No announcement yet.

Syrian Civil War Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For a person who spouts to have Foreign Service experience, you know damned where that nowhere in the CWC are nations obligated to enforce the CWC. They can choose to enforce it but no nation is obligated to enforce it. That's the law.
    Chimo

Comment

• The Assad regime is already charged. https://news.un.org/en/story/2016/10...s#.WFGWadLNzIU

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        The Assad regime is already charged. https://news.un.org/en/story/2016/10...s#.WFGWadLNzIU
        That Assad is guilty is without a doubt. That is NOT the question. The question is WHO IS OBLIGATED to bring Assad and gang to the Haig?
        Chimo

Comment

• We all are or it happens again - maybe worse. That the guilty are seen to be punished matters. It has a deterrent effect. There is a UNSC meeting ongoing regarding the Skripal - Salisbury attack as I write.

Comment

We all are or it happens again - maybe worse.
            I don't see you grabbing an AK47 to go arrest Assad.

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            That the guilty are seen to be punished matters.
            Trump cruise missile Assad's ass and he's satisfied and his opinion is the only one that matters.

It has a deterrent effect.
            No one is going to arrest Assad.

There is a UNSC meeting ongoing regarding the Skripal - Salisbury attack as I write.
            So what? Russia has a veto as does China.
            Chimo

Comment

We all are or it happens again - maybe worse. That the guilty are seen to be punished matters. It has a deterrent effect. There is a UNSC meeting ongoing regarding the Skripal - Salisbury attack as I write.
              Arguably the two biggest criticisms of the UN as an organization are the veto power of permanent security council members, and it's total reliance on members to enforce resolutions rather than possessing an organic security force. It makes the UN reliant on moral rather than hard power.

There has never been much of an appetite for nation states to cede power to a higher sovereign entity and therefore the UN has no army. After all, if the UN had a standing army it would essentially be a form of world government in which an totalitarian state would possess veto power over key decision making. That would immediately make it unacceptable to the West.

Thus you're back to convincing individual states that it's in their best interests bear the costs of dragging Assad to the Hague.
              Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 05 Apr 18,, 22:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                I don't see you grabbing an AK47 to go arrest Assad.
                I am detained by other business,

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                Trump cruise missile Assad's ass and he's satisfied and his opinion is the only one that matters.
                Trump missiled an empty airport and said look at how tough I am. The next day it was operational again. That Trumps opinion matters should concern us all.

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                No one is going to arrest Assad.
                May as well give up the idea of international law then. Dog eat dog shall be the law. I prefer to hope different.

Comment

I am detained by other business,
                  I am not going to send my Canadians on your Crusade, especially one that you have no interest to bleed for.

Trump missiled an empty airport and said look at how tough I am. The next day it was operational again.
                  Fortunately, the AARs give a much more accurate assesement than your ill informed opinion.

That Trumps opinion matters should concern us all.
                  He struck Assad and 300 Russian mercs are dead.

May as well give up the idea of international law then. Dog eat dog shall be the law. I prefer to hope different.
                  International Law says I don't have to go after Assad if I don't want to. And hope is not a method.
                  Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 06 Apr 18,, 03:32.
                  Chimo

Comment

• A. You do not decide what Canada does.
                    B. You have little idea of how much I have or have not bled. At present I am heavily pregnant so not welcome at the front on active service.

On the more general level unless you act against war crimes where they happen do not be surprised when they occur in your home countries. Dictators and murderers only stop when stopped. Allowing them to be seen to 'win' will only inspire others to act in the same criminal manner.

Comment

A. You do not decide what Canada does.
                      Bloody hell I don't. I can tell Canadians how stupid this Crusade is and it's not our business. Hence, why we're not going after Assad.

B. You have little idea of how much I have or have not bled.
                      You're not going to bleed for an Assad crusade.

At present I am heavily pregnant so not welcome at the front on active service.
                      Good. Now imagine anyone tearing that baby away from you on somebody else's crusade.

