Man orders TV on Amazon, gets a SiG 716 Assault rifle instead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kato View Post
    Odd. Over here it's perfectly legal to ship weapons by mail or similar from anyone to anyone, provided the package is handed to the recipient in person (and not left somewhere). Pretty common too.
    I think the 1968 Gun Control Act changed the way guns go through the mail system. That law came out of the JFK assassination. The "shooter" allegedly bought a Carcano rifle from Sears mail order catalog and used it to off JFK. Before that, anyone could order a gun in a mail order catalog and have it delivered to the front door.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

You know, the more I think about it, the more Unconstitutional our current gun laws are.

In order to buy a gun, I need to fill out an ATF 4473 form, answering a whole bunch of questions. That to me is a "literacy" test. A citizen who cannot read or write will be denied his constitutional right to keep and bear arms.

Voting is a constitutional right. We cannot have a "literacy test" for potential voters. That supposedly violates someone's "civil rights" for some reason.

In Kommieland, I need to pay a $25 fee and forced to buy a gun lock ($6) at the time of gun purchase. That to me sounds like a "poll tax" that was declared "unconstitutional." A citizen who has passed the "literacy test" would other wise be prevented from buying a gun if he could not afford an additional $31 at the time of purchase.

Charging a "processing fee" at time of voting was declared "unconstitutional" for some odd reason a few years ago.

In Kommieland, I need to take a test and pass with a 70% score to obtain a "handgun safety certificate." Of course this will cost me $25, and is only good for 5 years or until the law is changed.

For some odd reason, making people present a government issued photo ID that one could get for free or a similar fee in order to vote, is somehow "unconstitutional."

I am having some trouble understanding the double standards we have in this country. All constitutional rights are equal. But some are more equal than others.

Comment

:) California (politically) will never change until enough citizens and corporations vote with their feet and get out.

When the $$ stop flowing, the State government will freak.

Comment

the $$ has already stopped flowing-- that's why CA governance has gone to hell over the last 20 years. culture's stayed largely the same, though; you won't see Tea Partiers coming out in force in San Francisco anytime soon...:)

having said that, CA is so well-located as a trade hub and has so many embedded industries that there are limits as how people and corporations move (i don't envision silicon valley moving to, say, knoxville).
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
            the $$ has already stopped flowing-- that's why CA governance has gone to hell over the last 20 years. culture's stayed largely the same, though; you won't see Tea Partiers coming out in force in San Francisco anytime soon...:)

having said that, CA is so well-located as a trade hub and has so many embedded industries that there are limits as how people and corporations move (i don't envision silicon valley moving to, say, knoxville).
            Yep, a fantastic weather along the coast and 3 deep water harbors make California irresistable for large businesses. I suspect what will happen is large businesses will try their best to limit their exposure in California to minimize cost. The people working for these corporations will feed the local economy. The locals will provide essential services to these corporations. Meanwhile, the manufacturing sector will expand elsewhere, or pull out completely due to high energy cost and onerous regulations. The farm sector is decimated already due to restrictions on irrigation. The entire state will be a trade hub and tourist destination, like New Orleans, but with better weather.

Don't be too complacent about Silicon valley. It's not going anywhere, but it may not expand as fast or stop expanding in the state. IT is now global and jobs can be easily outsourced or offshored. Much like other industries, IT will try to limit exposure within the state to minimize cost while expanding elsewhere.

Dont' believe me? Check out Hollywood and where most TV shows and movies are shot these days. Hollywood is still here. It's just that most work is done out of state, sometimes out of the country.

Comment

gunnut,

I suspect what will happen is large businesses will try their best to limit their exposure in California to minimize cost. The people working for these corporations will feed the local economy. The locals will provide essential services to these corporations.
              that IS silicon valley in a nutshell. when the dot-com bust hit, the rest of the bay area took a massive beating. in any case IT and cloud computing and all that requires fairly minimal numbers of people, which surprisingly still cannot be filled.

