Beijing that the noisy, rabble-rousing kids didn't constitute any kind of real threat and anyway didn't have the support of any significant portion of Hong Kong voters.

No more.
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
                These are the first elections -- for half of the 70 LegCo seats -- since the three month long street protests of late 2014.

A record turnout in Sunday's vote helped sweep newcomers into office, most notably Nathan Law, a 23-year-old former student leader of massive pro-democracy protests that rocked Hong Kong in 2014. He garnered the second-highest number of votes in his six-seat Hong Kong Island constituency.

Four veteran democrats were defeated, among them are Wong Yuk-man of the Proletariat Political Institute, who was felled by Youngspiration’s Yau Wai-ching; Labour Party’s Lee Cheuk-yan, who was beaten by Civic Passion’s Cheng Chung-tai; and Lee’s colleague Cyd Ho Sau-lan, who lost in Hong Kong Island to Nathan Law.

Another rookie, 38-year-old land reform campaigner Eddie Chu, won 84,121 votes, the highest number of votes garnered by any of the more than 200 candidates competing for 35 seats in geographic constituencies.

Law's party, Demosisto , founded earlier this year with teen protest leader Joshua Wong, advocates a referendum on "self-determination" on the future status of Hong Kong, which is in the middle of a 50-year transition period to Chinese rule.

Yau Wai-Ching, 25, of Youngspiration , which was formed during the 2014 protests and proposes a similar plan as Demosisto, secured a seat in the Legislative Council. The group's other candidate, 30-year-old Sixtus Leung, also appeared headed for a win, according to incomplete results for his constituency.

= = = = =

In my opinion, this is the start of the end of Beijing's experiment with "one country, two systems." Prior to now, the Hong Kong elite was able to tell Beijing that the noisy, rabble-rousing kids didn't constitute any kind of real threat and anyway didn't have the support of any significant portion of Hong Kong voters.

No more.
                So what can Beijing do ? harsh sentences to anyone that gets out of line

Protesting Xi's life term

Comment

By-election split

Hong Kong’s pro-democracy camp has won two out of four seats in Sunday’s Legislative Council by-elections, which they deemed a de facto “referendum” against the disqualification of opposition lawmakers. Gary Fan in New Territories East and Au Nok-hin in Hong Kong Island both emerged victorious, but the pro-Beijing camp gained the upper hand in West Kowloon and the architectural sector.
                  March 11, 2018
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

Enough to block any moves by either camp. So there should be a stalemate of sorts until the next election.

Comment

• Fifteen Minutes With Joshua Wong | CFR | Nov 22 2016

Pretty remarkable kid

Beijing may win battles but can they win the war ; )
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Mar 18,, 10:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Fifteen Minutes With Joshua Wong | CFR | Nov 22 2016

Pretty remarkable kid

There’s a very Sunzi-esque tactic that would probably lead to total capitulation, even if it was only suggested.
                        Turn off the water. If that doesn’t work, turn off a big chunk of the electric power.

Problem solved.
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                          Fifteen Minutes With Joshua Wong | CFR | Nov 22 2016

Pretty remarkable kid

At the rate disgruntled people are moving out of Hong Kong, he might not have a political base in 10 years time.

Comment

Working...
                          X