Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first rifle purchase - Grizzly Bear Defence in mind - SKS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 13 year old son went with me on his first deer hunting trip this year. He was an observer only. We had a week on the tag but he could only stay a couple of days as the wife didn't want him to miss more than a day of school. We covered a lot of territory but a legal buck was not to be. He is hooked on hunting though so now the work begins so he can get a license and a tag for himself next year. I bought a Remington 700 youth model chambered in a 7mm-08. That should work for him and the wife. I took it out and ran the gun through its paces and now I am torn. After sighting it in I got a 5 shot half inch spread. Haven't even ran 20 rounds through it yet. I don't want to give this rifle up. Light, pleasant to shoot and very accurate. Giving the kid this rifle is like lending a 16 year old kid a Ferrari.
    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

Originally posted by bonehead View Post
      My 13 year old son went with me on his first deer hunting trip this year. He was an observer only. We had a week on the tag but he could only stay a couple of days as the wife didn't want him to miss more than a day of school. We covered a lot of territory but a legal buck was not to be. He is hooked on hunting though so now the work begins so he can get a license and a tag for himself next year. I bought a Remington 700 youth model chambered in a 7mm-08. That should work for him and the wife. I took it out and ran the gun through its paces and now I am torn. After sighting it in I got a 5 shot half inch spread. Haven't even ran 20 rounds through it yet. I don't want to give this rifle up. Light, pleasant to shoot and very accurate. Giving the kid this rifle is like lending a 16 year old kid a Ferrari.
      Quit being a Grinch! Give the kid his rifle, and ask Santa for one for yourself.
      "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

Actually never heard of this round. It's a neck down .308. The specs read very impressive. Certainly a very good deer round. St Peter's slippers, I would be hesitant too.

But all told, I would be sticking to my .30-06. A bit overkill for a deer rifle but more than enough against the big 3 bears in the Americas.
        Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 19 Dec 14,, 05:10.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Actually never heard of this round. It's a neck down .308. The specs read very impressive. Certainly a very good deer round. St Peter's slippers, I would be hesitant too.

But all told, I would be sticking to my .30-06. A bit overkill for a deer rifle but more than enough against the big 3 bears in the Americas.
          Off topic, but why did our infantry rifle cartridges get less powerful over time? First .30-06, then 7.62 NATO, then 5.56 NATO...

Comment

Placement. It was far more important to hit the target than to stop the target, ie, I rather you hit the target 5 times out of 10 with light punches than to miss all 10 itimes n trying to hit him once with a single heavy punch.
            Chimo

Comment

Placement. It was far more important to hit the target than to stop the target, ie, I rather you hit the target 5 times out of 10 with light punches than to miss all 10 itimes n trying to hit him once with a single heavy punch.
              So the thinking is that as long as you hit them they will be out of action and a burden to the logistics train?

Comment

No, the thinking is that a hit, no matter how light, is better than a miss, no matter how heavy.

The 7.62x39 is a revolution in military firearms thinking.
                Chimo

Comment

I was going back and forth between the 7mm-08 and the .308 The 7mm-08 was at the right store at the right time. Its rare I run into a black bear anymore. Wolves and cougars are more common for me.

Comment

Even if you do run into a black bear, 5 rounds in a half inch grouping within 30 seconds would be enough ... unless you miss.

Do recall what I said about modern hunting spears ... with the guard.
                    Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by tuna View Post
                      Quit being a Grinch! Give the kid his rifle, and ask Santa for one for yourself.
                      This was never going to be a Christmas gift. He is going to have to earn the right to use it as he would with any of my rifles. He will have to prove to me he is always going to make good decisions with it and he has to prove he understands the consequences of what a single careless act will bring. Right now we have about 9 months for him do do so and acquaint himself with the rifle before the next hunting season. When he goes out in the woods next fall I don't want him going out with a "new toy".

Comment

Then what the hell are you complaining about. 9 months? Get yourself a 7mm-Mag. You will never get a flatter rifle outside the .50cals and try to get that grin off your face for 9 months.
                        Chimo

Comment

Even if you do run into a black bear, 5 rounds in a half inch grouping within 30 seconds would be enough ... unless you miss.

Do recall what I said about modern hunting spears ... with the guard.

I cant find it but I did say somewhere something to the effect that if I did lose to a bear the bear would die of lead poisoning…..eventually.

Comment

Then what the hell are you complaining about. 9 months? Get yourself a 7mm-Mag. You will never get a flatter rifle outside the .50cals and try to get that grin off your face for 9 months.
                            I already have a .300 mag to deal with the larger animals. It is my son that needs the 9 months to get acquainted. He has rarely shot anything more than a .22. I want him to be comfortable with whatever rifle he goes hunting with and that will take a lot of shooting. He also is getting trained in map and compass, field first aid, hunting ethics, tracking, etc, and he is going to be able to survive a night in the woods with only the bare essentials. Those 9 months are going to fly by. I simply have the belief that a persons first of everything is what gets the lions share of the abuse. First car, first gun, first knife, first wife, etc. I am just hesitant of all those mistakes being made on such a great shooter. Therefore I am considering swapping out my 31 year old and much heavier .270 for the newer and much lighter 7mm-08 for me and getting another lighter rifle, and hopefully cheaper, for him to use. I'd feel better if he dents and scratches a Ford rather than a Ferrari. Once he can prove he can drive the Ford then he can have the keys to the Ferrari. By then he would appreciate the ride too.

Comment

My son muscled through his state mandated hunter training yesterday. Now I have to give up the rifle. This spring and summer are going to be busy…shooting and cleaning the rifle.

Comment

Marlin Model 1895 in 45-70.. enough UMMPH to take down the biggest bear (and they have plenty of times) cost is reasonable, and it's much easier to get in Communist Canada than a semi-auto since it's a lever action.

Comment

Working...
                                X