Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How MUCH do you really like Battleships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love to draw and study Battleships

here is a gallery of my drawings
    Battleship art | Facebook

A book I wrote about them - draft copy
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/bat...tml#post836791

Additional volumes on each nation's ships (British and US here - the rest are in the same thread)
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/bat...tml#post860994
    http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/bat...tml#post826975

(each link points to a different post)
    Last edited by USSWisconsin; 25 Jul 12,, 05:45.
    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      I have a piece of teak decking from USS Missouri that was stripped off during her 80's reactivation.
      It's even stamped "LBNSY BB-63". A very kindly and big-hearted gentleman was generous enough to mail it to me.
      Ya mean like this? I thought I may have seen a Home Depot bar code on the back of one of these things.....

Comment

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
        Ya mean like this? I thought I may have seen a Home Depot bar code on the back of one of these things.....
        Yes, EXACTLY like that! Minus the bar code of course
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

while I don't have any memorabilia like some of you, I do have my re-enlistment flag that was flown over the USS Missouri, when I re-enlisted on board her in Pearl Harbor, Oct 2 1999.

Comment

re-post

Comment

I have 50+ battleship books in my library. A photo of USS New Jersey adornes the side of the microwave oven in my kitchen. It was 100 degrees in San Pedro yesterday and I spent eight hours on deck helping to install safety netting on topside ladders aboard USS Iowa. I loved every sweating minute of it. I am proud and happy to be a very small part of her volunteer crew.

That's how much I like battleships.

Comment

Originally posted by SharkPilot View Post
                I have 50+ battleship books in my library. A photo of USS New Jersey adornes the side of the microwave oven in my kitchen. It was 100 degrees in San Pedro yesterday and I spent eight hours on deck helping to install safety netting on topside ladders aboard USS Iowa. I loved every sweating minute of it. I am proud and happy to be a very small part of her volunteer crew.

That's how much I like battleships.
                I don't know why, but that just reminded me of a guy from the old Warships1 Board. His name was Dave Brune and he was really into battleships. He died of a heart attack in 2005 and his wife wrote me that he had requested that his large model of the USS Missouri be present at his funeral service. I don't believe he was buried with it.

Comment

Speaking of Battleships, my grandsons and I downloaded the 2012 movie "Battleships". It was a science fiction farce about an alien invasion of Earth supposedly brought on by us beaming some message to an Earth-like planet found orbiting a nearby star. The Theory of Relativity notwithstanding, the aliens somewhat quickly come to Earth, land monsterously large war machines in the Pacific near the Hawaiian Islands and set up some sort of force field that keeps the major part of the fleet outside. Their goal was to commandeer the transmitting antennas to send a message back to the home planet that they wanted more invaders.

The US Navy was holding war games with foreign navies and three Oliver Perry class frigates were inside the force field. They all eventually were sunk with superior firepower of the aliens, but the Missouri was sitting at Pearl just waiting to be put back into action. Needless to say—and this was easily as hard to accept as a radio signal travelling to a distant start at some speed that seemed faster than Einstein's limit—that the heroes of the story and some WWII veterans, somehow not only got the Missouri running, but were able to man all three main turrets and fire lots of 16 rounds at the bad guys and destroyed most of their ships including the field generators...thus letting the rest of the fleet and some effective F-18 Super Hornets to save the MO was almost certain doom when these violent, spinning metal grinding machines were just about to pounce, and the MO saved the day.

So... battleship experts, just how much fuel and 16 AP and HE rounds are currently stored in the Museum? I am assuming that there isn't any. What say you? The computer animation was terrific and the boys loved it.
                  Last edited by Builder 2010; 17 Sep 12,, 05:25.

Comment

Just in invisible anti alien invasion stuff on the 9th deck...
                    sigpic"If your plan is for one year, plant rice. If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
                    If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."

Comment

we don't just push buttons on a computer screen.. we hit a button on a console to fire the gun/launch the missiles... geeee... ;)

Comment

Working...
                      X