Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Good Guy Does a Good Thing

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2012/08/2...ing-extension/

I make no bones about my allegience to my Boston Sports teams. But this story is something great about a great young man. There were some doubts about his character when he was drafted but he promised to toe the line. Not only has he done that on and off the field but he has grown as a young man.
    Last edited by Albany Rifles; 28 Aug 12,, 21:13.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Good guy, indeed.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Truth be told, while this is a wonderful move, it's not much more than a publicity stunt. Most professional sports players are already involved with at least 2 or 3 charitable foundations, and many have started their own foundations. It's a wonderful gesture, and giving 50k is not something that we usually see, but this guy is not much more different from everyone else.
      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

And on what do you base your comment on, Ben? Truly you are not THAT jaded.
        Mark Twain

Comment

I follow the Giants. Whenever I see a profile on any of the players, it always shows what charities they are members of and what foundations they have started.

Eli Manning - Undertook a 5-year campaign in 2007 to raise $2.5 million for the construction of "The Eli Manning Children's Clinics" at the University of Mississippi Medical Center's children's hospital. He's also been the host of the Guiding Eyes for the Blind's Golf Classic, which raises $500,000 a year.

Ahmad Bradshaw - Dress to Kilt charity fashion show, hosting Hamptons Golf Classic VIII

Osi Umenyiora - Strike 4 A Cure Celebrity Charity Bowling Weekend

Justin Tuck - Annual celebrity billiards event for his charity "Tuck's Rush for Literacy"

Hakeem Nicks - Center for Disability Services, helping with a telethon and visiting the center’s nursing home for children and young adults.

Victor Cruz - Partnered with Time Warner Cable to feature at community and philanthropic events as part of "Enjoy Sports Better".

Others: the LeSean McCoy Celebrity Softball Game. The game will feature an NFL team made up of some of McCoy’s all-pro friends such as Ray Rice, Victor Cruz, Mike Wallace, Devin Hester, Frank Gore and Rob Gronkowski facing an Eagles team featuring DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Brent Celek and many others.

Tom Brady - the Best Buddies Ride in Hyannis, Massachusetts. More here

Tim Tebow - Aside from the Tim Tebow Foundation, which raised over $2.5 million, does plenty of other charity work

Now those are from football and from quick Wikipedia and Google searches. I haven't even looked at baseball (Ike Davis's second event Benefiting Pediatric Cancer Research, from a guy who's only been in the majors since 2010), basketball, hockey, golf and others.

When looking at folks that help raise $2.5 million, am I surprised that some guy that was just signed for $40 million gave $50,000 to charity? No.

Like I said, it's an amazing gesture, but it's also a publicity stunt. Thousands of sports players around the world are involved in charities and philanthropic work, be it donating money, putting in appearances, signing things for charity, hosting events, offering time with them as items to bid on at charity auctions (someone bid $100,000 to spend time with Tim Tebow), and many other good deeds.

So yeah, this guy did an amazing thing, and $50,000 more to charity is always better than $50,000 less, but he is not unique and he is not alone. I'm not jaded at all...
          Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Ben:

The guy wrote a check to charity and an article was written about it. Good on him. Are we going to start measuring these things in dollar amounts or dismiss them because they are commonplace. Seems to me that misses the point. Imagine if we rated the actions of soldiers decorated for bravery under fire by some quantitative measure.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

I believe Ben's remark was on how is this news. It happens all the time. Of course I might be wrong on this one.

By the same merit, homicides, earthquakes, bank robberies... shouldn't be news as well.
              No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

FYI Hernandez will make 565,000 this year. His agent makes 8% of that. Taxes will take about another 40%. So this guy kicked in about 18% about of this years salary with this one check

The point, which obviously some missed, was that a young man appreciated what the organization had done to help him get his life sorted out. A bunch of teams passed on him but the Pats took him...and the Krafts had an impact on his
                Life. Obviously a positive impact. That was the point.

Didn't think it had to be explained.

I guess I am just getting too old.
                Mark Twain

Comment

Hernandez may be making $565,000 this year, but he's making $40 million over the next 5.

Look, I'm not saying it wasn't a great thing. I used the word wonderful to describe it twice in my original post. All I'm saying is that everyone does it, there's no real reason Hernandez is any more special than anyone else, turning it into a publicity stunt.

All soldiers are brave, but sometimes you have one that exceeds everyone else and goes above and beyond the call of duty, and is recognized. There's usually approximately one earthquake a day around the world, but sometimes you have one that causes excessive damage and people rally to help those afflicted. If Hernandez had donated a full $1 million, cash in hand, that would be unique. but he didn't. I pointed out 2 players, Eli Manning and Tim Tebow that helped raise $2.5 million, each. Tim Tebow helped bring in $100,000, double this guy's donation, just by offering to spend time with the winner.

So yes, I think the donation is great, I think it's amazing, but it's not unique. Hernandez is just like every other line soldier out there, doing things that are amazing and that most common people don't do, but he's no different from all the other line soldiers. He has yet to do something that will exclude him from the rest of the group and make him stand out, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X