The entire state will be a trade hub and tourist destination, like New Orleans, but with better weather.
              farming won't disappear, land is too good for it and demand will increase. if irrigation and water issues become too expensive, what we'll see is california agriculture turning boutique-- ie the fancy, organic stuff that will grace fancy restaurants or Whole Foods. that has a higher profit margin anyway, and has been occurring on a small scale as all the monocultures are now the reserve of the square states.

there will still be plenty of manufacturing left close to the trade hubs (ease of transportation).

what i fear is the slow disintegration of the high-tech advantage that CA has had for a long time, and that's primarily due to the decay of the UC and to a lesser extent the CSU system. as the state continues to disengage from funding the UCs, the UCs have had to adjust by raising their rates by double digits year upon year, and opening the system to more wealthy international students vice just the locals. i'm not comfortable with the way that is going.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

farming won't disappear, land is too good for it and demand will increase. if irrigation and water issues become too expensive, what we'll see is california agriculture turning boutique-- ie the fancy, organic stuff that will grace fancy restaurants or Whole Foods. that has a higher profit margin anyway, and has been occurring on a small scale as all the monocultures are now the reserve of the square states.
                Boutique farming can't supply the nation with food. Boutique farming doesn't feed the poor. Boutique farming doesn't drive down food prices. California has some of the best farm land in the world and we are farming a few acres at a time to satisfy some hippy/yuppy fetish? That is a waste of our resources. All to save some small 3" fish that doesn't matter to anyone or anything.

there will still be plenty of manufacturing left close to the trade hubs (ease of transportation).
                There could be more. They could be cheaper and more competitive.

what i fear is the slow disintegration of the high-tech advantage that CA has had for a long time, and that's primarily due to the decay of the UC and to a lesser extent the CSU system. as the state continues to disengage from funding the UCs, the UCs have had to adjust by raising their rates by double digits year upon year, and opening the system to more wealthy international students vice just the locals. i'm not comfortable with the way that is going.
                Someone has to pay the pension of 90% salary (overtime included) of the final year of service of all police/fireman/EMT with over 30 years of service, for life, plus Cadillac health care that's exempt from the Obamacare tax on benefits.

Comment

gunnut,

Boutique farming can't supply the nation with food.
                  we don't need it to. the square state farms feeds america many times over, to the point of obesity-- and has more than enough food left over to make america one of the world's largest exporter of foods.

on the contrary, by making boutique farming even more ubiquitous-- like the large organic farms getting popular in new york now-- california can seriously corner a very, very profitable part of agriculture. organic food demand is booming in china, for instance.

Comment

gunnut,

we don't need it to. the square state farms feeds america many times over, to the point of obesity-- and has more than enough food left over to make america one of the world's largest exporter of foods.
                    Don't we need them to make food to burn as fuel? Besides, what if one area of the nation suffers a drought?

on the contrary, by making boutique farming even more ubiquitous-- like the large organic farms getting popular in new york now-- california can seriously corner a very, very profitable part of agriculture. organic food demand is booming in china, for instance.
                    I'm all for it as long as it's the market force that drives this transition rather than government mandate.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      I think the 1968 Gun Control Act changed the way guns go through the mail system.
                      Our 1968 Gun Control Act outlawed take-down rifles...

Then again, back then every adult person (and every minor over 18) in Germany could - and most did - own an old WW2 rifle. Without any sort of permit. Legally.

Comment

Our 1968 Gun Control Act outlawed take-down rifles...

Then again, back then every adult person (and every minor over 18) in Germany could - and most did - own an old WW2 rifle. Without any sort of permit. Legally.
                        Those were the days. And notice there were fewer shootings when everyone had guns. Are we now less responsible than before? Are there more nuts now than before?

Comment

Those were the days. And notice there were fewer shootings when everyone had guns. Are we now less responsible than before? Are there more nuts now than before?
                          Yes there are more nuts, that's how Obama got in! :bang:
                          CADPIPE

Comment

Don't we need them to make food to burn as fuel? Besides, what if one area of the nation suffers a drought?
                            It's happening right now as we speak: This Drought's No Dry Run: Lessons Of The Dust Bowl : NPR

However, they're ALSO saying the Midwest farmers will make out like bandits: Secret Side Of The Drought: Many Corn Farmers Will Benefit : The Salt : NPR
                            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Man, I sure want to know whom did he order a TV from, and what type of TV was it. He got any ammo for that thing? Or I need to order spare "television parts"?
                              Last edited by Triple C; 17 Aug 12,, 06:19.
                              All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                              -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Our 1968 Gun Control Act outlawed take-down rifles... Then again, back then every adult person (and every minor over 18) in Germany could - and most did - own an old WW2 rifle. Without any sort of permit. Legally.
                                I'm not well informed about gun laws in Germany. What constitutes "take down" capability? Is it the lack of need for tools?

The German Blaser R93 bolt action rifle uses modular construction, that comes apart and reassembles quickly.

Comment

Working...
                                X