Syrian Civil War Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    The major reason I was pleased Trump was picked was Clinton had stated publicly she wanted armed conflict with Russia. I was hoping Trump would resist the Perpetual War Party and maybe he thinks this will be a salve but McCain et al won't stop, this will just embolden them.
    Where are the usual "we don't have all the info that he has" comments?

Edit to add:

Support:
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Turkey
    • Australia
    • Israel
    • Japan
    • United Kingdom

Opposition:
    •Russia
    •Iran
    •China

If only KSA was on the lower list, he'd have a perfect score
    Last edited by Doktor; 07 Apr 17,, 11:31.
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by NUS View Post
      Given zero reaction of Russian air defense and moderate reaction from Putin, it looks like a match-fixing.
      I believe the Russian air defenses are concentrated around their own assets near Tartus and Latakia. Besides that, I doubt that they'd waste their limited supply of expensive S-400 missiles against salvoes of Tomahawks that aren't attacking them directly.

Comment

• If the perps had any doubt about Trumps resolve , they have the answer now ,,whoever it was ?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          I believe the Russian air defenses are concentrated around their own assets near Tartus and Latakia. Besides that, I doubt that they'd waste their limited supply of expensive S-400 missiles against salvoes of Tomahawks that aren't attacking them directly.
          very interesting view. Its really strange, this situation in Syria.

Comment

• Obligatory
            Attached Files

Comment

• Were the Muscovite S 300 and S400 systems asleep or did they not work? If the Muscovites were warned in advance?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                Were the Muscovite S 300 and S400 systems asleep or did they not work? If the Muscovites were warned in advance?
                Defending Russian assets near Tartus and Latakia rather than old Syrian MiGs.

I put red triangles on the map where the Russians have their air defenses. If the Tomahawk strike came in over Lebanon with nap of the earth flying, there's a good chance the Russian air defense radars were never in a position to even get a good look at them.

Even if the S-400s were in position to intercept the Tomahawks, I doubt they would bother. They don't want to blow their wad on cruise missiles and leave the door wide open for US strike fighters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	shayrat_map.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1470739
                Last edited by SteveDaPirate; 07 Apr 17,, 19:45.

Comment

• The Admiral Grigorovich is deploying to the Med off Syria.
                  Last edited by Parihaka; 07 Apr 17,, 20:28.
                  In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Defending Russian assets near Tartus and Latakia rather than old Syrian MiGs.

I put red triangles on the map where the Russians have their air defenses. If the Tomahawk strike came in over Lebanon with nap of the earth flying, there's a good chance the Russian air defense radars were never in a position to even get a good look at them.

Even if the S-400s were in position to intercept the Tomahawks, I doubt they would bother. They don't want to blow their wad on cruise missiles and leave the door wide open for US strike fighters.

[ATTACH]43662[/ATTACH]
                    Was thinking the same. Can't find right now the RT/Sputnik/RBTH & Co article where they basically say that they can't spot the Tomahawks because of the altitude, terrain, blah, blah, blah, which is essentially "We wont show you our tools"

Someone, somewhere mentioned that shooting down the missiles would've been an act of war. Anyone?

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• This is a very strange situation. Nothing makes sense.

1. Why would Assad use chems? He has Russian and American help. He has the upper hand. Why the political baggage?

2. Timing is very interesting. Xi is visiting Trump in FL. Gorsuch's confirmation is coming up (confirmed now). Bannon out, Kershner in, just prior to this attack. Fat boy has been annoying for the last 3 weeks.

3. Russians were warned when and where the target would be. Maybe a little *wink wink* *nudge nudge* to the Syrian forces.

4. Putin ain't dumb. What's in it for him?

I am totally against this attack if it's to "punish Syria for the use of chemical weapons."

I am reluctantly for this attack if it's a demonstration of force to show Kim what a real missile test looks like.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• well, look at the stranger coming back home! :-)

1. Why would Assad use chems? He has Russian and American help. He has the upper hand. Why the political baggage?
                        given their Russian backing and the fact that the administration beforehand was saying that 'we have to acknowledge the political realities of Syria', they felt emboldened to do a terror attack.

moreover, opposition has actually been doing better as of recently, a few weeks ago the rebels launched a surprise attack on Damascus.

. Russians were warned when and where the target would be. Maybe a little *wink wink* *nudge nudge* to the Syrian forces.
                        as i understand it, 30 minutes ahead of time. enough to get your people out, not enough time to move stuff around.

I am reluctantly for this attack if it's a demonstration of force to show Kim what a real missile test looks like.
                        a nice side-effect, not the main reason. Kim isn't stupid, he saw what the US did to Saddam. what's 59 cruise missiles compared to that?
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

More accurately, using the S-400 from their position would be a really nice present for the German SIGINT ships coincidentally sailing the area...

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            well, look at the stranger coming back home! :-)
                            Be very wary, he will jack a thead or few : - )

given their Russian backing and the fact that the administration beforehand was saying that 'we have to acknowledge the political realities of Syria', they felt emboldened to do a terror attack.
                            If you go along that line, still doesn't add. Russians could level two hills for him and kill more opposition.

moreover, opposition has actually been doing better as of recently, a few weeks ago the rebels launched a surprise attack on Damascus.
                            Which failed.

as i understand it, 30 minutes ahead of time. enough to get your people out, not enough time to move stuff around.
                            Nice explanations why some parts of the base were intact.

a nice side-effect, not the main reason. Kim isn't stupid, he saw what the US did to Saddam. what's 59 cruise missiles compared to that?
                            Erm, he was a kid back than and executed all the witnesses, so, consider this a friendly reminder.

Comment

• Personally I think this is purely domestic. The world stage is simply a platform to play out domestic melodramas. McCain and Graham, after being the instigators and disseminators of the golden shower dossier are suddenly BFF with Trump

“We salute the skill and professionalism of the U.S. Armed Forces who carried out tonight’s strikes in Syria. Acting on the orders of their commander-in-chief, they have sent an important message the United States will no longer stand idly by as Assad, aided and abetted by Putin’s Russia, slaughters innocent Syrians with chemical weapons and barrel bombs.

“Unlike the previous administration, President Trump confronted a pivotal moment in Syria and took action. For that, he deserves the support of the American people. Building on tonight’s credible first step, we must finally learn the lessons of history and ensure that tactical success leads to strategic progress. That means following through with a new, comprehensive strategy in coordination with our allies and partners to end the conflict in Syria. The first measure in such a strategy must be to take Assad’s air force—which is responsible not just for the latest chemical weapons attack, but countless atrocities against the Syrian people—completely out of the fight. We must also bolster support for the vetted Syrian opposition and establish safe zones to address the ongoing humanitarian crisis. As we do, we can and must continue the campaign to achieve ISIS’s lasting defeat.”
                              In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• moreover, opposition has actually been doing better as of recently, a few weeks ago the rebels launched a surprise attack on Damascus.
                                That and the offensive in Hama, spearheaded by AQ, ended up failing.

As of lately, right before the alleged chemical attack, hope from their Western shills was in short supply and the Government had the upper hand on the battlefield.

We must also bolster support for the vetted Syrian opposition and establish safe zones to address the ongoing humanitarian crisis. As we do, we can and must continue the campaign to achieve ISIS’s lasting defeat.”
                                Vetted groups have joined AQ and AAS, the sooner McCain drops dead the better we as a nation will be.
                                Last edited by troung; 07 Apr 17,, 23:53.
                                To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

Working...
                                X