Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How MUCH do you really like Battleships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How MUCH do you really like Battleships?

Just curious... :)

Late add....

How about "How Much do you really like Battleships and does your war room/man cave reflect it?"

I may have one picture of the Iowa on the wall, but it's way off to the side and the USS Helena is in the center. I have another picture of the Helena in Korea firing off to the starboard with the Missouri in the background
    Last edited by Ytlas; 22 Jul 12,, 19:54.

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    Just curious... :)
    I smell a troll....:whome:

Besides he didn't ask about aircraft carriers...:grump:

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      I smell a troll....:whome:

Besides he didn't ask about aircraft carriers...:grump:
      Why would I ask about Aircraft Carriers under the \Naval Warfare\Battleship Board?

Just a suggestion... when you prime your freshly sanded decks, try to stay upwind of the paint fumes.
      Last edited by Ytlas; 21 Jul 12,, 18:44.

Comment

Must you ask?:whome:

Theres just something about the gun ships of the USN both Battleships and Cruisers and doing things the old fashioned way instead of just pushing a button on a computer screen.

One of a kind ships.....
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

Theres just something about the gun ships of the USN both Battleships and Cruisers and doing things the old fashioned way instead of just pushing a button on a computer screen.

One of a kind ships.....
          I figured this would be an opportunity for members to drag out their artifacts, memorabilia, drawings, stories, etcetera of battleships.

Comment

Just a suggestion... when you prime your freshly sanded decks, try to stay upwind of the paint fumes.

...but of course I do as my back faces west towards the Pacific Ocean and there is never less than a 10 mph wind up top.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post

One of a kind ships.....
              Sure I like big gun ships. As a child my first picture drawings were of gun ships. Then it was gun ships and planes. Then it was gun ships shooting at planes. Then it was planes dropping bombs on gun ships

Well I really like planes :pari:

Of course, the planes were dropping bombs on the Yamato

Comment

I probably shouldn't be writing this, but I have to have something to do. I had to call paramedics and have my wife put in the hospital for possible medication complications. I just don't have the strength in my legs or the endurance of my back to keep picking her up off the floor when she mixes up her prescriptions.

But there is something about Battleships that have always caught my eye. Even the Dreadnaught classes had that bulky "Incredible Hulk" look with their sharply sloped turrets, big guns, wide breadths and that "Don't fool with me" look.

Then when the "modern" fast class Battleships came out (South Dakota, North Carolina, Iowa, Bismarck and even the Yamato class) they looked beautiful. Especially the Iowa's using an enlarged and very long Cruiser type of hull. When the Brits slugged it out with the Bismarck, even they admitted it was a beautiful ship but they had to bring her down. I've studied some of the plans of the Bismarck/Tirpitz and was awed by their sleek design and arrangements.

Adding the power of their propulsion systems and their huge guns made them even more awesome. When we modernized the Iowa's back in the 1980's, one "request" from CNO was to try not to disrupt their sleekness when we added the Cruise Missile launchers to them.

Of course, there were also our latest heavy Cruisers such as the Los Angeles, Helena, Salem, etc. I loved their "artistic" design also. But the Battleships were my main love.

I've worked on some or our biggest Aircraft Carriers and was also overawed by their extremely complex design. But the outside looks just wasn't the same as a Battleship. Being a large bore competition target shooter may have had a shadow influence as well. A 16"/50 gun barrel puts my M-1 Garand to shame in firepower, but I love the looks of my Garands as the combination of wood and steel is perfect. The M-14 is a good second but is actually an upgraded Garand using a shorter cartridge.

Also being an armor nut (I still have my driver's license for M-41 tanks and my certificate qualifying me as a Tank Turret Mechanic on M-47 and M-48 tanks) I like lots of thick stuff between me and incoming. So being an ex-shipfitter the chance to design the extra 400 tonnes of armor we added to the Iowa's in the 80's was more joy than work.

It probably all started while I was still in High School and there was an open house at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard one week end. My step father was a Mechanical Engineering Test Technician and he brought the family down. He made a special effort to make sure that the first active Navy ship I ever visited was the USS Wisconsin (named after my home state). I was hooked.

I love the sleek look of the Fletchers. I cried when the Aircraft Carrier Kearsarge was cut up for scrap a few hundred yard from our design building. I installed the catapult track covers on her and my younger brother's prom was held aboard that ship (because the hotel screwed up the reservations but the XO saved the day).

Yet, to my eyes anyway, there is no better tribute to Naval Engineering and Naval Ship Construction than an Iowa class Battleship. Designed in the days when the closest thing we had to a computer was a slide rule.

For Ytlas: I'm very sorry about including your name in that chapter of my book on HAZMAT. Amazon kept shooting back my PDF conversions and attempting to meet their standards I copied the unedited chapter. The edited chapter merely used a generic name. My bad and I sincerely apologize. I've also been contacted by a number of lawyers, including one that actually came to my house. The best thing I could give them was the name of the doctor at the NAVSTA (that I learned AFTER the book was published) was a Dr. Shelton.

Please accept my apologies for mixing up edited versions. I did not want to cause any problems for any of my best co-workers and friends. Especially you that provided so many photographs and the entire docking list of Appendix A.

Okay. 0032 hours now. No word from the hospital yet. Going to get another Vodka and keeping my cell phone on all night.
                Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Fictional Battleship

Here's an idea for a late 40's battleship - an mixture of ideas and designs - very large and impractical - but battleships had that quality...

A few details - 782' x 128' x 32', 73,400t std disp, 12 x 18"/50 (4x3), 22 X 5"/54 (11x2), 120 X 40mm/60 (30x4), 300K hp 4 srcews, 2 rudders, 32 knots.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by USSWisconsin; 22 Jul 12,, 19:37.
                  sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                  If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Do I really have to answer that question?

Comment

Follow up on my last posting. About an hour later the hospital called and my wife finally got the effects of mixed up medications cleared out of her system. So I brought her home and we finally got to bed around 0200. We've both had two naps each today, one of them with our 4 year old grandson. So everything is fine now and my wife is back to her cheerful self, especially having one of our grand children around.

As for my love of Battleships, that has not changed. Though Carriers can extend their weaponry for hundreds of miles, they still look like just a floating airfield made out of a Transformer. But a Battleship looks like the Incredable Hulk, Captain Marvel, Spiderman, The Phantom, Wonder Woman, Dare Devil, Ironman, Batman, Captain America and GI Joe all pieced meticulasy together into a single weapons platform.
                      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

I have a piece of teak decking from USS Missouri that was stripped off during her 80's reactivation.
                        It's even stamped "LBNSY BB-63". A very kindly and big-hearted gentleman was generous enough to mail it to me.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                          A very kindly and big-hearted gentleman was generous enough to mail it to me.
                          Why do I feel that Captain Morgan had something to do with that adjective laced comment?

What happened to "Curmudgeon?" Someone may be getting soft in their old age....

Comment

Why do I feel that Captain Morgan had something to do with that adjective laced comment?

What happened to "Curmudgeon?" Someone may be getting soft in their old age....
                            No Captain Morgan involved, and "Curmudgeon" you will always be ;)
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Rusty, I am very glad that your wife is okay!

Comment

Working...
                              X