Page 165 of 165 FirstFirst ... 156157158159160161162163164165
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 2475

Thread: Syrian Civil War Developments

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxes View Post
    There we go, an overexcited Mattis invading another nation's air space and shooting down their assets ...
    You realize that the USAF has been operating in Syrian Air Space since September 2014 ? So... Chuck Hagel?

Quote Originally Posted by S2 View Post
    Perhaps the Iranian Air Force should defend Syrian airspace between those moments when the Persians aren't themselves shooting missiles into Syria?
    They're too busy bombing IS in Iraq since 2014 or so for that. Together with that ally who the Su-22 shot down belonged to.

In Syria they're just having their drones shot down by the USAF so far...

Senior Contributor
    Supposed BDI by Iranian UAVs for the missile strikes:

https://twitter.com/GhorbaniSadegh/s...27909326696448

Or at:
    http://178.32.255.194/ptv//SiteVideo...19/impact2.mp4
    (download to watch, 86 MB, slightly better quality)

So... Why is it okay for America to invade other countries, but not for anyone else? :D

Padishah Shahanshah Senior Contributor xerxes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The_One View Post
    So... Why is it okay for America to invade other countries, but not for anyone else? :D

Because America (despite its issues and inflated ego) has been a (net) force for good.
    That works for me.
    If we contrast the rapid progress of this mischievous discovery of gunpowder with the slow and laborious advances of reason, science, and the arts of peace, a philosopher, according to his temper, will laugh or weep at the folly of mankind. - Edward Gibbon

Xerxes,

Try avoiding the mullah's dogma when commenting here. Mattis doesn't appear particularly "excitable". Perhaps the Iranian Air Force should defend Syrian airspace between those moments when the Persians aren't themselves shooting missiles into Syria?

Will do my best on that. Sometimes though it is hard ... i mean the other day, i was listening to Fox News, and I nearly vomited after listening to some their commentaries, unfortunately I was on-line and this thread was where i could vent out.
    Sorry about that.

Not sure if the IRIAF is fast enough to be able to fly sorties in-between each of those missiles being lobbed. I mean, those rockets must have been going at an interval 40 min per launch or less ...

By the way, not all the folks in Iran (and the ones in the position of authority) are Persians. For instance, the man who holds the highest office in the country and arguably the most powerful position is (I believe) an Azari and not a Persian. Not that this matters or changes anything but just thought to let you know.
    If we contrast the rapid progress of this mischievous discovery of gunpowder with the slow and laborious advances of reason, science, and the arts of peace, a philosopher, according to his temper, will laugh or weep at the folly of mankind. - Edward Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by kato View Post
    You realize that the USAF has been operating in Syrian Air Space since September 2014 ? So... Chuck Hagel?
    Sorry, was being sarcastic

Military Professional
    Xerxes,

"...the other day, i was listening to Fox News..."

Were you looking for a laugh? I'd think the CBC would serve nicely. Or, if U.S., surely CNN or MSNBC. NPR can be good and I still like the BBC. Those might all seem more aligned to your perspective.

"...By the way, not all the folks in Iran (and the ones in the position of authority) are Persians."

C'mon, you've known me here forever (or eleven years, whichever comes first). Imagine I understand there are a few whose first language might not be Farsi. Or blood necessarily Persian.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Because it isn't just America, it's a 56 country coalition...

United States
    United Kingdom
    France
    Australia
    Canada
    Jordan
    Denmark
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Lebanon
    Morocco
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    United Arab Emirates
    Qatar
    Bahrain
    Italy
    Germany
    Spain
    Portugal
    Poland
    Georgia
    Japan
    Taiwan
    South Korea
    New Zealand
    Hungary
    Austria
    Albania
    Greece
    Bulgaria
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Serbia
    Romania
    Kosovo
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Luxembourg
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Iceland
    Ireland
    Macedonia
    Moldova
    Montenegro
    Ukraine
    Croatia
    Czech Republic
    Cyprus
    Finland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Somalia
    Kuwait
    Oman
    Tunisia

When you can convince a huge chunk of the world to not only let you intervene, but actively assist in that intervention, it's generally a sign that your actions have support from the global community.

Global Moderator Defense Professional JAD_333's Avatar
    Amplify. Details? What do you think? Loaded questions don't go over well here.
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Xerxes,

"...the other day, i was listening to Fox News..."

