Team USA's Opening and Closing Ceremony uniforms were made in China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
    America is still the largest manufacturer in the world is it not?
    Of what? SW, pills(?) and weapons?
    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
      Of what? SW, pills(?) and weapons?
      U.S. still No. 1 manufacturing country despite cutbacks at factories | Dallas-Fort Worth Business News - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

What has happened is the US has far fewer manufacturing jobs as automation has taken over while China has increased its production by keeping wages low. What is the more sustainable policy?
      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Then why no robots making Levi's, Wrangler, Lee, and oh, Olympic uniforms?

I knew that USA produces more then China, just we don't see most of those products.

Few weeks ago our supplier from Italy sent us bath sponges from cellulose labeled "Made in USA". Before they were Made in Italy.
        Transporting sponges from USA to Macedonia via Italy... I wondered the manufacturing cost. Landed cost here, including custom duties and VAT is 0,55 eur.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Then why no robots making Levi's, Wrangler, Lee, and oh, Olympic uniforms?

I knew that USA produces more then China, just we don't see most of those products.

Few weeks ago our supplier from Italy sent us bath sponges from cellulose labeled "Made in USA". Before they were Made in Italy.
          Transporting sponges from USA to Macedonia via Italy... I wondered the manufacturing cost. Landed cost here, including custom duties and VAT is 0,55 eur.
          Effectively you are asking why doesn't the US make everything in the world?
          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Haha, no.

They never did. But it is kinda confusing they stopped producing some of their iconic items in USA.

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
              Now I buy Wrangler at one-half the price.
              Ditto. Although work-s-day Levis hold up longer, they don't last twice as long at twice the price. I burn through a lot of Wranglers working construction.
              To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Wrangler and Lee are also not on the list.

Now, don't tell me Zippo and Ford Mustang are made outside USA.

Damn Coke started it.
                My Zippo is made in the USA.

Ford Mustang may not be completely made in the USA as parts could come from Ford's plants in Canada and Mexico.
                "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

In a weird kind of way, I am glad we never made anything iconic.

Comment

Jul 13, 2012 4:48pm

Senate Democrats Introducing ‘Team USA Made in America Act of 2012′

After outrage on Capitol Hill yesterday when an ABC World News report revealed that the U.S. Olympic team’s opening ceremony outfits are made in China, members of Congress are trying to put some laws on the books to make sure this never happens again.

In the Senate next week a group of six Democratic senators will introduce legislation that would require the U.S. Olympic Committee to outfit the U.S. Olympic team in clothes made in America for all future Olympic games.

Senators Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), Frank R. Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Bob Casey (D-Pa.), Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) and Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) today announced they will introduce the “Team USA Made In America Act of 2012″ next week in Congress.

The legislation would require the USOC to “adopt a procurement policy that requires ceremonial uniforms the USOC purchases or commissions be sewn or assembled in the United States.”

Team USA will be marching into the 2012 Olympic Opening Ceremony wearing Ralph Lauren blazers and berets, much as they did four years ago when Lauren dressed them. ABC’s Sharyn Alfonsi reported Wednesday evening that every clothing item they’ll be wearing at the opening ceremony in London will carry an overseas label.

Some on Capitol Hill responded Thursday to the report with outrage, some even suggesting making a bonfire with the outfits.

“I think they should take all the uniforms, put them in a big pile and burn them and start all over again,” Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., said when asked by ABC News Thursday. “If they have to wear nothing but a singlet that says USA on it, painted by hand, that is what they should wear.”

The new legislation’s intention is to secure this policy for future Olympic Games, but the senators are still calling for the U.S. Olympic Committee to change this year’s outfits out of principle.

“I call on the USOC to do the right thing for this summer’s team,” Sen. Menendez said in a statement today. “I call on my colleagues to help pass this bill to ensure we don’t find ourselves in this appalling, embarrassing situation before the opening of the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics.”

The bill would amend the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur Sports Act to require the adoption of a policy that requires the uniforms to be “sewn or assembled in the United States with fabrics formed and cut in the United States or components knit to shape from yarns wholly formed in the United States. ”

If the USOC can’t meet the procurement requirement under the new legislation, they would have to provide a detailed justification for sourcing from overseas, the legislation will say.

“The pride of our Olympic athletics goes hand in hand with the pride of American innovation and manufacturing,” Senator Gillibrand said. “We shouldn’t be going to the world stage with anything less. From head to toe, Team USA must be made in America.”
                    Senate Democrats Introducing ‘Team USA Made in America Act of 2012′ - ABC News

Really? You guys have nothing else better to do?

How about STOP BORROWING MONEY FROM CHINA?

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                      How about STOP BORROWING MONEY FROM CHINA?
                      Who said America doesn't rely off the sweat of Communism?
                      Ego Numquam

Comment

Originally posted by Chunder View Post
                        Who said America doesn't rely off the sweat of Communism?
                        I have no problem exploiting communism. I have a problem paying off communism.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                          I have no problem exploiting communism. I have a problem paying off communism.
                          It appears they are exploiting your Achilles heel:- a penchant for spending money that aint yours to pacify your honourable politicians spending habits :).
                          Ego Numquam

Comment

Working...
                          X