Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 190

Thread: USS America (LHA-6) News

  1. #151
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    9,009
    Manning the rails. In Dress Blue Deltas. Hard to get it to suck much more than that.


    Since I'm seeing female sailors and Marines standing alongside the railing, I must ask:

    Are we still MANning the rails? or are we PERSONing the rails?

    I remember when the 2 Man Rule became 2 Person Integrity.

    On another note. I see that the WMs are wearing the same cover as male Marines with their Dress Blues. Its about time.
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

  2. #152
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    16,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Since I'm seeing female sailors and Marines standing alongside the railing, I must ask:

    Are we still MANning the rails? or are we PERSONing the rails?
    Well, they still have yeoman rather than yeoperson, and I'm sure they're still calling out "All hands man your battle stations" rather than "All hands person your battle stations". Midshipmen are still graduating from Annapolis rather than midshipperson (sounds like your male offspring is working at FedEx if you say it incorrectly out loud!)

    So...yeah, probably still manning the rails in fine naval tradition

    A further question though: If one addresses a male JO as "Mister", what is the correct corresponding form of address for a female JO? Is Mister correct as well or would it be Miss?
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

    "The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

  3. #153
    Patron Squirrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    10 Jul 11
    Location
    The Study
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    Well, they still have yeoman rather than yeoperson, and I'm sure they're still calling out "All hands man your battle stations" rather than "All hands person your battle stations". Midshipmen are still graduating from Annapolis rather than midshipperson (sounds like your male offspring is working at FedEx if you say it incorrectly out loud!)

    So...yeah, probably still manning the rails in fine naval tradition

    A further question though: If one addresses a male JO as "Mister", what is the correct corresponding form of address for a female JO? Is Mister correct as well or would it be Miss?
    Yes, we still "man the rails"

    And as far as addressing the O's goes, it's "sir" and "ma'am". I refer to my DIVO as Mr., and others as Ms. Typically, sir and ma'am, though.
    "We are all special cases." - Camus

  4. #154
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,801
    But apparently, ma'am is inappropriate to address a female Senator as Barbara Boxer has indicated.

  5. #155
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    9,009
    You do realize it wasn't a serious question, don't you?
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

  6. #156
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    9,009
    Quote Originally Posted by surfgun View Post
    But apparently, ma'am is inappropriate to address a female Senator as Barbara Boxer has indicated.
    Because protocol dictates that she be addressed as "Senator".
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

  7. #157
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    16,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    You do realize it wasn't a serious question, don't you?
    Of course I do...and neither was my response, mostly
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

    "The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

  8. #158
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    16,747
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Because protocol dictates that she be addressed as "Senator".
    I've been looking for the official protocol for addressing a Congressperson in...um, person. Boxer said it was "just a thing".

    Pretty pretentious either way if you ask me. Even the Queen is addressed as "Your Majesty" once and then "Ma'am" thereafter.
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

    "The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

  9. #159
    Resident Curmudgeon Military Professional Gun Grape's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Mar 05
    Location
    Panama City Fl
    Posts
    9,009
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    I've been looking for the official protocol for addressing a Congressperson in...um, person. Boxer said it was "just a thing".

    Pretty pretentious either way if you ask me. Even the Queen is addressed as "Your Majesty" once and then "Ma'am" thereafter.
    From way back at Knife and fork school, we were taught to address them as Senator "Last Name", Just as you address a Flag Officer as General or Admiral . And you do so each time, until they get tired of it and tell you to call them Sir/Ma'am.
    Human Scum. Proud Never Trumper

  10. #160
    Official Thread Jacker Senior Contributor gunnut's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Jan 06
    Location
    DPRK, Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia
    Posts
    23,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Manning the rails. In Dress Blue Deltas. Hard to get it to suck much more than that.


    Since I'm seeing female sailors and Marines standing alongside the railing, I must ask:

    Are we still MANning the rails? or are we PERSONing the rails?

    I remember when the 2 Man Rule became 2 Person Integrity.

    On another note. I see that the WMs are wearing the same cover as male Marines with their Dress Blues. Its about time.
    Leave it to an old gunny to bring up the boogieperson of the PC era.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

  11. #161
    Senior Contributor SteveDaPirate's Avatar
    Join Date
    08 Aug 13
    Location
    Kansas City, United States
    Posts
    1,434
    On the topic of uniforms, why did the navy decide to go with this?

    Attachment 38241

    Doesn't that look a lot like the water you might find yourself swimming in on short notice? I can't help but think a neon orange or green might have been a garish, but better choice.

  12. #162
    Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    TopHatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    03 Sep 03
    Posts
    16,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
    On the topic of uniforms, why did the navy decide to go with this?
    "The overall blue color reflects the Navy's heritage and connection to seaborne operations. The pixelated pattern is also used to hide wear and stains, something unavoidable with the utilities and working khakis used previously. The colors were also chosen to match the most commonly used paint colors aboard ship, extending the lifetime of the uniform on long deployments where uniforms often come into contact with freshly painted surfaces. "
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

    "The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

  13. #163
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,781
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    "The overall blue color reflects the Navy's heritage and connection to seaborne operations. The pixelated pattern is also used to hide wear and stains, something unavoidable with the utilities and working khakis used previously. The colors were also chosen to match the most commonly used paint colors aboard ship, extending the lifetime of the uniform on long deployments where uniforms often come into contact with freshly painted surfaces. "
    I sure hope you are just quoting a public relations person and that in no way did you write that

    As to the comment about painted surfaces I now know where they got their idea. Obviously the Navy spent time watching house painters in their multi-colored overalls paint houses and thought hey.....

  14. #164
    Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Nov 09
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    3,781
    Oh, and another news article mentioned that the ship's crew is 1/3 women. I wonder how that might impact damage control? Isn't that a pet peeve of one of our members

  15. #165
    Senior Contributor DonBelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    01 Oct 08
    Location
    Taxachusetts, somewhere between Boston and Wista
    Posts
    1,070
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    "The overall blue color reflects the Navy's heritage and connection to seaborne operations. The pixelated pattern is also used to hide wear and stains, something unavoidable with the utilities and working khakis used previously. The colors were also chosen to match the most commonly used paint colors aboard ship, extending the lifetime of the uniform on long deployments where uniforms often come into contact with freshly painted surfaces. "
    In my day, washing your uniform was a way to hide stains. That, and not spilling paint all over yourself.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •