No announcement yet.

USS America (LHA-6) News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning the rails. In Dress Blue Deltas. Hard to get it to suck much more than that.

Since I'm seeing female sailors and Marines standing alongside the railing, I must ask:

Are we still MANning the rails? or are we PERSONing the rails?

I remember when the 2 Man Rule became 2 Person Integrity.

On another note. I see that the WMs are wearing the same cover as male Marines with their Dress Blues. Its about time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
      Since I'm seeing female sailors and Marines standing alongside the railing, I must ask:

Well, they still have yeoman rather than yeoperson, and I'm sure they're still calling out "All hands man your battle stations" rather than "All hands person your battle stations". Midshipmen are still graduating from Annapolis rather than midshipperson (sounds like your male offspring is working at FedEx if you say it incorrectly out loud!)

So...yeah, probably still manning the rails in fine naval tradition :)

A further question though: If one addresses a male JO as "Mister", what is the correct corresponding form of address for a female JO? Is Mister correct as well or would it be Miss?
      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        Well, they still have yeoman rather than yeoperson, and I'm sure they're still calling out "All hands man your battle stations" rather than "All hands person your battle stations". Midshipmen are still graduating from Annapolis rather than midshipperson (sounds like your male offspring is working at FedEx if you say it incorrectly out loud!)

So...yeah, probably still manning the rails in fine naval tradition :)

A further question though: If one addresses a male JO as "Mister", what is the correct corresponding form of address for a female JO? Is Mister correct as well or would it be Miss?
        Yes, we still "man the rails"

And as far as addressing the O's goes, it's "sir" and "ma'am". I refer to my DIVO as Mr., and others as Ms. Typically, sir and ma'am, though.
        "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

• But apparently, ma'am is inappropriate to address a female Senator as Barbara Boxer has indicated.

Comment

• You do realize it wasn't a serious question, don't you?

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              But apparently, ma'am is inappropriate to address a female Senator as Barbara Boxer has indicated.
              Because protocol dictates that she be addressed as "Senator".

Comment

You do realize it wasn't a serious question, don't you?
                Of course I do...and neither was my response, mostly :tankie:
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Because protocol dictates that she be addressed as "Senator".
                  I've been looking for the official protocol for addressing a Congressperson in...um, person. Boxer said it was "just a thing".

Pretty pretentious either way if you ask me. Even the Queen is addressed as "Your Majesty" once and then "Ma'am" thereafter.

Comment

I've been looking for the official protocol for addressing a Congressperson in...um, person. Boxer said it was "just a thing".

Pretty pretentious either way if you ask me. Even the Queen is addressed as "Your Majesty" once and then "Ma'am" thereafter.
                    From way back at Knife and fork school, we were taught to address them as Senator "Last Name", Just as you address a Flag Officer as General or Admiral . And you do so each time, until they get tired of it and tell you to call them Sir/Ma'am.

Comment

Manning the rails. In Dress Blue Deltas. Hard to get it to suck much more than that.

I remember when the 2 Man Rule became 2 Person Integrity.

On another note. I see that the WMs are wearing the same cover as male Marines with their Dress Blues. Its about time.
                      Leave it to an old gunny to bring up the boogieperson of the PC era.
                      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• On the topic of uniforms, why did the navy decide to go with this?

Doesn't that look a lot like the water you might find yourself swimming in on short notice? I can't help but think a neon orange or green might have been a garish, but better choice.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
                          On the topic of uniforms, why did the navy decide to go with this?
                          "The overall blue color reflects the Navy's heritage and connection to seaborne operations. The pixelated pattern is also used to hide wear and stains, something unavoidable with the utilities and working khakis used previously. The colors were also chosen to match the most commonly used paint colors aboard ship, extending the lifetime of the uniform on long deployments where uniforms often come into contact with freshly painted surfaces. "

Comment

"The overall blue color reflects the Navy's heritage and connection to seaborne operations. The pixelated pattern is also used to hide wear and stains, something unavoidable with the utilities and working khakis used previously. The colors were also chosen to match the most commonly used paint colors aboard ship, extending the lifetime of the uniform on long deployments where uniforms often come into contact with freshly painted surfaces. "
                            I sure hope you are just quoting a public relations person and that in no way did you write that

As to the comment about painted surfaces I now know where they got their idea. Obviously the Navy spent time watching house painters in their multi-colored overalls paint houses and thought hey.....

Comment

• Oh, and another news article mentioned that the ship's crew is 1/3 women. I wonder how that might impact damage control? Isn't that a pet peeve of one of our members ;)

Comment

In my day, washing your uniform was a way to hide stains. That, and not spilling paint all over yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X