Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wouldn't GPS be of help?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

tankie,

This one is for you National Geographic Moon Myth Quiz

For the second question, only Pari can help you
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
        That NASA web site confirms my belief the "pole shift" hokum was in fact the transposition of a magnetic pole shift to a physical pole shift. Say "The north and south poles are going to swap" and the majority of people might think of the physical poles vs. the magnetic.

Interestingly, IF the magnetic poles swapped, all it'd affect would be magnetic compasses. From a civil aviation POV, it'd be a pain in the rear only with regards to runway naming, as everything else is based upon TRUE north. GPS would be unaffected. Same with inertial systems, which are all aligned to true.

Hmmm... We do take vectors in magnetic... I think if the magnetic north pole began to move radically, aviation authorities would simply say "time out, we are going to go to a 100% TRUE north vs. magnetic north."

Military ops - could be a real hiccup, I'm thinking, because low-tech systems right on down to individual soldiers would be S.O.L. as their pocket mag compasses went nuts.

The other option is that the magnetic pole swap might take some time, as in decades. I think that's likely, and if magnetic north started moving at 50 NM per year, there'd be plenty of time to fix things.
        Possibly a pretty big die-off for migratory animals.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dmm View Post
          Not NASA. Some hoax or troll.

This is nasa, see the address? NASA - 2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won't End?

6th question on that website is "pole shift".
          Thanks m8 , i do use that site as you can see in the mars thread , but cheers anyway and to all the contributions . ;)

Comment

Here's an interesting NASA post ref Keppler , nowt to do with pole shift but very interesting

NASA - NASA's Kepler Discovers Multiple Planets Orbiting a Pair of Stars

Comment

Working...
            X