Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chanjyj View Post
    This is confusing. LHD, LHA, LPD, LSD.
    What exactly is the role of a LHA as opposed to the rest now? Any changes?
    I is also confoozed. This ship is definitely not of the LHA Tarawa class ships of which only 5 were built (LBNSY was the planning yard and I was the structural design project leader of all repairs, modifications, repairs, upgrades and repairs). It certainly is much larger than the LHD Wasp class ships (I had to figure out how to get the bomb elevators to work right on the Essex)

The Tarawa class ships have a bow thruster to keep them stable for helicopter and amphibious ops. This ship has a long bulbous bow that is definitely built for speed. I sure would like to see an air view photo of the flight deck.

The rear ramp looks like it has a "hangar" door above like the Tarawas did. Probably an elevator just forward of it as well. Hope it doesn't fall down like the one on Tarawa did.

Though the H in the designatiom means she is a Helcopter Assault ship, she is certainly big enough for Ospreys and Harriers. That's another reason I would like to see a top view of her to see the locations and sizes of the aircraft elevators. I wouldn't be surprised to see a catapult and arresting gear to make it a multi-purpose air assault ship.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Read the story quoted in full in post-888413.

Last edited by JRT; 13 Oct 12,, 21:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
        Those are not part of an Assault force. They are pat of the MPF. They will never be assigned to an ARG. Only used for MPF offload where we have a secure port.
        How can you be sure? These new MLP's are powered by two LM2500 Gas turbines, pumping out 64,000 HP, therefore they should be able keep up with amphibious assault ships. They can launch their LCACs in the open ocean (float on-float off, when she sits lower after flooding its ballast tanks; it is a semi-submersible), so what is the need for a secure port?
        Last edited by surfgun; 14 Oct 12,, 00:13.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
          I is also confoozed. This ship is definitely not of the LHA Tarawa class ships of which only 5 were built (LBNSY was the planning yard and I was the structural design project leader of all repairs, modifications, repairs, upgrades and repairs). It certainly is much larger than the LHD Wasp class ships (I had to figure out how to get the bomb elevators to work right on the Essex)

The Tarawa class ships have a bow thruster to keep them stable for helicopter and amphibious ops. This ship has a long bulbous bow that is definitely built for speed. I sure would like to see an air view photo of the flight deck.

The rear ramp looks like it has a "hangar" door above like the Tarawas did. Probably an elevator just forward of it as well. Hope it doesn't fall down like the one on Tarawa did.

Though the H in the designatiom means she is a Helcopter Assault ship, she is certainly big enough for Ospreys and Harriers. That's another reason I would like to see a top view of her to see the locations and sizes of the aircraft elevators. I wouldn't be surprised to see a catapult and arresting gear to make it a multi-purpose air assault ship.
          Rusty, the LHA 6 is the same size as an LHD. Ingalls even uses an ariel photo of LHD 8 to give one the appearance of what the LHA 6 would look like from above, see this link.
          Ingalls Shipbuilding: Large Deck Amphibs

Comment

I don't think LHA-6 has the stern hatch and ramp that had been included in earlier concepts of the LHA(R), not included in the final design. Here is a picture of the stern.

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
              Rusty, the LHA 6 is the same size as an LHD. Ingalls even uses an ariel photo of LHD 8 to give one the appearance of what the LHA 6 would look like from above, see this link.
              Ingalls Shipbuilding: Large Deck Amphibs
              Take off the helo and put on a deck load of Hellcats, Avengers and some Helldivers and you would have what looks like a straight deck WWII Essex Class at a quick glance. In fact, photoshop those planes in and some people would get so focused on the planes that they would argue that it IS an Essex Class.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                I don't think LHA-6 has the stern hatch and ramp that had been included in earlier concepts of the LHA(R), not included in the final design. Here is a picture of the stern.
                the America LHA-6 and Tripoli LHA-7 are "baby carriers" in that they do not have well decks.. later ships of the class will have well decks, and will basically be LHD-8's with a LHA designation on them.

Comment

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Take off the helo and put on a deck load of Hellcats, Avengers and some Helldivers and you would have what looks like a straight deck WWII Essex Class at a quick glance. In fact, photoshop those planes in and some people would get so focused on the planes that they would argue that it IS an Essex Class.
                  Well, why not go back into time 70 years ago? How many B-25 Mitchells could you park on her for Doolittle's raiders?

And to Surfgun: Thanks for the link. She is strictly for VTOL aircraft.

And to jrt: That's a good shot of the stern. You're right. No Amphibs. I'm a bit leary of some of Ingalls designs anyway. They did some fantastic things, but also made some enormous boo-boos as well.

By the way, anybody know what her beam is? Without the overhang of the elevators and island.
                  Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

By the way, anybody know what her beam is? Without the overhang of the elevators and island.
                    I checked the USN's vessel register for USS America (LHA-6), which is listed as having a waterline beam of 106 feet, and an extreme beam that is also 106 feet.

And for comparison I also looked up USS Makin Island (LHD-8), which is listed as having a waterline beam of 106 feet and an extreme beam of 118 feet.

USS Austin (LPD-4) is listed as having a waterline beam of 84 feet, and an extreme beam of 105 feet.

USS Arleigh Burke (DDG-51) is listed as having a waterline beam of 59 feet, extreme beam of 66 feet.

For the trihull USS Independence (LCS-2), they don't list a figure for waterline beam, but show an extreme beam of 104 feet.

The monohull USS Freedom (LCS-1) is listed as having a waterline beam of 43 feet, and extreme beam of 57 feet.

Wikipedia's entry for Panamax shows a beam width limit at 106 feet, and for New Panamax 160.7 feet. So maybe they should build new trihull LHDs 160 feet wide, keeping the center hull wide enough for an LCAC well deck, but providing a much wider flight deck and hangar deck.
                    Last edited by JRT; 14 Oct 12,, 07:40.

Comment

Originally posted by JRT View Post
                      Read the story quoted in full in post-888413.
                      IMO the story doesn't give anything. At least, not what we are really interested in.

How will the 2 current LHAs w/o well docks fit into ORBAT vis a vis the current ships (and future ships of the same class) with a well dock, assuming it is a direct replacement (considering the fact that 3 of the Tarawa class have been decommissioned); which ships will now carry the troops, logistics (larger ship, more aviation).. there are alot of question marks.

Comment

A quick rundown,

LHD- full flight deck, carries 3 LCAC (Wasp Class)

LHA- Full flight deck, not capable of carrying LCAC carries 4 LCUs (Tarawa class)

LPD- 2 spot flight deck with Hanger, Carries 2 LCAC (San Antonio class)

LSD- 2 spot flight deck no hanger, carries 4 LCAC (Whidbey Island class)

LSD- 2 spot flight deck no hanger, carries 2 LCAC (Harpers Ferry Class) Modified WI class. More cargo capacity at loss of LCAC space.

Comment

IMO the story doesn't give anything. At least, not what we are really interested in.

How will the 2 current LHAs w/o well docks fit into ORBAT vis a vis the current ships (and future ships of the same class) with a well dock, assuming it is a direct replacement (considering the fact that 3 of the Tarawa class have been decommissioned); which ships will now carry the troops, logistics (larger ship, more aviation).. there are alot of question marks.
                          Not sure how it will fit. Back in the LPH days, troops had to be ferried from the Iwo Jima to ships with well decks so they could go ashore. This due to credible AA threats.
                          And that was during our 1970s excursions off Lebanon.

I can see this thing being used as a "Harrier Carrier (F-35)" when doing operations such as our last 2 Iraq trips. Marines using MPF equipment and since the America doesn't have a well deck she could take that role from day one vice having to get rid of the GCE first.

She could also be used as a SOF platform for pirate operations.
                          Last edited by Gun Grape; 15 Oct 12,, 11:58.

Comment

Story Number: NNS121020-12Release Date: 10/20/2012 5:38:00 PM A A A
                            By Ensign Darius A. Radzius, Navy Office of Information
                            PASCAGOULA, Miss. (NNS) -- The newest amphibious assault ship America (LHA 6) was christened Oct. 20 at a ceremony in Pascagoula, Miss.

"When America joins the fleet, we'll be a stronger, more flexible, and a better Marine Corps team. We need this ship," said Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mark Ferguson during the ceremony.

The 844-foot ship will be a flexible, multi-mission platform necessary to quickly respond to incidents worldwide and provide forward presence and project power as part of joint, interagency, and multinational maritime expeditionary forces.

America also marks the first of the Navy's newest class of amphibious assault ships replacing the Tawara class. It is considered to be the next generation "big-deck" amphibious ship. The new ship will be more capable to support current and future aircraft such as the tilt-rotor MV-22 Osprey and Joint Strike Fighter.

"It's kind of like a mini-aircraft carrier," said Lynne Pace, the ship's sponsor prior to breaking a bottle of champagne over the bow.

As an amphibious ship, its mission will include embarking, transporting, controlling, inserting, sustaining and extracting elements of a marine air-ground task force, and support forces by helicopters and tilt-rotor aircraft.

"To the crew, you are charged with a very special responsibility between now and the commissioning of this ship. You will set the standard of excellence. You will set the personality," Ferguson told the ship's crew.

This is the fourth ship in Navy history to be named America. The first was a 74-gun ship-of-of-the-line that was used by the Continental Navy that was then presented to the king of France as a gift in appreciation for his country's support to the new nation. The preceding America was a Kitty-Hawk class aircraft carrier that played key roles between the Vietnam War and Operation Desert Storm.

Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Miss., laid the keel in July 2009 and plans to deliver the ship in 2013 after conducting a series of sea trials.

The USS America will be homeported in San Diego.

To view a recording of the ceremony visit, U.S. Navy - live streaming video powered by Livestream.

Comment

It looks like the new LHA's may be getting an aerial tanker.
                              http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver...1621.Large.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                                It looks like the new LHA's may be getting an aerial tanker.
                                http://sitelife.aviationweek.com/ver...1621.Large.jpg
                                That's a good idea, but I wonder what the useful fuel load is for an MV-22? My calculations come up with about 15,000 lbs of fuel, which roughly translates to about 2,500 gallons.
                                "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

Working...
                                X