Thread: My first rifle purchase - Grizzly Bear Defence in mind - SKS?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Canadian again at last! Military Professional

My first rifle purchase - Grizzly Bear Defence in mind - SKS?

Hi guys I need some advice on my first rifle buy. I take my test Monday which I am going to challenge. The words are big and it's a multiple choice test so should be sweet. I hope anything else comes back to me for the practical. I am back working at a mine so time is limited and the courses always seem to run while I am away.

First off I live in Yellowknife, Canada. We do not have a gun store up here so my options are internet that can get me the rifle fast. Within days really or buy privately from someone in the area.

I expect to pass my test and send off the papers Monday the 9th which allow me to legally buy a firearm. My road trip to the Yukon, Alaska and Northern BC starts on the 25th of August and I want a protection firearm in bear country. We will be wheeling and camping all over just myself and the missus. Even she wants a rifle and thought of that on her own for protection.

I have a line on an SKS that has been in storage since after manufacturing. It still has packing grease in it. I can get this rifle now and give it to a friend who can own a rifle until my papers come in to be able to take it home. I don't want to get in any trouble of course.

Here is the add.

SKS RIFLE +CRATE of AMMO $400 FIRM (Lower price) - Yellowknife Sports, bikes For Sale - YKTrader Yellowknife Northwest Territories

I know it would not be a great bear hunting rifle but perhaps as a last option it would be better than a stick. I would also like to go hunting for the first time, could I use this as my starter rifle? I've been invited by some friends I work with which I look forward to.

I'm open to other ideas, I'd also need ordering ideas to go outside of a private sale within Canada. Unless an American company can get one to me quickly.
    Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 06 Jul 12, at 05:41.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Officer of Engineers
    SKS? You can't get close enough to any real game up there and those that would get that close, you want maximum load possible. I say nothing short of a .308, looking very strongly at a .30-06.

Canadian again at last! Military Professional
    For self defence I would be already too close. Plus I am limited to what I can get my hands on locally.

I imagine I would want a semi automatic at least. What models should I be looking at in the calibres you suggest?

My rifle knowledge is really limited as well. Anything I have fired would not be a choice for bush defence. .22's and a C7 along with a small shot gun for skeet shooting are all I have experience with. The C7 and shotgun where also one day only events. No budget for reservists in the late 90's. :(
    Last edited by Repatriated Canuck; 06 Jul 12, at 05:58.
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    College students are very, very, very dumb. But that's what you get when the government subsidizes children to sit in the middle of a corn field to drink alcohol and fuck.

Officer of Engineers
    Self defence, nothing is cheaper than a 12 gauge. And for $400, you can get a very good 2nd hand pump. If your forearms are good, it's almost as fast as a semi-auto especially if you learn how to pump and reacquire your aim. You have to do that regardless of what action you use - reacquire your aim.

$400 price range, you're into the REMINGTON 740 series and the WINCHESTER 100 series. However, you have to have a good eye on just how good the rifle is.

Like everything else, there are good used rifles and bad used rifles. I rather go to a gun smith or a hunting store. At least there, you know the barrel is straight.

Officer of Engineers
    I would call LeBaron. They'll email you their catalog on request. They don't advertise their firearms on the internet but they're fast in getting you quality firearms at good prices ... well good prices for Canada.

Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    I don't know enough about Canada's law to be of any help. However, a rifle that can be of any use against a large bear is too much for self-defense against pests of the 2-legged kind.

SKS is good for prey up to a small deer. The round is roughly in the same class as the old 30-30 Winchester. It will seriously annoy a grizzley. It is a fun gun to shoot and fairly cheap to operate.

Colonel has the right idea. A nice pump shotgun is cheap to buy, cheap to operate, and very versatile. Load buck shots for defense against crooks or a solid slug against larger animals. Not sure how a slug or sabot round works against a grizzley though.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Marlin Model 1895 in 45-70.. enough UMMPH to take down the biggest bear (and they have plenty of times) cost is reasonable, and it's much easier to get in Communist Canada than a semi-auto since it's a lever action.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by dundonrl View Post
    Marlin Model 1895 in 45-70.. enough UMMPH to take down the biggest bear (and they have plenty of times) cost is reasonable, and it's much easier to get in Communist Canada than a semi-auto since it's a lever action.

Marlin has a semi-modernized variant, Model 1895SBL in .45-70, in corrosion resistant steel, extended 6 round magazine, ghost ring rear peep, high-vis front post, a Picatinny-esque scope rail, a large lever suitable for a gloved hand, and a laminated stock (not pretty, but tough and quiet).
    Name:  photo_1895SBL.jpg
Views: 2092
Size:  5.3 KB
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...re/1895SBL.asp

Add a nice quick detachable scope mount, one that will shift the scope rearward to usable eye relief.
    Name:  SWFA201300.jpg
Views: 2103
Size:  14.0 KB
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-Precision-Optic...nt-P48134.aspx

And a scope SWFA SS HD 1-6x24, with mil gradient turrets and mil gradient reticle in the first focal plane, with illuminated donut.
    http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-HD-1-6x24-Ta...pe-P53845.aspx
    Name:  SSHD16x24D.jpg
Views: 2104
Size:  9.5 KB

Name:  SSHD16x24D-rt_popup.jpg
Views: 2112
Size:  10.5 KB

Name:  SSHD16x24D-4.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  10.8 KB
    Last edited by JRT; 12 Jan 16, at 19:07.

shotgun yes

an SKS might be the bear minimum, When I visited AK, I carried a .357 with soft point, partial jacket, but I was not going to be out and about that much, and it was all I had on short notice. My druthers would have been a benelli auto with magnum 3" slugs, 5" or smaller groups at 100 yards, sitting. I figure that if you have to shoot a grizz you empty the gun, they are bad ass! And you can shoot birds with shot shells, snakes, pushy denali sheep, zombie sea otters, you could even shoot an Elk if he tries to get your Elkyhol. I vote 12 ga of some sort, very versitile.
    Last edited by cadpipe; 08 Jul 12, at 03:42. Reason: left out a space
    CADPIPE

Thread Information