No announcement yet.

Euro Cup 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The dutch were runners up for the last world cup, which was only 2 years ago. The team is quite similar.

So its a big shock that they would be eliminated so early in the qualifying stages.

They were in control for the first ten minutes, then they lost it and never recovered.

Comment

I don't know if you have followed them over the years.

Their play is nice for watching, but start a bit rougher game and if you are lucky to score first against them... they turn into unorganized little kids and their discipline drops.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

The discipline thing you mentioned has been going on for many years now. it does rankle a bit. The chances of fouls go up and it creates a bad taste. The rumours are quite prevalent with the dutch, either that or they don't play as a team and want individual glory. But how could they have got to the final's in the last world cup if that was the case.

You expect them to play like pro's. They ARE pro's.

But it will start up in the knock out stages when the game is more critical do or die.

Commentator mentioned a game in WC 2006 in Nuremberg, called it the 'Battle of Nuremberg'. 2 send offs & 16 yellow cards, highest record of foul play ever for both WC & Euro. Disgraceful
        Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Jun 12,, 13:53.

Comment

They changed the shrink since WC maybe :shrugs:
          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            heh, yeah that's the problem with assessing teams on paper. The reality was anything but.

The score should have been higher, for the portugese.
            There was no fight in the Dutch team. They didn't seem to want it..no fire no commitment.

Comment

The dutch were runners up for the last world cup, which was only 2 years ago. The team is quite similar.
              It's true and its interesting point to raise, but things are tricky to explain in sport, the margins are small and they were in a tough group. It is alwalys the way to look at the teams that exit and point blame and the teams that advance receive less scrutiny but its an oversimplication. Despite that Iam going to put my neck out and forward an opinion on the dutch campaign :). I would agree withthe sentiment of others that the dutch clearly lacked team unity and drive. In the Portugal game in may have even been a lack of belief after what happened to them in the first 2 games.
              If you look at the Denmark game, they missed a host of chances and the Danes managed a smash and grab. Now the dutch ran out of the ideas in the last 20ms but we have seen time and again that teams struggle to break down defences at this level of the game, despite that they created an awful lot of chances early in the game. You get days like that in football but you can rarely afford them in a 3 match touranment format, especially facing 2 of the top 10 in the world in your following games. It is a punch in the gut thats difficult to recover from and the dutch failed. Now, they never received this blow in the world cup and its easy for everyone to play well when you dont get bad luck or have one of those days (ie Denmark game) and momentum does build in these competitions. IMO, this is what explains the difference between now and the world cup for the dutch. Mental fralities were exposed this time, introduced by their misfortune in the opening match, they couldnt handle the danish setback, the evidence isnt based on the fact they lost 2 more games against top quality oppostion, but because of the nature of the defeats. They played so poorly, no balance in the team, no cohesion, without confidence or effort despite so many great players. I felt the portugese were very negative in the opening match against the Germans but after watching that game last night iam pleased they advanced. The dutch simply didnt bring the right attitude that should accompany representing your country at this level.

So a combination of mental fralities, team unity, bad luck and quality oppostion see the dutch out. Actually I havnt stuck my neck out at all on that 1, just used every plausible explanation in my analysis .

Doktor is right that teams with big name players can have these problems with work etiquette and unity. Big egos and all that, but just watch the spanish for example. Full of stars but play as a team and man do they work hard and win it back fast. They probably dont even all like each other with the rivarly in recent years between Barca and Madrid even worse than normal and the catalonia issue. Thats speculation on my part but if it is true than all the more impressive imo. Spanish team is comprised of real pros.
              Last edited by tantalus; 18 Jun 12,, 15:38.

Comment

Commentator mentioned a game in WC 2006 in Nuremberg, called it the 'Battle of Nuremberg'. 2 send offs & 16 yellow cards, highest record of foul play ever for both WC & Euro. Disgraceful
                It was actually 4 send-offs and 16 yellow cards. And it was against Portugal. Although to be fair the referee did get carried away in that game.

Comment

heh, yeah that's the problem with assessing teams on paper. The reality was anything but.

The score should have been higher, for the portugese.
                  If Nani had played as if he was in a team instead of being a greedy prima , they would have been in double figures , and he missed a goal a 10 year old cud have put away .
                  Last edited by tankie; 18 Jun 12,, 18:49.

Comment

Originally posted by tankie View Post
                    If Nani had played as if he was in a team instead of being a greedy prima , they would have been in double figures , and he missed a goal a 10 year old cud have put away .
                    We are forgetting the contributions of Stecklenburg here. He saved at least three sure goals.

Comment

/\

Thats what they get paid for ;)

Comment

There's something dodgy about that Spanish goal.

looked off side to me but the studio said it was a handball off Iniesta.

Too bad for the Croats, ref nor linesman saw it.

Comment

It was near the end and they had to win though so not as bad. I was watching the irish game naturally, but I heard that the Croats should have scored before that and the spanish would have been out had they lost so maybe they are quite lucky. It would have been some shock...

Comment

No Villa or Pujol. The Spanish team is just not the same without them. They looked beatable and these guys are #1.

Comment

Yet another call goes out for playback tech , stop the friggin cheats .

Comment

OMG just seen Englands line up for tonight against Ukraine , no carrol /no walcott / Rooney the friggin wonderhorse upfront on his own and that dozy cheatin wanker milner in midfield on the right , bye bye England .Adraw is all we need , please prove me wrong and win , but ?????????

Comment

Working...
                                X