Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    Bolo,

Like Gunnut said, you'll need to find your style of play. There are New Users guides aplenty online, find them and read them. Can't recommend them highly enough. Also read up on the various extra equipment you can install on your tank. I'm personally a huge fan of Vents (although they are useless on open-topped vehicles). But there online guides for those as well. There are also mods out there that will greatly aid your gameplay. I am huge fan of Jimbo's Targeting Reticle.
    Every single one of my tanks carry rammer/vent/stabilizer if possible. Obviously open top tanks won't have vents, low tier tanks won't have rammers, and only tier 8 and above (tier 6 for US) will have stabilizers. There are some exceptions. T30 for some odd reason doesn't have access to a stabilizer, even though it's at tier 9. Auto-loaders don't have rammers, so there's an extra spot for tool kit or gun laying drive.

The biggest thing though is CREW CREW CREW. Long after you've maxed out your tanks, the thing that gives you the biggest edge is your crew experience and then Skills and Perks.
    It's generally not worth the money to train your crew at low tiers, unless you're seal-clubbing like me. Your crew won't stay in the same tank for long at low tiers, plus if you're just starting out, credits will be an issue. Crews for tier 5 tanks are worth training to 75% from the start. Tier 5 tanks are the "sweet spot" designed to make the most credits relative to the effort expended. This is to ensure the population doesn't age toward high number of high tier tanks and low number of low tier tanks. High tier tanks are designed to lose (sometimes an obscene amount) money for most players, even in a win. Only an exceptional match will make a profit without buying premium account.

Also, once your tank has been declared "Elite" (you've researched all the modules and future tanks on a particular vehicle), immediately check the box that directs all of your experience toward your crew. Otherwise you're just wasting experience.
    Yes, very important. I forgot this once or twice and now have a bunch of XP stuck in a tank with nothing to research.

Gunnut can probably tell you a lot better than I can about this stuff though (and correct any screw ups I made!)
    You covered everything pretty well. The only thing I would add is to "check the website."

There are always specials on the weekends. There are always bigger specials for holidays, sometimes in a spectacular way. Wargaming also gives out free low tier tanks plus a garage slot to hold them for annual events. So far, in 3 years, I have received 5 free tanks (Tetrarch, T1E6, LTP, T7, Light VIc) by just logging in and/or enter a free code provided on the website.

Currently, the best deal is 100g for a garage slot (normally 300g). I have never seen it this cheap before. If you can spare some gold, you should stash up some extra slots for the future.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

E3 is coming up. I'll see if I can get some promotional codes for new players. Generally these codes give 1 week of premium time, maybe 2000g, may be a tier 2/3 premium tank plus a garage slot to hold it, maybe both gold and tank.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        Right now, at high tiers, Soviet mediums and German TDs dominate.
        So, just like real life, eh?

The Germans had some of the best TD's of the War, especially towards the end (Hetzer, Jagdpanther, etc.). The Jagdtiger was a good technical demonstration, but that's about it; according to Carius, it was next to useless on the battlefield (although he still managed to score some victories with it).
        "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post

The Germans had some of the best TD's of the War, especially towards the end (Hetzer, Jagdpanther, etc.). The Jagdtiger was a good technical demonstration, but that's about it; according to Carius, it was next to useless on the battlefield (although he still managed to score some victories with it).
          The German top tier tank destroyers are completely imaginaty tanks. They are both loosely based on the e100 (itself mostly a drawing board tank). One mounts a 170mm cannon and the other a 128mm x 6 round autoader or a 150mmx4 round autoloader. The top tier TDs at the moment are damned silly to be honest.
          The best part of repentance is the sin

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post

Not even close.

Waffentrager Auf E-100

Object 430

Comment

I play my G.W. P almost exclusively.

Comment

gunnut, you're not referring 430 as TD, aren't you? ;)

Here's proper soviet TD:

Attached Files
                We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

I see total underestimation of optics here. That's sad. 5% bonus to all crew stats is barely noticeable without "Brothers in Arms" perk, which in its turn stops working when a crew man is wounded. Especially when compared to 10% bonus for visibility range. On Russian server vent is just a placeholder when nothing else suitable.
                  Last edited by Andrey Egorov; 14 May 14,, 13:10.
                  We're so bad, we're even bad at it

Comment

I currently have KV-1 , T-1 heavy , pnzr kpw 38t

Comment

Thanks for the advice GN and Tophatter.
                      I don't really like spending money on the game cause it really charges quite a lot in INR to get gold and paying for my kid is a bottomless money pit.
                      Plus my free time is usually limited to an hour snatched here and there.
                      Thats why i like the quick 15 minute battles.

Will try reading the newbie guides and frequenting the website for codes.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                        Thanks for the advice GN and Tophatter.
                        I don't really like spending money on the game cause it really charges quite a lot in INR to get gold and paying for my kid is a bottomless money pit.
                        Plus my free time is usually limited to an hour snatched here and there.
                        Thats why i like the quick 15 minute battles.

Personally I wouldn't pay a dime for this game. Several reasons why but you've got reasons of your own anyway.
                        If - and this is a very big if - I really like World of Warships, I might shell out a few dollars here or there on it.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                          We lost another WABber for a while.
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

OK why dont we make a list of user names & servers in WOT?..

my user & server names are:

OGefr_Porta - NA East

Tophatter & Radiopatrol, i added you two to the contact list.

i now have unlocked t54e1, hellcat, M4a3e8, m4a3e2, m7 priest, t25at in US line,

unlocked FV4202, Conqueror, AT8 in British line,

unlocked e75 (will not buy e100), panther, pz.sfl.V, ferdi, indien panzer, GW tiger in German line,

unlocked SA35CA, AMX M4 45, AMX 13 90 in French line,

unlocked ISU 152, T34-85, KV-1 in Russian line,

unlocked Type 34 in Chinese, Chi-ri in Japanese lines... :D

but i dont own all the tanks right now. i have T54E1, Hellcat, FV4202, Conqueror, Tiger 1, E75, ISU152, T34-8 currently.

i ll buy indien pz, ferdi, amx13 90 soon.

all British Meds after Cromwell, T71 and US auto loaders, AMX auto loaders, Su-100-152 series are great fun, M4A3E8 with 105mm, JagdPanther & Grille are also great fun.

British Heavies, French Heavies are real pain to grind...
                            Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                              gunnut, you're not referring 430 as TD, aren't you? ;)

Here's proper soviet TD:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36753[/ATTACH]
                              I said Soviet mediums and German auto loading TDs dominate high tiers now. Every single match there's a waffle something running around. The tier 10 Waffentrager E100 has incredible camo and can blast just about anything within a single mag.

Obj 263 is one of the rarest tier 10 vehicles. I rarely see them and took me forever to kill one for my Soviet expert badge. I have only killed one so far and I remember the tank I used and the map I was on. I even remember when in the match and where on the map I killed it. It's that rare.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrey Egorov View Post
                                I see total underestimation of optics here. That's sad. 5% bonus to all crew stats is barely noticeable without "Brothers in Arms" perk, which in its turn stops working when a crew man is wounded. Especially when compared to 10% bonus for visibility range. On Russian server vent is just a placeholder when nothing else suitable.
                                My high tiers used to carry optics, but have since switched to vents.

High tier tanks have high view ranges already. My commander and radioman (if present) have Recon and Situational Awareness. They are near max view ranges of the game engine.

Vent, however, adds 5% to everything, including mobility, aim time, repair time, reload time...etc. My reason is I will trade these benefits for a little view range.

Comment

Working...
                                X