Were you looking for a laugh? I'd think the CBC would serve nicely. Or, if U.S., surely CNN or MSNBC. NPR can be good and I still like the BBC. Those might all seem more aligned to your perspective.

"...By the way, not all the folks in Iran (and the ones in the position of authority) are Persians."

C'mon, you've known me here forever (or eleven years, whichever comes first). Imagine I understand there are a few whose first language might not be Farsi. Or blood necessarily Persian.
    Hehe
    Wanted change
    Got tired of Anderson Cooper talking like a robot from ST:TNG
    I watch mostly Bloomberg actually.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    Because it isn't just America, it's a 56 country coalition...

United States
    United Kingdom
    France
    Australia
    Canada
    Jordan
    Denmark
    Netherlands
    Belgium
    Lebanon
    Morocco
    Saudi Arabia
    Turkey
    United Arab Emirates
    Qatar
    Bahrain
    Italy
    Germany
    Spain
    Portugal
    Poland
    Georgia
    Japan
    Taiwan
    South Korea
    New Zealand
    Hungary
    Austria
    Albania
    Greece
    Bulgaria
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    Serbia
    Romania
    Kosovo
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Luxembourg
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Iceland
    Ireland
    Macedonia
    Moldova
    Montenegro
    Ukraine
    Croatia
    Czech Republic
    Cyprus
    Finland
    Norway
    Sweden
    Somalia
    Kuwait
    Oman
    Tunisia

When you can convince a huge chunk of the world to not only let you intervene, but actively assist in that intervention, it's generally a sign that your actions have support from the global community.
    lol How's Ukraine "assisting" America over there?

And of course all those Sunni Arab countries gladly signed up to kill Shia/Alawite and Christian Syrians... No shit...

As for Canada, Canada is NATO. We don't have a choice but follow the US. Same for all the Euros

The point is, US is illegally invading Syria and attacking her troops. US is doing that. Not Canada or Denmark, or, let alone, Ukraine.

America is acting no better than Putin or anyone else...

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    lol How's Ukraine "assisting" America over there?

And of course all those Sunni Arab countries gladly signed up to kill Shia/Alawite and Christian Syrians... No shit...

As for Canada, Canada is NATO. We don't have a choice but follow the US. Same for all the Euros

The point is, US is illegally invading Syria and attacking her troops. US is doing that. Not Canada or Denmark, or, let alone, Ukraine.

The US invasion is not illegal, the fight against ISIS is a legit act of collective self defense that is permitted under the LOAC.

Senior Contributor
    Ain't captured any Yank troops who lost their way in Ukraine.

Has anyone got any clue what US or alliance policy is in Syria - or on Qatar for that matter?
    Last edited by snapper; Yesterday at 19:30.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    The US invasion is not illegal, the fight against ISIS is a legit act of collective self defense that is permitted under the LOAC.
    The problem is that under the way that the collective self defense case is styled (i.e.: a country from which attacks on other countries occur with the regular government unable or unwilling to stop them) the Syrian government is not the enemy - and unless one could assert and prove that the Syrian government supports IS in its endeavours they can't be defined as such.

In my opinion this is also the main/legal reason why the Syrian Air Force so far was able to pretty much operate unhindered by the US despite all the hubbub from that side about Assad.

Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Ain't captured any Yank troops who lost their way in Ukraine.

Has anyone got any clue what US or alliance policy is in Syria - or on Qatar for that matter?
    Alliance ? what alliance would that be. Everyone has their own agenda that at different points might overlap other's agenda.
    Someone should sketch this thing out by using overlapping circles.

As for as US foreign policy, my take is that the it has become the cart that it is being pulled by the horse, as oppose to being the horse that is pulling the cart. If former, than it is abdication and turning into a Russia-type weapon supplier fuelling other's wars. I think i might need to read McMaster's book on the Vietnam war, to see how that man thinks.

US State Department, I am sure, ain't happy about the extent of the Qatar rift. It doesn't help their agenda. But then again when was the last time in the past 20 years that the US State Department actually formulated and OWNED foreign policy. During the Obama era, White House took over the foreign policy (sure at one point they gave Libya as a case study for Hillary to practice for her resume) but it was largely Obama's show. And in the Bush era, the DoD and the Vice President took over foreign policy, because they thought they saw Jesus.

In the meantime, the current White House, is getting a geography lesson in learning that Qatar is not in the Horn of Africa but a host to CENTCOM.

Thread Information