No announcement yet.

Pole shift ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my minimal research re: the moon's orbit, what we are seeing, primarily due to liquid (and lesser extent, crust and liquid earth's core) tides, is that the rotational energy of the earth, the earth's spin, is being transferred via variable gravity to the orbit of the moon. Thus, the earth's energy is added to the moon. Since the moon is tidally locked, it has nowhere to go except into a higher orbit. And the spin rate of the earth is slowing.

Higher orbits equate to a lower velocity, but the total energy of the system, potential + kinetic, is greater than that of a lower orbit.

Scientists say that the moon has actually stabilized the earth, and has contributed to life here.

Comment

He's rotating the camera. Stop panicing. If gravity was broken you would be hearing about it on the news.

Comment

Originally posted by dmm View Post
        He's rotating the camera. Stop panicing. If gravity was broken you would be hearing about it on the news.
        Really , care to explain that .

ps im not panicking , not even on the stroke of midnight 20 12 2012 que serra serra ;)
        Last edited by tankie; 22 Aug 12,, 21:17.

Comment

Not to be pedantic or anything but the moon does rotate about its own axis. As dmm says, he's holding the camera at an angle. He claims to be filming from roughly the same latitude as me and I haven't noticed a damn thing about the moon's axis changing. Sorry Tankie, I'll take a photo of the moon on it's nth/sth axis for you if you like when next it's full
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Not to be pedantic or anything but the moon does rotate about its own axis. As dmm says, he's holding the camera at an angle. He claims to be filming from roughly the same latitude as me and I haven't noticed a damn thing about the moon's axis changing. Sorry Tankie, I'll take a photo of the moon on it's nth/sth axis for you if you like when next it's full
            Ok m8 no probz , but im confused as I thought the moon was static ???????? there again what do I know about the moon except it always looks the same to me .No need for sorry Iian , im getting a better understanding of the situation ;)
            Last edited by tankie; 22 Aug 12,, 21:26.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
              Ok m8 no probz , but im confused as I thought the moon was static ???????? there again what do I know about the moon except it always looks the same to me .No need for sorry Iian , im getting a better understanding of the situation ;)
              The moon rotates around its axis at exactly the rate that it revolves around the earth, hence it always displays the same face to earth. If it didn't rotate then each longitude of earth would see a different part of its surface. That synchronous rotation with it's revolution around Earth is one of the great imponderables, like why the asteroid belt formed the way it did.

Leibniz

Comment

We had that excersise in 4th or 5th grade in the school yard The whole solar system, with all the planets and the moons (satellites). Something you can't misunderstand.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  We had that excersise in 4th or 5th grade in the school yard The whole solar system, with all the planets and the moons (satellites). Something you can't misunderstand.
                  We never had lessons like that Dok , we had the 3 Rs , mores the pity

Cheers Iian ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                    The moon rotates around its axis at exactly the rate that it revolves around the earth, hence it always displays the same face to earth. If it didn't rotate then each longitude of earth would see a different part of its surface. That synchronous rotation with it's revolution around Earth is one of the great imponderables, like why the asteroid belt formed the way it did.
                    What you are saying is true, but the moon really isn't rotating per se, it's tidally locked. I guess there is a difference from a physics standpoint, but the effect is the same. The far side of the moon remains the far side for ever and ever, amen. And a line drawn through the North and South poles of the moon would see one rotation of the moon per orbit of the earth.

Wikipedia has a decent discussion of tidal locking. It usually happens when one body (the "parent") is much, much more massive than the satellite. It also depends upon the distance between the bodies. Mercury is tidally locked to the sun, as our moon is tidally locked to the earth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post
                      What you are saying is true, but the moon really isn't rotating per se, it's tidally locked. I guess there is a difference from a physics standpoint, but the effect is the same. The far side of the moon remains the far side for ever and ever, amen. And a line drawn through the North and South poles of the moon would see one rotation of the moon per orbit of the earth.

Wikipedia has a decent discussion of tidal locking. It usually happens when one body (the "parent") is much, much more massive than the satellite. It also depends upon the distance between the bodies. Mercury is tidally locked to the sun, as our moon is tidally locked to the earth.
                      But Pari's point is that the Moon IS rotating about its own axis - it's just rotating at a rate that keeps one side facing the earth at all times.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by dalem View Post
                        But Pari's point is that the Moon IS rotating about its own axis - it's just rotating at a rate that keeps one side facing the earth at all times.

-dale
                        That's not what he meant.

He didn't mean "the moon is rotating, indpendently" like the Earth is

He meant the moon's rotation is governed by the tidelock with Earth

Comment

For some reasion you cannot edit posts, so I should explain a little more clearly.

The planets rotate because of the angular momentum they had when they formed.

The moon rotates because it is tidelocked with Earth. Whatever original rotation it had when it formed has been lost.

Comment

That's it , im out of here , im sticking to UFO's ,cheers lads but im still waiting for an explanation as to why , in one month the the crater was at 3 then 5 then 6 o'clock position and im not happy with a rotating camera , still WTF do I know about QP its been an eye opener debate tho .

:slap:

Comment

Originally posted by dmm View Post
                              That's not what he meant.

He didn't mean "the moon is rotating, indpendently" like the Earth is

He meant the moon's rotation is governed by the tidelock with Earth
                              Look prof, I know exactly what Chogy meant, and I read the words he chose. But a tidally locked rotation is still a rotation.

-dale

Comment

Originally posted by Chogy View Post

Yeah that makes sense, you learn sumfing every day. So effectively whatever the moons original rotation, it's become tidally locked over time and in fact will remain so until near when it's lost into space. (Mercury isn't tidally locked by the way, I remember from school it's got a slow rotation in respect to the sun)

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X