On the more general level unless you act against war crimes where they happen do not be surprised when they occur in your home countries. Dictators and murderers only stop when stopped. Allowing them to be seen to 'win' will only inspire others to act in the same criminal manner.
                      Their house, their rules. My house, my rules. Live with it.
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 06 Apr 18,, 04:23.
                      Chimo

Comment

To leave the murderous Assad regime in power is contrary to every international or moral law. The lot of them belong at the court in the Hague and to allow them to continue in power encourages other would be mass murderers.
                        The Venetians, Genoans, etc. once used their galleys to rescue many tens or more of thousands of Turks back in the 1300s, Dunkirk-style, from the beaches of Anatolia and the Levant, and while I don't recall exactly from whom it was, it was either the Mongols or the Timurids.

The adage was, "better the devil you know, than the devil you don't."

disclaimer: I don't mean to apply this adage literally to the example of Assad. It's just an adage.

This principle of "better the devil you know" is why we (the US) intervened on behalf of Iraq and the Gulf Countries in the 1980s. Iran under the Ayatollah was the devil we didn't know. And by later removing a devil we knew, Saddam Hussein, combined with the Iraqi refusal to extend SOFA past 2011, this had the unintended consequence of the creation of a devil we didn't know. We spent trillions on the Iraq War and thousands of American lives were lost, and what did we get for the blood and treasure spent? An Iranian proxy/puppet state and ISIS. This principle also stays the hand of countries like Jordan, for Assad is the devil they know. For the most part, Jordan is no longer overtly intervening in the war in Syria, at least not as overtly or to the degree they were a few years ago.

Yes, Assad is one of the most terrible goddamned people on the planet. But there are literally people waiting to chop the heads off of every secularist, Christian, Druze, Ala'wite, Shi'ite, Sufi, and even every non-Wahabbi Sunni in that country. Or burn them alive in cages. Or throw them off of buildings.

There are far worse devils than Assad lurking in Syria, and half-measures, quarter-measures, and tenth-measures aren't going to be enough. Unless a multi-national coalition were to form with the political will and means to deploy 2 or 3 million troops, invest hundred of billions in reconstruction aid, and oversee free and fair elections, everything short of that is for all practical purposes an empty gesture, counter-productive, or could lead to severe unintended consequences and blowback. It's better to use what means we have at our disposal as a scalpel, rather than a bludgeon.

Now if the GCC countries and Turkey want to team up and deal with Assad, by all means, they can have at it. We (the United States and NATO) were there to defeat ISIS. My opinion is to leave this problem to the local actors, either they'll clean up their own neighborhood or they won't.
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Apr 18,, 04:46.
                        "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          Good. Now imagine anyone tearing that baby away from you on somebody else's crusade.
                          It is for those who come after us that we must strive now. It is all well and fine saying "it's not my problem" and technically you may even be right but a problem not dealt with at the start just grows; the Rhineland was re-occupied when? You think Assad is going to be content having murdered just his own people? The Shia Crescent - from the Afghan border to the Mediterranean is on but that won't end it. There are dangers in acting and in not acting but if you do not act to enforce international law do not be surprised when others stick two fingers up at it and that leaves a far more dangerous world for our children and theirs.
                          Last edited by snapper; 07 Apr 18,, 15:46.

Comment

• Wake Up! The problem was there long before North America belonged to the Vikings. Thbe only time the area was at peace was under the Mongols when they slaughtered whole cities and their armies collected 300 heads per soldier. We tried for 10 years to bring peace and prosperity from Iraq to Afghanistan and all they still wanted to do was to butcher each other.

You want to send your child into that mess, that's your preorgative but I'm not going to bleed for a bunch of murdering fucks anymore.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Actually the Mongols were defeated at the Battle of Ain Jalut in 1260 and later driven back from Syria - but hey just facts. As for myself I prefer a better, safer world for those who come after me rather than "peace in my time" for my own 'quality of life' or whatever. I do not compromise with tyrants or mass murderers; there can be none. It is us or them and if you do not understand that it is because you are fortunate enough for your family not have experienced it. "Sic semper tyrannis" is not just a saying. It is a war if need be.

Comment

Actually the Mongols were defeated at the Battle of Ain Jalut in 1260 and later driven back from Syria - but hey just facts.
                                Timurids, late 1300s/early 1400s. There's always a devil worse than the one you know.

I'd be more than glad to discuss this in the historical forum. :-)
                                "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
                                X